Slavery - Reparations

coprolite

Compensation for slavey  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

We had some guest speaker at university (a supposed professor) who told us that slavery was the fault of every white person who ever lived and all those currently alive are equally guilty.

The notion that I am responsible for something that occurred at a time when I did not even exist is fucking ridiculous. 

^^^ dinosaur killer. 

On 01/09/2023 at 18:32, GHF-23 said:

Yeah it all gets a bit "yknow the Irish were slaves too" when people start talking about coal miners or the clearances in comparison to chattel slavery, and I say that as someone who agrees with most of the critiques of reparations here

100% agree. If you can afford to emigrate you can afford to eat in a modest restaurant. 

On 02/09/2023 at 01:35, velo army said:

Aye I don't think it's the wildest take to say that evicting people isn't the same as chattel slavery. 

It obviously was awful and traumatic not to mention an outrage, but being treated like cattle was obviously not the same.

I can see this issue just being lost in a lot of "anti-woke" Piers Morgan-esque outrage, which is a shame as it's a conversation that needs to be had. 

There's a clear continuum though.

We only abolished serfdom in Scotland in the late 18th century. Ok, you couldn't take a serf to market to sell them; they went with the land, but that could change hands.

While they were probably technically more free than an African slave in America they had no actual rights, freedom of action or possessions. 

There weren't many left by the time of the clearances, but there were some, and the transatlantic trade arose and grew in the context of a society where there was a hierarchy with unfree people at the bottom. 

On 02/09/2023 at 12:40, virginton said:

As opposed to victims of the Clearances, who were removed because they were quite literally beneath cattle in the valuation of landowners. I'm really not sure that your comparison of pain is going to be productive of anything either.

The historical reality is that both land clearances and slavery were an existing norm in most societies, that were both accelerated into a mass process through the early stages of capitalism taking hold. If you're going to apply broad brush reparations to the descendants of one outrageous act, then there's no logical grounds to disregard the other. 

To further it;

Is every Japanese person responsible for Pearl Harbour, Nanking Massacre and the rest of the Sino-Japanese War?

Is every German responsible for the Nazis?

Is every Russian responsible for the Holodomor?

No, it's a nonsense idea.

4 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

To further it;

Is every Japanese person responsible for Pearl Harbour, Nanking Massacre and the rest of the Sino-Japanese War?

Is every German responsible for the Nazis?

Is every Russian responsible for the Holodomor?

No, it's a nonsense idea.

Generally the sons are not punished for the crimes of the fathers

32 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Precisely.

Although, perhaps we could be punished for the crimes of the great-great-great-grandfathers.

But generation upon generation we've continued to benefit and the heaviness of this shame weighs heavily upon me.

It's time to give a small portion back and I'd be for a north European penny on my income tax. To make the new tax as fair as it can be, a Windrush exemption would apply.

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

We had some guest speaker at university (a supposed professor) who told us that slavery was the fault of every white person who ever lived and all those currently alive are equally guilty.

The notion that I am responsible for something that occurred at a time when I did not even exist is fucking ridiculous. 

I've heard that argument applied elsewhere, and sounds as barmy there  🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_deicide

17 hours ago, sophia said:

But generation upon generation we've continued to benefit and the heaviness of this shame weighs heavily upon me.

It's time to give a small portion back and I'd be for a north European penny on my income tax. To make the new tax as fair as it can be, a Windrush exemption would apply.

Not a fucking chance am i paying extra taxes to pay for the crimes committed by the current tory partie’s ancestors, they all have land, one off wealth tax of 50% for any wealth/land valued at over £25million in this country, send half to reparations and use the other half as a sovereign wealth fund.