Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager 2023 Edition

Who will be Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager?  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I was a Hibee it would be Robinson for me - guy knows Scottish football and has managed to get 2 Scottish Prem clubs playing above their stations.

As it is I'm a Dundee fan but it's still Robinson for me, mostly because the seething mess that the Midden fans would become would be HIGHLY amusing.

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

If I was a Hibee it would be Robinson for me - guy knows Scottish football and has managed to get 2 Scottish Prem clubs playing above their stations.

As it is I'm a Dundee fan but it's still Robinson for me, mostly because the seething mess that the Midden fans would become would be HIGHLY amusing.

That's cute that we're occupying your thoughts so much.

I genuinely didn't even realise Dundee were even playing yesterday until I watched the highlights last night.

36 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

As an outsider looking in, I think Lennon will get it.

Been there, generally did well & generally popular with the fans? May be wrong on that.

He’s also readily available & wont cost compensation.

Just not before the visit to Pittodrie on Sunday though. 

Lennon's very popular with a certain section but I think he's about as divisive a figure you could get off the bat.

He had 6 good months with a superb midfield, other than that it was average to bad. Rumours that he didn't turn up to training fairly regularly or he would turn up hungover is something that particularly concerns me, but just rumours. Speaking of rumours, fighting with Kamberi in hindsight looks like a positive but in reality he's mishandling an asset the club have bought for him, then falling out with the CEO too, which again in current circumstances could be painted in a good light.

The period since Hibs has seen him initially do fine at Celtic before imploding spectacularly, then a period in Cyprus that looks reasonably good I suppose.

If the club has a basic level of professionalism and idea of what they're doing they should be able to pick out a better candidate than a manager who's already proven on the whole that he doesn't work well in this environment.

Also going from one ego-maniac to another is just a crazy strategy. 

As I mentioned though many of my Hibs supporting pals have already suggested him or Roy Keane as people they'd be happy with which is ultimately why democracy doesn't work. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Neither of those, of course.

I like Bartley, I think he's a potentially good manager in the making.  He's seen QOS as a fairly low risk but promising vehicle in which to start to build his managerial CV, and of course it works equally well also for QOS who should benefit should he prove to match his apparent potential - a risk for both parties that could be a win-win in the end.  I'd like to think that he gets a full season at Palmerston to see what he can do with the first squad that he himself has built - but he faces tough competition this season in Accies and a (finally ...?) resurgent Falkirk.

I've no interest in who Hibs appoint (apart from the possibility it might be Bartley).  Looking at it objectively from a Hibs point of view, I just think it would be a helluva risk (for both Hibs and Bartley) to take on what would be a long shot on Bartley after having only a small number of tier 3 games under his belt.  I do see the attraction to Hibs fans as he was popular on the pitch for them and he's one cool guy in front of the cameras - but to throw the guy into the deep end straight away in the heat of battle in the high (potentially) end of the top tier and in the derbies ... I'd say that's a risk too far.

He's also been assistant to Martindale at Livingston, so has a degree of coaching experience at the highest level in Scotland, but agree with you, for his managerial development he'd be better off sticking with QoTS for a bit longer. No doubt an ambitious guy though, with belief in himself, i doubt he'd turn it down if approached by Hibs

Was actually hoping at some point he'd be a replacement for Martindale, if Davie had enough of the pressure of being a manager, and stepped back a bit to an DoF position, he's excellent at targeting and signing players. 

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He's also been assistant to Martindale at Livingston, so has a degree of coaching experience at the highest level in Scotland, but agree with you, for his managerial development he'd be better off sticking with QoTS for a bit longer. No doubt an ambitious guy though, with belief in himself, i doubt he'd turn it down if approached by Hibs

Was actually hoping at some point he'd be a replacement for Martindale, if Davie had enough of the pressure of being a manager, and stepped back a bit to an DoF position, he's excellent at targeting and signing players. 

Yep, the potential to eventually, some time down the line, replace Martindale at Livi is an obvious next step for Marvin.  Equally, the lure of Hibs where he is so well connected would be strong too - like you though, for his own development I think he should stick out the QOS job for at least this season.

37 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Feck right off

11 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

... Also going from one ego-maniac to another is just a crazy strategy. 

The problem is though, you don't really get top level football managers that don't have a big ego - it kinda goes with the role.  It's probably a necessary prerequisite too, as the role calls for day-to-day management of well-paid professional footballers who usually also have big egos and must be a nightmare to manage.  It's all about the size of the ego and how well that can be controlled by the club that's the key issue.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t think Lennon was very popular by the end tbh 

There's a certain section of the support that still consider Lennon leaving (a situation which in hindsight seems very clear he engineered himself) as the great betrayal. I've never really seen why, I thought the 6 months when he first brought in McLaren and Kamberi and went baws oot aside his teams were dreadful and a lot of folk confused "winding people up all the time" as being a winner. I guess for some people drawing 5-5 with Rangers and doing the aeroplane while missing out on a very achievable higher league placing was the real win? 

