Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager 2023 Edition

Who will be Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager?  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It'd be interesting to know what was going on in his life in that spell at Aberdeen. He certainly bucked the footballing trend by seeming to knock back both Sunderland and Rangers. Must have had his reasons.

However, observers considering following his example will note that he's ended up in a relatively shite job. It seems he made two bad career calls in hindsight. Other managers will have noted that.

He turned down Sunderland after meeting with Martin Bain and Walter Smith,  and my belief is he was given the heads up from Smith at Pedro was going to get dunted at Rangers, sit tight and that job is yours, 

The move to rangers was supposed to be a straight forward, McInnes resigns and moves, 

The two issues were that McInnes refused to resign forcing rangers to pay compensation , and the rangers board were shocked when they heard the salary that McInnes had got out of Milne.

Also rumours that Rangers weren't wanting Docherty as the assistant due to his green and white leanings 

Edited by Willie adie

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It'd be interesting to know what was going on in his life in that spell at Aberdeen. He certainly bucked the footballing trend by seeming to knock back both Sunderland and Rangers. Must have had his reasons.

However, observers considering following his example will note that he's ended up in a relatively shite job. It seems he made two bad career calls in hindsight. Other managers will have noted that.

I don't think it's as mysterious as you think. Most managers are not at lesser clubs in 6 years time, they are out of the game.  Both Rangers and Sunderland were high-risk basket cases at the time McInnes was offered those jobs.  Both looked very much like "work miracles or get sacked early and put a massive dent in your CV" offers.   With Milne in charge at Aberdeen he would have felt he had as much job security as any football manager.  He couldn't have anticipated the arrival of Cormack with his naive conviction that you could play gung-ho football and be successful on our budget and that only McInnes's negativity was standing in the way.  Since then we've had two managers who didn't last until the end of what should have been their first full season.  My own prediction, which I fervently hope will turn out to be wrong, is that Robson will be the third in a row.

No doubt McInnes hoped a 3rd offer would come in from a club that was bigger than Aberdeen but not in as deep doo-doo as Rangers or Sunderland at the time of their offers.  He could have got lucrative contracts with Rangers or Sunderland and laughed all the way to the bank if he was sacked, but he put the longevity of his careeer ahead of money. When he looks back over the past few seasons I think he'll curse the advent of Cormack, and he'll curse the fact that the success rate of his signings, always a bit of a lottery, dropped in his last couple of seasons.  I doubt that he thinks he made bad decisions about Rangers or Sunderland on the basis of what he knew at the time.

20 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

There were red flags about both jobs, but it remains unusual for someone to knock back not just one, but two opportunities to move to higher profile jobs. As for his salary, you don't know that, and neither do I. I've heard about a dozen 'ITK' reasons why McInnes didn't go to Rangers.

It's not bait at all. A fact you don't like is not 'bait'. He did get bigger gigs. He got two of them, knocked them back, and his career went backwards.

I think if McInnes had had a crystal ball to tell him that he'd be managing Kilmarnock in six years time when he was offered the Sunderland job, it may have had an impact on his thinking. Sunderland and Rangers are very big clubs. Kilmarnock are a small club. We can never know how it would have gone for him, but with hindsight his career has not progressed since letting those two jobs pass him by.

As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure other coaches will have noted his trajectory.

Which bigger gigs was he offered after his time at Aberdeen?

30 minutes ago, Paxo said:

Which bigger gigs was he offered after his time at Aberdeen?

Not sure if you're having trouble following the simple point here, so let me make it easy for you.

1) He was offered two bigger jobs.

2) He knocked them back.

3) The offers stopped coming.

4) He ended up in the Scottish second tier.

5) Other coaches will probably consider this experience when weighing up their own options.

Why are Killie fans so touchy at the thought that a guy coaching Aberdeen and being offered Rangers and Sunderland might not have imagined he'd be at Killie six years later? It's an obvious career downgrade. Where's the controversy here?

Anyway, the point is, this is the kind of thing that Robinson will consider, should the tramps offer him a job. If he knocks them back and St Mirren's form slumps a bit, his next offer might be Partick Thistle or an English League Two team.

Edited by VincentGuerin

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Not sure if you're having trouble following the simple point here, so let me make it easy for you.

1) He was offered two bigger jobs.

2) He knocked them back.

3) The offers stopped coming.

4) He ended up in the Scottish second tier.

5) Other coaches will probably consider this experience when weighing up their own options.

Why are Killie fans so touchy at the thought that a guy coaching Aberdeen and being offered Rangers and Sunderland might not have imagined he'd be at Killie six years later? It's an obvious career downgrade. Where's the controversy here?

Anyway, the point is, this is the kind of thing that Robinson will consider, should the tramps offer him a job. If he knocks them back and St Mirren's form slumps a bit, his next offer might be Partick Thistle or an English League Two team.

What are you on about?

I said I was surprised that he wasn't offered a bigger gig after his time at Aberdeen and you responded to say he was. I was simply asking which he was offered.

No need for you to get upset about it.

Guest DannyBlue

I see Brown's sacking as a sign he's not in the running for the job. I think if there was any indication Hibs were interested, then Fleetwood probably would have been inclined to keep him and get some compensation or at least wait a few days to see how it plays out, they even could have put him on gardening leave or something if they wanted him not coaching while it all played out. Of course, his availability does change the equation so we will see.

3 hours ago, DannyBlue said:

I see Brown's sacking as a sign he's not in the running for the job. I think if there was any indication Hibs were interested, then Fleetwood probably would have been inclined to keep him and get some compensation or at least wait a few days to see how it plays out, they even could have put him on gardening leave or something if they wanted him not coaching while it all played out. Of course, his availability does change the equation so we will see.

Fleetwood are a basket case, the owner in jail, do you think anybody at that club is thinking clearly?