St Mirren - v - Aberdeen 27 August

23 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think that clip is pretty conclusive but I take your point that it's on a phone.

Are there not VAR cameras behind the goals though? Presumably that was inconclusive too? Does St Mirren TV / Sportscene not have access to VAR cameras behind the goal?

I meant I’m looking at it on a phone. The camera person might be using a state of the art telephoto for all I know.

I don’t think VAR requires cameras behind the goal from memory. 18 yard lines for offside and a centre line one I think. Would be surprised if they had extra cameras there for the telly too. 

Edited by coprolite
How many cameras will there be? A minimum of six cameras – two in the main stands, one on each of the 18-yard lines and one behind each goal. If there are any additional cameras at the match (e.g. Sky matches), the VAR will have access to the additional

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I meant I’m looking at it on a phone. The camera person might be using a state of the art telephoto for all I know.

I don’t think VAR requires cameras behind the goal from memory. 18 yard lines for offside and a centre line one I think. Would be surprised if they had extra cameras there for the telly too. 

SFA website  says there are cameras behind each goal. Although, thinking about it, I don't remember seeing any behind the goals at St Mirren Park.

Screenshot_20230829_163448_Chrome Beta.jpg

10 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

Someone literally sent you a video of a very recent one ...

That doesn’t mean it happens often nor does it mean they saw it.

Edited by AJF

I hate that VAR has now made me second guess whether a goal we have just scored is going to stand.

You lose yourself in that moment, like you always have, then you start staring at the referee, waiting for his finger going up to his ear.

It’s fucking horrible.

That said, it IS swings and roundabouts.

We’ve had a couple decisions go against us recently that were inconclusive (the Dundee goal and this double touch) which is frustrating but end of the day the officials can’t just guess, if the cameras they have available don’t clearly show evidence that contradicts the decision the on field referee has made them they can’t intervene.

That’s just something we need to live with and whether there are alternative views from “fan cams” that seem to prove the point we want to make is fairly irrelevant.

We wouldn’t have got the penalty at Easter Road without VAR being there so it’s not all been bad news for us.

Concentrate instead on the fact that we comprehensively played Aberdeen off the park on Sunday instead, the team that finished 3rd last season and a team with a playing budget 3 or 4 times the one we have.

Every chance we will play worse than that at times this season and yet win the game.

5 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Just because they havent seen it happen before doesnt mean it never happens ...

Of course, the clip previously posted proves that, but that doesn't mean what they said is wrong. I don't think I can recall a keeper claiming for encroachment or a double-hit off the top of my head either (out with the clip already posted).

They were clearly using their own experience to demonstrate how rare an occurrence they believe it is.

13 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

Someone literally sent you a video of a very recent one ...

They did. I hadn't seen that video, or any other instance where a keeper claimed for a double touch.

You implied that goal keepers regularly claim for infringements that might overturn a scored penalty, and so this happening should be ignored.

I was just pointing out that what you said was nonsense.

11 hours ago, AJF said:

Of course, the clip previously posted proves that, but that doesn't mean what they said is wrong. I don't think I can recall a keeper claiming for encroachment or a double-hit off the top of my head either (out with the clip already posted).

They were clearly using their own experience to demonstrate how rare an occurrence they believe it is.

They insinuated because they cant recall it happening that it never happens. A recent example was provided.

Fairly simple to follow. Think you are after an argument for no reason here

9 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

They did. I hadn't seen that video, or any other instance where a keeper claimed for a double touch.

You implied that goal keepers regularly claim for infringements that might overturn a scored penalty, and so this happening should be ignored.

I was just pointing out that what you said was nonsense.

You werent 

You implied that as you couldn't recall any instances of something happening , that means it doesnt happen

I also pointed out that at pretty much any goal conceded (even momentarily) a member of the team whose conceded a goal will claim offside/a foul etc

You seem to be naive enough to believe a St Mirren player suggesting a goal conceded shouldnt count for whatever reason means they are making some honest moral point

Nonsense and stupidity are the things you have exhibited here

All coming from the fact you cant cope that St Mirren at the teams peak cant beat Aberdeen on our worst day.

Live with it

Edited by afc_blockhead

19 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

You werent 

You implied that as you couldn't recall any instances of something happening , that means it doesnt happen

I also pointed out that at pretty much any goal conceded (even momentarily) a member of the team whose conceded a goal will claim offside/a foul etc

You seem to be naive enough to believe a St Mirren player suggesting a goal conceded shouldnt count for whatever reason means they are making some honest moral point

Nonsense and stupidity are the things you have exhibited here

All coming from the fact you cant cope that St Mirren at the teams peak cant beat Aberdeen on our worst day.

Live with it

U ok h-u-n?

Edited by Bobby_F