17 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Lennon's very popular with a certain section but I think he's about as divisive a figure you could get off the bat.

He had 6 good months with a superb midfield, other than that it was average to bad. Rumours that he didn't turn up to training fairly regularly or he would turn up hungover is something that particularly concerns me, but just rumours. Speaking of rumours, fighting with Kamberi in hindsight looks like a positive but in reality he's mishandling an asset the club have bought for him, then falling out with the CEO too, which again in current circumstances could be painted in a good light.

The period since Hibs has seen him initially do fine at Celtic before imploding spectacularly, then a period in Cyprus that looks reasonably good I suppose.

If the club has a basic level of professionalism and idea of what they're doing they should be able to pick out a better candidate than a manager who's already proven on the whole that he doesn't work well in this environment.

Also going from one ego-maniac to another is just a crazy strategy. 

As I mentioned though many of my Hibs supporting pals have already suggested him or Roy Keane as people they'd be happy with which is ultimately why democracy doesn't work. 

I'd be happy with either McInnes or Lennon.  But if NL wants the gig, I think he'll get it.  I liked him when he was manager. He took absolutely no shit from players or opposition fans which is why many HIbs fans loved him. He put a bit of nastiness into Hibs and I for one liked that.  The way he left was unfortunate but at least this time we have no worries about Sellik tapping him up  looking like his next destination.

5 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I'd be happy with either McInnes or Lennon.  But if NL wants the gig, I think he'll get it.  I liked him when he was manager. He took absolutely no shit from players or opposition fans which is why many HIbs fans loved him. He put a bit of nastiness into Hibs and I for one liked that.  The way he left was unfortunate but at least this time we have no worries about Sellik tapping him up  looking like his next destination.

I was talking to Lewis Stevenson in Majorca , just a football conversation , and he was speaking about how worked up Lennon gets in the dressing room. There was a game in Paisley in 2017 , 2-0 Buds, when Steven McGinn was outstanding for St Mirren and John was poor for Hibs. LS says when they went back in after the game NL was spitting blood , went into John McGinn's face and said to him " The best midfielder in Scottish fuckin football " ? "you're not even the best player in your own fuckin house" !!! 🤣

Lennon has complete and utter disaster written all over it imo.

I'd be reasonably happy with McInnes or Robinson. Both have proven that they know the league, can organise a team and at least punch their weight with regards to the budgets they've been given. Not very 'I'm going to rush out and buy a season ticket' types of appointments, but entirely sensible ones. Whether either would fancy it, or we'd be prepared to pay compensation for them is another discussion.

I'd also be relatively happy to give Sir David a go with perhaps some some more input/hands on from McDermott. We tend to shop for roughly the same people and at the same price point as Hearts and Aberdeen for both players and managers. Both these clubs looked internally in the last 6 months, I'm not sure if there's anyone they've missed or that has recently become available.

23 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

There's a certain section of the support that still consider Lennon leaving (a situation which in hindsight seems very clear he engineered himself) as the great betrayal. I've never really seen why, I thought the 6 months when he first brought in McLaren and Kamberi and went baws oot aside his teams were dreadful and a lot of folk confused "winding people up all the time" as being a winner. I guess for some people drawing 5-5 with Rangers and doing the aeroplane while missing out on a very achievable higher league placing was the real win? 

Are you criticising him for not finishing above Aberdeen or Rangers as a newly promoted side here?

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well that’s all fair enough but it’s not ‘lost interest in football completely because of Derek mcinnes at Aberdeen’. 

That’s melodramatic rubbish. If you can’t justify the cost vs how much you enjoy it then absolutely, but you can’t tell me there are people who absolutely loved it up to 2013 and then it fell off a cliff after that. 

I can see why McInnesball would have been a catalyst for not renewing STs, and why not renewing STs and finding something else to do on a Saturday is a catalyst for not giving as much of a f**k about fitba, even subconciously. 

One of the things about 2018-2021 McInnes was that the vibes from Pittodrie were that we couldn't really achieve more than what McInnes had in his gift to deliver, and if that's the case then I can see why people moved away. Even getting humped 9-0, Darvel etc - we knew there would be better times ahead eventually.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Are you criticising him for not finishing above Aberdeen or Rangers as a newly promoted side here?

Tbh I've misremembered and thought we finished 5th behind Killie as well that season. But we finished 3 points behind one of the teams mentioned there, and 6 behind the other. Looking at the quality of squad we had, and the number of points we gave up in poor draws that year, then yeah I think it's valid to criticise him for not finishing higher. Of course, that's not what I was doing and you know that, but couldn't resist the chance for a usual bit of pedantry. Thanks Craig!

2 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

I'm pretty sure he actually stays in Edinburgh. Might be wrong on that.

He stays in the West End.

I'd be stunned if he wasn't interested. I've often wondered if his weekly budget comments were a way of him working his ticket. His record in keeping us in the top flight is outstanding, no matter how you look at it.

Whether Hibs would want him is a matter for them.