Spartans or The Spartans?

I notice on many websites, "The Spartans" is given as the short form of "The Spartans Football Club".  Shouldn't it just be Spartans (the only other similar example I can think of is "The Celtic Football Club" - nobody calls them "The Celtic").

Well they refer to themselves with "The" in their badge and on their website, same goes for the SPFL and previous the LL, and Companies House, so...

(Celtic technically are Celtic PLC and The Celtic Football and Athletic Company)

Their badge always said "The" - ditto new stadium signage/etc. - but it was only a few years ago they started to noticeably and consistently deploy the "The" in all written and press material.

I've a programme of theirs from April 2017 before me and its basically "Spartans" and "Spartans FC" throughout, not "the Spartans" or "The Spartans".

EDIT: looking at old versions of LL website "Spartans" becomes "The Spartans" for 2017-18.

They were only ever "Spartans" in EOSL and were so in cup draws right upto last year, and placed 'S' alphabetically.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Hateful club that were enthusiastic backers of arsecheek B teams and made at least one undocumented attempt to franchise financially distressed SPFL teams to their own advantage.

The sooner they're flushed away into the nether regions of non league where they belong, the better. Horrible, horrible club.

1 minute ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Hateful club that were enthusiastic backers of arsecheek B teams and made at least one undocumented attempt to franchise financially distressed SPFL teams to their own advantage.

The sooner they're flushed away into the nether regions of non league where they belong, the better. Horrible, horrible club.

Totally agree, full of themselves. An incredibly arrogant club and their twitter person is a total fud.

They are still Spartans in some of the news headlines on their website (but The Spartans in the text contained within).  The women's team seems to just be called Spartans Women (not The Spartans Women).

I think regardless, most people will just write their name and say it as Spartans.  I always thought "The (club)" looked odd in a league table (The New Saints in Wales for example).

53 minutes ago, ekok said:

Hello, think they might be well chuffed at this thread. Making a solid start in L2 , whether The or not

I think its a surprise now if a team going up to L2 doesn't start well.

On 27/08/2023 at 18:50, Ivo den Bieman said:

Shut up!

We're due a fairytale about plucky outsiders overcoming the odds.

You just have no romance in your bitter soul.