St Mirren - v - Aberdeen 27 August

A lot to unpack following that performance today. The first half is arguably the best we have played in a while, but only had ourselves to blame for not making it count. It was an afternoon of small margins but we won't come up against an Aberdeen side playing worse than that so can't help feel gutted by the scoreline regardless of when the equaliser came.

I thought Gogic was a stand out performer today. I know many people prefer him in the middle of the park, but he marshalled the defence brilliantly today and kept Miovski quiet for the most part. He's very unfortunate for the penalty, it's an honest attempt to block the ball and the sort of challenge that we love him putting in. I haven't seen it back but in fairness I would have been screaming for it if it was the other way around. Also, Taylor again continues to improve, and I really like Greive as an impact sub.

A couple of slight negatives, what is Strain doing diving in the first half? He's in a fantastic position to shoot, or at least try and cut the ball back. In the world of VAR you're never going to get away with it anyway. Stupid considering the circumstances.

Probably obvious, but Zach Hemming didn't have much to do today. However, he really needs to command his box more for the goal. We have been blessed with some fantastic goalkeepers in recent years but Hemming is yet to fill me with confidence, though I hope he proves me wrong.

And Oluysana was fantastic today. I know he wouldn't be at St Mirren if he could consistently finish - but he really needs to be doing better when one on one in the second half.

Overall, a mixed afternoon. Some decent football on show and no doubt an exciting game for the neutral but feels like a chance missed.

1 minute ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

A lot to unpack following that performance today. The first half is arguably the best we have played in a while, but only had ourselves to blame for not making it count. It was an afternoon of small margins but we won't come up against an Aberdeen side playing worse than that so can't help feel gutted by the scoreline regardless of when the equaliser came.

I thought Gogic was a stand out performer today. I know many people prefer him in the middle of the park, but he marshalled the defence brilliantly today and kept Miovski quiet for the most part. He's very unfortunate for the penalty, it's an honest attempt to block the ball and the sort of challenge that we love him putting in. I haven't seen it back but in fairness I would have been screaming for it if it was the other way around. Also, Taylor again continues to improve, and I really like Greive as an impact sub.

A couple of slight negatives, what is Strain doing diving in the first half? He's in a fantastic position to shoot, or at least try and cut the ball back. In the world of VAR you're never going to get away with it anyway. Stupid considering the circumstances.

Probably obvious, but Zach Hemming didn't have much to do today. However, he really needs to command his box more for the goal. We have been blessed with some fantastic goalkeepers in recent years but Hemming is yet to fill me with confidence, though I hope he proves me wrong.

And Oluysana was fantastic today. I know he wouldn't be at St Mirren if he could consistently finish - but he really needs to be doing better when one on one in the second half.

Overall, a mixed afternoon. Some decent football on show and no doubt an exciting game for the neutral but feels like a chance missed.

Was it not Fraser that dived? Could be wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I've lost count of the number of teams that put in their worst performance ever / of the season in Paisley over the last year or so. How can this be, must be something in the atmosphere that turns opposition players to utter dross the minute they take to the SMISA pitch.  Very mysterious,  or maybe just maybe they were playing against a very decent team. As for the likes or Random dipping in here, come back when the Fakes get to 7 points, we might see you in that case in about late October. 

You didnt beat us though did you? Despite being at home and a very decent team 

That was a mixture of concerning and amusing. We were dreadful. But to score two goals after playing so poorly, one of which is an 100th-minute penalty that I thought was going to be disallowed and the other a cross from a free-kick that somehow ends up in the net, is very funny. 

I haven't seen any of the incidents back, but I was stunned in the ground that the equaliser wasn't disallowed. Delighted, but I was convinced that he had struck it twice in real time, but it must have been fine. I didn't even bother celebrating until Beaton signalled that it was a goal and the Saints fans in the corner started throwing stuff at Miovski. 

Edited by DrewDon

1 minute ago, afc_blockhead said:

We were a very decent team at home last season too and had the same issue. We drew 2-2 with St. Johnstone and Hearts with 90th minute equalisers in both despite being pretty dominant in both.

We do need to start seeing games out that we are the far better side in. Though that being said, if we can maintain the good home record and improve slightly on last seasons poor away form then we'll end this season in a stronger position.

38 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

Gutted not to win that. But it shows that if we keep our best players, we have a chance of 3rd. Aberdeen were shite because we dominated them and were very lucky. Duk only popped up either to foul someone or be subbed. Miovski did f**k all too.

And Aberdeen fans are called delusional. 

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Definitely Strain. I actually thought there was a wee pull of his jersey before his ridiculous swan dive.

I thought that as well. 

Wondered if VAR awarded the penalty if his yellow card would be overturned.  

Then realised how fundamentally flawed that thinking was.  

16 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Did I say we did ?

It's getting boring hearing club after clubs fans coming on here telling us it's the worst performance since they were knee high to a grasshopper. 

Whatever transpires regarding the VAR decisions, the most annoying thing today was our failure to bury a very poor team. Again.

We were in control from start to finish.The only two things of note that Hemming had to do, was pick the ball out of the net twice. I don't remember him having to make a save. Although his mistake for their first was a shocker. Much like the free kick we conceded from against Hearts last season.

We actually look like a very decent team. If only we could be more clinical in front of goal.

Wasn't particularly impressed with Strain's dive.

What a run and pass from big Mika for our second goal.Not bad for someone we were told was useless.

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

And Aberdeen fans are called delusional. 

All football fans are delusional - we are fanatics (literally).

A point stolen is always sweet especially for the seethe from opposing fans but the three Aberdeen players running across the pitch to goad the Northbank was just daft and could have caused serious bother.  It wasn't necessary and isn't a good look.

Played Hibs, Dundee and Aberdeen and have seven points on the board.  Knocked Motherwell out of the cup.  All in we should be happy when the disappointment dies down.

Aberdeen played Livi, Celtic and St Mirren two points on the board and definite late McInnes vibes from the way you were set up and played today.  

But in saying that, your new strip looks really smart.

Edited by Dagdagh
poor punctuation