Scotland v England 150th year anniversary match

Kane and Bellingham aside, none of those names particularly worry me. All are good-very good players, but hardly a team packed with World XI talent.

P.S. saying that, I'd bite your hand off for any one of their forwards

Edited by Gordopolis

14 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Kane and Bellingham aside, none of those names particularly worry me. All are good-very good players, but hardly a team packed with World XI talent.

P.S. saying that, I'd bite your hand off for any one of their forwards

The issue is they play a way that no team seems to be able to counter unless they have world class full backs.  Italy and France for example.  They simply get it wide to Saka or Grealish and they cut it back for Kane on the penalty spot to slot it home.  Nearly all of their goals at Euro 2020 were like that, and quite a few of them at the World Cup last year were like that too.  If you keep England playing through the middle they are very beatable.  Let them have it out wide and Kane will have a field day.

The top Nigel club sides (City, The Arsenal, Liverpool) play exactly the same way.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

England squad announced.

F42kNB6WIAAOZ_y?format=webp&name=900x900

Johnstone, Dunk, Colwill, Gallagher and Philips are either bizarre inclusions or a real worry for England if that's the best they have in reserve. 

Bellingham has started very well in Madrid and Kane can score out of nothing. Saka and Rice are in decent form for Arsenal. Definitely able to get at them though if we can keep them out at the other end.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I reckon they're slightly worse and we're a lot better since the last time we played them in the Euros. However, that doesn't mean they aren't a strong team who will probably be narrow favourites for the match.

I feel quietly confident, which I hate and normally I’m nervously pessimistic and it turns out I’m wrong.

I expect they’ll be favourites though, English media and hype will see to that.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I reckon they're slightly worse and we're a lot better since the last time we played them in the Euros. However, that doesn't mean they aren't a strong team who will probably be narrow favourites for the match.

I’m not sure how they are slightly worse?

Removing Phillips and Mount for Bellingham and Saka alone improves them hugely… 

99F1CCD9-953A-4DA2-8D8E-AFACE9EB4D7B.png

Other key players have lost form and their results and performances have been nowhere near that Euros campaign, where they probably were the best team in the tournament. There's a reason they are in a Nations League group below us and never really got close to the World Cup.

Will never not find it funny how desperate they are to be clever and play Alexander-Arnold in central midfield.

An experiment that hopefully continues against us.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Other key players have lost form and their results and performances have been nowhere near that Euros campaign, where they probably were the best team in the tournament. There's a reason they are in a Nations League group below us and never really got close to the World Cup.

They were terrible in the Nations League but I’m not entirely sure they were taking it too seriously. They were fine at the WC and ultimately only tightly lost to probably the only team in Europe better than them right now. 

I’m not sure which key players have lost form?

Defensively they weren’t great then, and certainly still aren’t but going forward all their key players such as Bellingham, Rice, Saka, Foden, Kane have started the season very well…

Replacing Phillips with Bellingham in itself is a ridiculous upgrade. 

8 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

99F1CCD9-953A-4DA2-8D8E-AFACE9EB4D7B.png

Actually quite impressive some of these jobbers got to a European Championship Final. 

8 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure which key players have lost form?

In fairness, Sterling was on fire at that tournament, wouldn’t say Rashford is anything near that form and Grealish is a different sort of player. Luke Shaw also looked as close to an elite footballer as he ever has done at that tournament too, although Chilwell’s maybe a step up?

I’d say the choice of midfielders - Bellingham aside - and centre halves in this squad look, on paper, worse than that of the Euros squad. Should caveat this by saying I don’t watch an awful lot of Premier League football these days so I could be miles wide of that mark with that assumption. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Actually quite impressive some of these jobbers got to a European Championship Final. 

In fairness, Sterling was on fire at that tournament, wouldn’t say Rashford is anything near that form and Grealish is a different sort of player. Luke Shaw also looked as close to an elite footballer as he ever has done at that tournament too, although Chilwell’s maybe a step up?

I’d say the choice of midfielders - Bellingham aside - and centre halves in this squad look, on paper, worse than that of the Euros squad. Should caveat this by saying I don’t watch an awful lot of Premier League football these days so I could be miles wide of that mark with that assumption. 

At the Euros against us they played a midfield three of Phillips, Rice and Mount - two of which are genuinely horrible football players IMO - in comparison to their replacements anyway. 

Sterling was good tbf, but you move the team about and replace him with Saka who is better IMO. I just think replacing Phillips who is terrible, with a proper world class player in Bellingham transforms them as a side. 

They are missing Stones from this squad so could argue they are weaker there I guess and Maguire is obviously even further away from form, if that is possible!  I would say Chillwell and Shaw are possibly around the same. 

Let’s hope Pickford continues to be their first choice goalkeeper…