Injuries

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

England using on of their forward slots on Theo Walcott at the 2006 World Cup springs to mind. 

Going to Germany with only two recognised strikers in a squad of 26 would be mental. 

Doak will have been viewed as a striking option. Where else did you think Clarke viewed him as playing when he called him up?

Almost all his u21 games have been there too.

IMO we'll be starting with one up front in every game, so two senior strikers and a wildcard feels right when you've suffered a major injury. Conway or Doak is the decision IMO, and for me Doak would be better suited to trying to change a game late on.

8 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Football fans go too heavy with "he isn't a striker", "he can't play there", etc.

Players aren't born with positions on their DNA.

It's a different position, not a different sport.

But yes, Gemmill has been playing Doak the same way that he played Burke (as a number 9) and he's done quite well. Scored against Hungary and got an assist vs Spain.

The Liverpool u21s play the same system as the Liverpool senior team, so Doak is an inside forward of a front three.

There's anal retentive people here so let's get back to topic:

Apparently Dykes broke his ankle. Such bad luck for the lad.

Most players can fill in at multiple positions but it doesn't mean they will be as effective compared to playing in their main position. 

One key difference is that club teams have all season to work on their shape, tactics, formations etc. 

Clarke only has a limited amount of time with the squad and has probably been training the same patterns of play for the last couple of years now so the team have a system to follow. Moving a couple of players around and then putting McTominay in an alien position as the CF will take a lot of work over a number of games to show if this can be successful and I doubt Clarke will be thinking of doing this unless things get really desperate.

I can see Doak playing there though considering his time in the under21s playing there as his technical ability and pace could be used as an effective outball to get us up the pitch 

11 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'll be damned if any other team at Euro 2024 has a worse group of forwards than we do. Really hoping McTominay and McGinn step up and get whatever goals we get themselves.

The fact that almost 90% of our goals in qualifying were not scored by strikers suggests we will be relying on goals from other parts of the team.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Doak will have been viewed as a striking option. Where else did you think Clarke viewed him as playing when he called him up?

IMO we'll be starting with one up front in every game, so two senior strikers and a wildcard feels right when you've suffered a major injury. Conway or Doak is the decision IMO, and for me Doak would be better suited to trying to change a game late on.

Playing off the main striker (like Fraser with Dykes circa 2021) or in a wide position if we have to switch it up.

What happens if Adams gets injured in the first game? We’d be majorly short. Taking three number 9s gives us way more flexibility. 

My call would be Conway and Doak both going with the seventh choice CB dropping out. 

9 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Playing off the main striker (like Fraser with Dykes circa 2021) or in a wide position if we have to switch it up.

What happens if Adams gets injured in the first game? We’d be majorly short. Taking three number 9s gives us way more flexibility. 

My call would be Conway and Doak both going with the seventh choice CB dropping out. 

So you think it's likely Doak was called up for a position he's never played for club or U21s, yet the idea he'll be played where the u21s always played him is ridiculous?

This is pointless.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Conway is better for set pieces. He is quite tall. 

16 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

McBurnie is levels above the other jobbers mentioned

More English premier league appearances than the rest combined 

Not overly convinced that SSC will give the time of day to an anti Catholic bigoted arsehole tbf.

Anybody else see this light over Hampden last night???

EB56EF46-967C-4644-BBD8-1B11CFCE9D36.jpeg

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

So you think it's likely Doak was called up for a position he's never played for club or U21s, yet the idea he'll be played where the u21s always played him is ridiculous?

This is pointless.

All of his appearances for the Liverpool first team have been out wide, he will be in the squad for the same reason as Forrest, to give us an option off the bench in a wider area if we need to change things up. He could play alongside a main striker with his pace as well. We cannot have a raw, inexperienced diminutive winger playing as our main striker at a major tournament, he would get eaten alive no matter how good he is.

23 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Not overly convinced that SSC will give the time of day to an anti Catholic bigoted arsehole tbf.

Did I miss something with McBurnie? He's rubbish and probably an arsehole as well but I don't remember anything unsavoury.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Did I miss something with McBurnie? He's rubbish and probably an arsehole as well but I don't remember anything unsavoury.

He is an out & out bigot, I have zero time for Celticy terrorist adoring types obviously, but he won't even go into a huddle with a team in another country that has nowt to do with that nonsense because he hates ra kafflicks so much. Vile attempt of a human being.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is pointless.

The idea of picking someone who’s never played up front against adults as one of our three striking options is ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

He is an out & out bigot, I have zero time for Celticy terrorist adoring types obviously, but he won't even go into a huddle with a team in another country that has nowt to do with that nonsense because he hates ra kafflicks so much. Vile attempt of a human being.

I'm not following. What does a huddle have to do with Catholicism?

13 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

The fact that Ryan Jack did it is just so Scottish. If it was the other way round it would be a shoulder shrug.

Is that a fact though?

51 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Anybody else see this light over Hampden last night???

EB56EF46-967C-4644-BBD8-1B11CFCE9D36.jpeg

Simon Murray, 23 goals, all from open play, for a honking Ross County team, is some achievement.

Murray would be perfect as a rough tough, get in about them, replacement for Dylan Dykes. 

It's about time this Scotland team had more ginger anger 🤩😆

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not following. What does a huddle have to do with Catholicism?

In his tiny little mind, Huddle= Celtic=Feenyun=Catholicism. I am veering close to Clown Job territory I know but SSC will not be kindly disposed to him given McBurnies clear bigoted prejudice

5 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Simon Murray, 23 goals, all from open play, for a honking Ross County team, is some achievement.

Murray would be perfect as a rough tough, get in about them, replacement for Dylan Dykes. 

Somebody said it last week, Chuck him on for the last 10 minutes against Germany and he will either score or get sent off, it can only add to the tournament!!!

4 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Given what Joselu has achieved recently, sod it, why not? He already has his own theme tune so that is a plus point.