Killie v Ross County

19 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Aye, Clancy really fucked it by giving the free kick in the first place.  It's gone round the houses to do so but balanced itself out in the end.  

Yup.  It’s terrible refereeing all round, but because it went for County for once, I think it’s hilarious.   

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The exact same thing happened to us years ago against Hearts in a Scottish Cup quarter final replay.

Nigel Hasselbaink scored to put us 1-0 ahead and the ref had already blown up for a penalty which we then missed. The game finished 2-0 to Hearts who went on to beat Hibs 5-1 in the final.

Was VAR a thing then? 

47 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Was VAR a thing then? 

I genuinely don’t get how VAR affected the Killie non-goal.  Surely if it was used to say the goal over rules the penalty, it would also have to be used to show the free kick wasn’t a free kick?

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Was VAR a thing then? 

No need to be touchy I was just making a comparison.

Watched it last night and it was an awful decision and 100% human error but at point he blows up, it surely can't go to VAR. County could have justifiably argued that they heard whistle and stopped playing, even though it wasn't true so not sure exactly what you expect VAR to do in that situation?

The correct decision in these scenarios, like in any other area of pitch is to play advantage until the immediate phase of play is over and then give a penalty. Nobody would have questioned ref if he'd given it a second or two later if County cleared the ball.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No need to be touchy I was just making a comparison.

Watched it last night and it was an awful decision and 100% human error but at point he blows up, it surely can't go to VAR. County could have justifiably argued that they heard whistle and stopped playing, even though it wasn't true so not sure exactly what you expect VAR to do in that situation?

The correct decision in these scenarios, like in any other area of pitch is to play advantage until the immediate phase of play is over and then give a penalty. Nobody would have questioned ref if he'd given it a second or two later if County cleared the ball.

Spot on. VAR is useless in this instance it's the timing of the whistle being blown. 

It would be interesting if VAR had overturned the original penalty decision. What would have happened then? (Not that it was likely to happen, the penalty had to be given to try and dig him out a hole)

Clancy had an absolute howler, there's no doubt about that. Not even that particular idiotic set of events though, just in general.

Killie looked fairly toothless going forward and County were happy to defend the balls into the box all afternoon. Bit of a worry there was no plan B.

We conceded a really soft goal, County missed a sitter and we missed a penalty, so I'm not sure we deserved anything from the game, despite the refereeing incompetence.

Hoping Dallas gives us another option running in behind because we can't break an organised low block down at the moment.

Edited by Paxo

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I genuinely don’t get how VAR affected the Killie non-goal.  Surely if it was used to say the goal over rules the penalty, it would also have to be used to show the free kick wasn’t a free kick?

It didn’t affect it but surely the whole point of VAR is to allow the game to be played before reviewing any incidents?

Because VAR is an available tool the referee shouldn’t have made the decision.

At the game I was actually not too bothered about the decision in the moment. It’s only the penalty miss which compounds the error and you can’t blame the ref for missing the penalty.

Just to add that we can have no complaints coming away with zero points. Ross County worked harder than us and deserved their goal. We didn’t turn up the tempo or attacking pressure until we went 1-0 down and that’s not good enough. This result basically cancels out the 3 points we gained from Rangers and it’s turned our great start into a very average one.

Edited by Sortmeout

24 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

It didn’t affect it but surely the whole point of VAR is to allow the game to be played before reviewing any incidents?

Because VAR is an available tool the referee shouldn’t have made the decision.

At the game I was actually not too bothered about the decision in the moment. It’s only the penalty miss which compounds the error and you can’t blame the ref for missing the penalty.

I completely agree, but if the goal had been allowed to stand, would it not have gone back to look at the initial joke of a free kick?  I genuinely don’t know the answer to that. 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I completely agree, but if the goal had been allowed to stand, would it not have gone back to look at the initial joke of a free kick?  I genuinely don’t know the answer to that. 

I don’t think it would have because the game stopped and then started again from the free kick.