St Mirren V Dundee

Only thing I’m sure of is this. If St Mirren win, before firing up my iPad and logging into P&B, I’m firstly pouring a chilled Sam Adams and opening a large bag of Monster Munch. If St Mirren lose, my iPad is going in the drawer and I’m watching re-runs of Tipping Point or The Repair Shop.

Don’t fcuk this up St Mirren. 😎😜

Talking of Cammy Fraser I seem to remember a Saints v Dundee game in the early 80s that was abandoned in the first half

My memory is that it was the last game of the season, in May, and was abandoned after a freak shower of rain, like the recent Scotland game

I seem to remember Cammy Fraser scoring a stormer from long range but not sure in the original game or the replay

I remember we just let everyone in for free for the rearranged game

I think we won the replayed game but can’t remember all the details

Any historians out there remember these games?

3 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Talking of Cammy Fraser I seem to remember a Saints v Dundee game in the early 80s that was abandoned in the first half

My memory is that it was the last game of the season, in May, and was abandoned after a freak shower of rain, like the recent Scotland game

I seem to remember Cammy Fraser scoring a stormer from long range but not sure in the original game or the replay

The crowd for the replayed game was susbstantially higher, of course, including the addition of a young me.

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Not Dundee Hibernian - when they became United some wanted to be sectarian- I think they ended up at the third incarnation of the now defunct Dundee Harp (not to be confused with the juniors Lochee Garp).

By sectarian I suppose you mean catholic only? Maybe a Catholic-only club (as the original Edinburgh Hibs were) is sectarian using the dictionary definition of the word but I think in the context of society at that time, when Catholics were openly discriminated against, it's not a word I'd use to describe them. If it opened today with that policy it would be different but at that time I think it was more seen as a necessity rather than anything bigoted. 

10 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

May 83. Replayed on the Monday night, Saints won 2-1

ETA the Fraser goal was in the abandoned game, a volley from the edge of the box from a corner.

Funnily enough me and my cousin were talking about that game during the Forfar game (when we had a similar cloudburst).

Edited by Arch Stanton

Just now, Molotov said:

IMG_3531.jpeg.46bb1b1f21b01622065fa85586b155c5.jpeg

Taken at Dens after Saints won the first division under Fergie with 4 games to go. That’s two titles I’ve seen clinched against Dundee. 

“Drinking in those Dundee tears since 1977.”

More of the same tomorrow please!

IMG_3532.thumb.jpeg.621fa446e3623c1665aa74be58a68880.jpeg

Beat them in all 3 league games that season, 4-0 and 3-1 at SMP, 4-0 at DP.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Were Dundee not deemed favourites that season?

Ended up finishing 3rd way behind ourselves and a Davie Cooper and Mike Larnach inspired Clydebank.

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The first win over Dundee that season is one of my earliest memories going to Saints games

It was after that game that folk started to believe we’d get promoted as Dundee were heavily fancied. They had guys like Gordon Strachan and Billy Pirie who scored a remarkable number of goals that season

Incredible to think that guys like Frank McGarvey, Billy Stark, Gordon Strachan, Davie Cooper, Mark McGhee, Mike Lanarch, and others were all in the First Division that season

Slim pickings these days 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

lightning - your spelling is a disgrace. 

Are you honestly saying people in Paisley are scared of thunderstorms?

😂 

It was a simple typographical error, I can assure you! 🤥

Aye, well at the Forfar game a lot of folk got drenched, including me. 

1 hour ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

How are tickets in the away (Dundee) end going, anyone know?

Weather looks bad, though unsure whether that will put folk off or not?

Screenshot2023-08-1115_35_06.png.7050264ee44e2c375f0e7780ef1faa24.png

Warm and showers with sunny intervals I would say that's your typical summer Scottish weather. I'm coming by bus, ferry, train weather won't put me off COYS.