Misophonia

accies1874

When certain sounds drive you mad - does anyone else suffer from this?

I think chewing/eating/talking with your mouth full is the most famous trigger and is defos what I find most challenging - so much so that I've stopped having lunch at work as my colleagues are pretty terrible eaters.

Do you get triggered by folk talking and eating? Do you talk with your mouth full? Are there any other noises that trigger you? 

18 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think chewing/eating/talking with your mouth full is the most famous trigger and is defos what I find most challenging - so much so that I've stopped having lunch at work as my colleagues are pretty terrible eaters.

Do you get triggered by folk talking and eating? Do you talk with your mouth full? Are there any other noises that trigger you? 

My wife complains about the sound of people eating, including at the dinner table. It’s really annoying. It’s not like anyone’s slurping soup or chomping loudly with their mouths open. Some food, eg nachos, celery, apples just makes a noise because of how physics works.

Talking with your mouth full is a choking hazard, as well as grotty, so fully get that.

In general, people in restaurants who talk far too loudly so you have no choice but to overhear them. These are often American women, who then laugh like drains at their own unfunny jokes. 

In particular, one woman last night who was clearly audible from the other side of a large room, and who sounded like the b*****d spawn of Gilbert Gottfried and Betty Boop with some sort of throat cancer. At one point she started singing the theme to Rawhide, and my wife had to physically hold me back. 😡

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

There are quite a few sounds that annoy the shit out of me including eating with mouth full & runny nose sniffers who have no tissue on hand,  but the extended rustling of poly bags is the one that makes me want to commit murder.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

My wife complains about the sound of people eating, including at the dinner table. It’s really annoying. It’s not like anyone’s slurping soup or chomping loudly with their mouths open. Some food, eg nachos, celery, apples just makes a noise because of how physics works.

While I agree with her, I also realise it's unreasonable/irrational so think it would be unfair to complain about it. 

7 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

There are quite a few sounds that annoy the shit out of me including eating with mouth full & runny nose sniffers who have no tissue on hand,  but the extended rustling of poly bags is the one that makes me want to commit murder.

Yeah nose sniffing is another one. Once you pick up on it, it seems to never end. 

Opening a freezer drawer gives me a weird sensation. Like I want to be sick. Doesn't annoy me, just makes me feel horrible. 

Used to work nightshift on my last job and it was lone working so other than the tele it was a pretty lonely 10 hours and I got into the peace. One of the lassies that came onto the early shift would make a cuppa at handover and stir it for literally 3-5 minutes. Absolutely fucking infuriating sound when you've basically been isolated from noise for 10 hours.