Celtic v St. Johnstone

Really pleased with that performance today and we tried to play when we could get the ball. Brave team selection but shows manager is using his own players and no position is safe you have to work for it. We now have a point on the board which makes things look better.

Well done team and well done Steven Maclean.

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Rangers don’t look great either so it really could go either way but I agree about the Champions League so hopefully after last week and today they have a plan to get the chequebook out before the window shuts.

It was Jim Duffy (I think) on OTB at lunchtime that made a very valid point that the reason Brendan and the Board fell out the last time round was the lack of spends but equally, in the current market, very mediocre players are commanding transfer fees of many £millions. (“Couldn’t trap a bag of cement” being an easily imagined reality). Truth is, Celtic (and before you jump in, Rangers too) need to get much better at scouting.  

Scottish chequebooks seem of little value these days. 

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

It was Jim Duffy (I think) on OTB at lunchtime that made a very valid point that the reason Brendan and the Board fell out the last time round was the lack of spends but equally, in the current market, very mediocre players are commanding transfer fees of many £millions. (“Couldn’t trap a bag of cement” being an easily imagined reality). Truth is, Celtic (and before you jump in, Rangers too) need to get much better at scouting.  

It’s a fair point, we have brought in some really good signings over the past few seasons but also a fair amount that just look pretty average Kobayashi, Jenz, Ideguchi, Bernabei and a few others. It’s far too early to tell with current recruits much like Rangers I guess but what is clear at least from our side we have some key positions where we are pretty weak and we also seem to lack a bit of physicality.

Aye Celtic look levels below what they were last season. Losing Hatate and Jota a big blow but with their financial power etc., it shouldnt be as devastating as seems like it has been. Seemed really easy for us to just mark McGregor and the CBs didnt have a clue what to do really.

In saying that Mitov pulled off at least 2 saves that virtually every other keeper we've had since promotion doesnt make, maybe even 3, but going to Parkhead and not conceding chances is nigh on impossible.

A benchmark been set and its great to have a young, energetic, hard working squad again. It will hopefully help some senior players struggling for form, by taking them out the firing line for a bit, taking some pressure off their shoulders, and by making sure they know they have to fight for a starting spot.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye Celtic look levels below what they were last season. Losing Hatate and Jota a big blow but with their financial power etc., it shouldnt be as devastating as seems like it has been. Seemed really easy for us to just mark McGregor and the CBs didnt have a clue what to do really.

In saying that Mitov pulled off at least 2 saves that virtually every other keeper we've had since promotion doesnt make, maybe even 3, but going to Parkhead and not conceding chances is nigh on impossible.

A benchmark been set and its great to have a young, energetic, hard working squad again. It will hopefully help some senior players struggling for form, by taking them out the firing line for a bit, taking some pressure off their shoulders, and by making sure they know they have to fight for a starting spot.

Just hope Mitov leg is not going to rule him out of the "Big Derby" next week!

4 minutes ago, Center half said:

Just hope Mitov leg is not going to rule him out of the "Big Derby" next week!

Yeah thats the worry, as it looked like 2 separate knocks?

Whatever happened with the save (cramp hopefully?), and then the second time he went over his ankle.

He could genuinely be the difference between us staying up or not, regardless of what everyone else does.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Behave.

They'll pump your lot rotten.

No chance.

They're atrocious, can't defend, think that's their first clean sheet this season. We haven't been electric but we've been quite solid at the back and creating lots of chances. Games at Ibrox without celtc fans. 

33 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Yet they are still closer to you than us, for now anyway 😉

You haven’t looked like pumping anyone mate, you might want to calm down a little 🤣

What's your best result this season compared to ours? 

We have room for optimism, you guys are looking nervous at every position on the pitch. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Paddy said:

99% sure he was spoofing.

Felt a twinge and milked it.

Don't think so. After the one-handed take the slow-mo showed that he rolled his left ankle a bit. Pretty sure it was a sore one.

Saying that his kicking didn't seem to suffer.

He was down for a bit but neither that nor the subs explains 8 added minutes though, not that it mattered in the end.

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Don't think so. After the one-handed take the slow-mo showed that he rolled his left ankle a bit. Pretty sure it was a sore one.

Saying that his kicking didn't seem to suffer.

He was down for a bit but neither that nor the subs explains 8 added minutes though, not that it mattered in the end.

8 mins plus...

Is "Brenda time" going to become a thing?

17 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

No chance.

They're atrocious, can't defend, think that's their first clean sheet this season. We haven't been electric but we've been quite solid at the back and creating lots of chances. Games at Ibrox without celtc fans. 

What's your best result this season compared to ours? 

We have room for optimism, you guys are looking nervous at every position on the pitch. 

21/22 taught you f**k all it seems 🤣

But you stay optimistic pal but this post has serious arse biting potential. 

Just now, Jinky67 said:

21/22 taught you f**k all it seems 🤣

But you stay optimistic pal but this post has serious arse biting potential. 

I'm just calling it on what I've seen, at least with Ange you could see a style emerging...

Aye that's what forums need, if we win convincingly I'm laughing and if we lose then at least everyone can have some amusement at my expense. 

Anyway I'll leave it here as I don't want to detract from St Johnstone and ruin the thread. Enjoy your evening. 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

You lot voting for Brexit hasn't helped the £ either.

Was at this game as a neutral today (my kid supports Celtic so I take him sometimes) and felt a draw was about right. Would've liked the ref to deal with the time wasting better - if he had booked the Saints keeper in the first half the ball would've been in play a lot more in the second half. Good saves for both keepers, one seemingly awful miss, overall thought it was a decent match.

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

Was at this game as a neutral today (my kid supports Celtic so I take him sometimes) and felt a draw was about right. Would've liked the ref to deal with the time wasting better - if he had booked the Saints keeper in the first half the ball would've been in play a lot more in the second half. Good saves for both keepers, one seemingly awful miss, overall thought it was a decent match.

Jim…Goodwin? Is that you? 

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

Was at this game as a neutral today (my kid supports Celtic so I take him sometimes) and felt a draw was about right. Would've liked the ref to deal with the time wasting better - if he had booked the Saints keeper in the first half the ball would've been in play a lot more in the second half.

Good lord.