Injuries

Armstrong, McTominay and Doak training away from the rest of the squad.

Probably trying to manage their injuries. There's a fortnight to recover, so hopefully they recover.

I doubt either of them will play any part against Gibraltar. They'll most probably stay in Scotland and receive treatment.

Just now, H Wragg said:

Could someone explain to me what the thinking would be if Clarke were not to call somebody up.

What is there to lose?

I suppose the thinking is he’s already got the 23 outfield players there and there’s no point calling someone up who is unlikely to play. Plan A, B and C (in some order) will be Adams, Shankland and false nine. 

Just as I ask that question, Clarke has said he'll think about whether or not to call up a replacement over the next few days.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Armstrong, McTominay and Doak training away from the rest of the squad.

Probably trying to manage their injuries. There's a fortnight to recover, so hopefully they recover.

I doubt either of them will play any part against Gibraltar. They'll most probably stay in Scotland and receive treatment.

This is pretty annoying because losing three players in a similar area of the pitch probably means Christie and McGinn having to play minutes tomorrow. I don’t really want McGinn in particular to be anywhere near that match. 

Hopefully McTominay is fit for Friday as I’d like to see the false nine thing tried out before the tournament. 

Edited by JS_FFC

10 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I suppose the thinking is he’s already got the 23 outfield players there and there’s no point calling someone up who is unlikely to play. Plan A, B and C (in some order) will be Adams, Shankland and false nine. 

Brophy got a call-up, so anything is possible. Announce Simon Murray.

I think it would be Ross Stewart that I would go for, depending on what Russell Martin had to say about his readiness to contribute.

I would want him in the squad versus Gibraltar though to get him some minutes. 

6 minutes ago, edinabear said:

To not call up another striker would be absolutely mental. Can't go into a tournament with just 2 strikers and 4 goalkeepers! Conway, Hardie, Stewart anyone!

Considering we are losing players at the rate of 2 per week, not calling up a striker would IMO be an act of self sabotage.

31 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

This is pretty annoying because losing three players in a similar area of the pitch probably means Christie and McGinn having to play minutes tomorrow. I don’t really want McGinn in particular to be anywhere near that match. 

Hopefully McTominay is fit for Friday as I’d like to see the false nine thing tried out before the tournament. 

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing, especially regarding McGinn. He's been playing pretty much every minute in four competitions. The lad needs a fortnight of a rest.

Couldn't agree more about the false 9, mate. It doesn't actually deviate much from our current system which is why I think our players wouldn't require much time to adapt to it.

39 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Think McGinn himself will want to play tomorrow, he’s desperate to get his goals tally to 30 and would see tomorrow’s game as a good shout at getting to it!!!

2 hours ago, H Wragg said:

Could someone explain to me what the thinking would be if Clarke were not to call somebody up.

What is there to lose?

I suppose there might be an element of not wanting to piss off, for example, Souttar if Clarke selects someone for the final squad who wasn't in the initial 28. Calling in someone new could slightly disrupt preparations, too, though I'd imagine losing Dykes has already done that. 

I think it would be a mistake to not call anyone up and don't agree with either of the above points, but I don't think it'd be out of character for Clarke to do it - just like with bringing four goalkeepers.

7 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I suppose there might be an element of not wanting to piss off, for example, Souttar if Clarke selects someone for the final squad who wasn't in the initial 28. 

If Souttar was a striker, and fit to play,  then absolutely I'd expect him to be pissed off if Clarke ditched him and brought another striker in.

But he's not, he's a defender. The loss of Dykes has slightly upset the squad balance, so I don't think Souttar could or should take it as a slight if he was cut and a Dykes replacement was brought in to correct that balance.

BTW I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just framing your point in a different light!

2 hours ago, H Wragg said:

What is there to lose?

The u21s are playing on the same days as the seniors. All the other players would have to cancel their holiday, etc, for a camp that they'll probably be cut from.

Posted (edited)

Scotland only really play with one striker anyway.

We have Adams, Shankland and then McTominay and Doak, McGinn, Forrest and Christie who can all play as a number 10.

Steve Clarke isn't going to call up a replacement for Dykes. No chance.

What this means is Clarke will cut a goalkeeper and leave the outfield selection as it is.

Clarke is screwed if two or four players who are carrying little niggles end up pulling out of the squad.

He should've named a 33 man squad, especially because of the amount of players carrying knocks.

Edited by SlayerX

1 minute ago, SlayerX said:

We have Adams, Shankland and then McTominay and Doak, McGinn and Christie who can all play as a number 10.

What this means is Clarke will cut a goalkeeper and leave the outfield selection as it is.

Clarke is screwed if two or four players who are carrying little niggles end up pulling out of the squad.

He should've named a 33 man squad, especially because of the amount of players carrying knocks.

There's a very good chance he's gonna call up Conway from u/21s considering the likes of Adams and Doak having recent injuries, he's shown in the past he's not scared to throw in new players if they are good enough so I wouldn't be shocked if he was drafted in. 

33 players, are you serious man? We haven't got the depth for that. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

If Clarke doesn't call up a replacment, then it shows he is out of his depth here. 

I can't take this board seriously sometimes. Please god these can't be peoples actual thought through, genuine opinions. 

Edited by 2426255

32 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

We have Adams, Shankland and then McTominay and Doak, McGinn, Forrest and Christie who can all play as a number 10.

It's a 26 man squad. Taking a 7th central defender instead of replacing Dykes, ensuring we are one injury away from being massively reliant on one striker, would be mental.

There's no evidence Christie or McTominay or whoever can lead the line better than the reserve striker options, and moving them there would further weaken us in areas already weakened by the loss of Ferguson.

Surely Clarke is just taking the extra time to consider who that replacement is.