St Mirren V Dundee

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The Dudee penalty is actually a tremendous spot from VAR.

Not one single person in the stadium spotted it. Nobody had a clue what it was for.

But the VAR spotted it and called it 100% correct.

Great call.

I'm guessing there's a hint of sarcasm here?

The problem of course with these 'great calls' is how many other similar 'great calls' don't happen.

I've zero doubt this season that we WILL see penalties given by VAR/refs for the one Hearts/Shankland didn't get on Sunday.

Aside from offside and goal line technologies we're still at the mercy of human beings making decisions - complete with both hones/dishonest mistakes.

Shaughnessy is Dundee captain, if he told the taker to aim for a specific area then it's Shaughnessy's fault (whether that came from Carson's origin comment, or not) if the penalty is saved.

Should Robinson have done better? ( :lol: .. no need to answer that!)

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Shaughnessy is Dundee captain, if he told the taker to aim for a specific area then it's Shaughnessy's fault (whether that came from Carson's origin comment, or not) if the penalty is saved.

Should Robinson have done better? ( :lol: .. no need to answer that!)

Think it's poor from Shaughnessy to be honest.

Robinson has a decent track record from the spot but has only just turned 21. He'd scored all 5 penalties he took for us last season, but missed one against Raith due to hitting the inside of the post in a decisive penalty. Filling his head with that sort of stuff would make an experienced player second guess himself. That's the sort of thing that should be relayed days before the game, not in the seconds before he strikes the ball.

Carson and/or Shaughnessy should have known better IMO.

When does Div flush this thread down the P&B roofless lavvies before wheeling it down the North Bank ramp in a wheelbarrow towards a final burial at the door of the Cosmo chippy? Please tell me it’s before Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think it's poor from Shaughnessy to be honest.

Robinson has a decent track record from the spot but has only just turned 21. He'd scored all 5 penalties he took for us last season, but missed one against Raith due to hitting the inside of the post in a decisive penalty. Filling his head with that sort of stuff would make an experienced player second guess himself. That's the sort of thing that should be relayed days before the game, not in the seconds before he strikes the ball.

Carson and/or Shaughnessy should have known better IMO.

Totally agree. The last thing a penalty taker needs is someone whispering in his ear 30 seconds before he kicks the ball. 
Shocking behaviour from two senior professionals. 
But we did enjoy the emotions that brief spell brought. 
As soon as a VAR penalty decision is called it’s odds on that it will be given.

Huge cheer from opposing supporters! Boos ring out from us. 

Then the miss and the GIRFUY to the away supporters.
But instead it was actually Carson that copped the flak as he had been spotted by most people passing on the message. 

It’s a rollercoaster of emotions. Certainly one of the greatest things in football. Penalty shootouts are off the scale. 

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Shocking behaviour from two senior professionals.

Now, you see.. I don't mind that. They are just doing their best for the team they are at. Heh... or at least thought they were doing their best.

I'll not lie, if we signed someone and they were playing against their former club and they passed on a message and it worked, ooh.. I'd be milking that for the banter. ;)