Slavery - Reparations

coprolite

Compensation for slavey  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Wonder if this will be official Alba policy ?

I came across a Dutch footballer called Dumfries. A quick check showed his forebearers were from Surinam, the former Dutch colony adjacent to British Guyana once a stronghold of Scots involvement in the slave trade. It’s not rocket science to see the link and the likely shift across empire boundaries.

Is this assumption he makes that Denzel Dumfries will be descended from a Scottish slaveowner since Suriname was beside Guyana not total rubbish? Wikipedia says his father is from Aruba - still part of the Netherlands, and there was a piece in FF2 about Dumfries and Roy Makaay that said such names likely descend from Scots who joined the Dutch Brigade after the Reformation.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I came across a Dutch footballer called Dumfries. A quick check showed his forebearers were from Surinam, the former Dutch colony adjacent to British Guyana once a stronghold of Scots involvement in the slave trade. It’s not rocket science to see the link and the likely shift across empire boundaries.

Is this assumption he makes that Denzel Dumfries will be descended from a Scottish slaveowner since Suriname was beside Guyana not total rubbish? Wikipedia says his father is from Aruba - still part of the Netherlands, and there was a piece in FF2 about Dumfries and Roy Makaay that said such names likely descend from Scots who joined the Dutch Brigade after the Reformation.

I think Suriname was under British rule for a period, but he's obviously just trying to connect something relatable today with Scotland's involvement in the slave trade. He is just guessing of course and it probably would have been easier just to leave it at the Jamaican surnames reference.

It's clear though, that any reparations due to International footballer Denzil Dumfries should come from the pockets of Queen of the South supporters.

"The industrialization of Scotland stands in contrast to Ireland"

Isn't that due to scotland having large coal deposits next to the coast & navigable rivers in the central belt?

I know west cumbria industrialised simply because iron ore and coal sat on top of each other in the soil

Anyways, where's my compo for James VI of Scotland's expulsion of my ancestors to the low countries? I reckon I'm owed a quid each off the lot of you.

On 22/09/2023 at 23:11, orfc said:

"The industrialization of Scotland stands in contrast to Ireland"

Isn't that due to scotland having large coal deposits next to the coast & navigable rivers in the central belt?

... and iron ore, and the oil shale, plus the lime mines, and the canal routes all concentrated within the Central Belt.  But apart from that...