Batshit Mental Away Supporter Rules

Whether this happens or not, you have to question the motivation for this even being proposed. 

Theres not a chance that someone is sat in Westminster or whatever public service sitting and thinking this is a serious issue requiring government and police resource. 

It feels more like the uk government running their finger down a list of devolved matters, identifying differences and seeing where they can squeeze, just to assert some sort of control. 

I very much doubt we’ll see this happen but what is driving it is interesting. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Whether this happens or not, you have to question the motivation for this even being proposed. 

Theres not a chance that someone is sat in Westminster or whatever public service sitting and thinking this is a serious issue requiring government and police resource. 

It feels more like the uk government running their finger down a list of devolved matters, identifying differences and seeing where they can squeeze, just to assert some sort of control. 

Union unit at work.

9 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

This may be apocryphal, but I remember reading or hearing Margaret Thatcher proposing football fans get a tattoo of a barcode, which is scanned when they enter the stadium. I'd like to think that was a joke or satire taken literally, but we're getting there.

Nah, the barcode thing is bullshit. What she wanted was to introduce identity cards - no admission to a football ground without one. Never got anywhere, of course, can't remember why. But like this idea it's as if they sat down and worked out how to make life as difficult for football supporters as possible.

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Was thinking exactly this - what possible motivation or trigger is there for some random pen pusher in England to get involved in this bizarre situation unless someone raised it with them.

Freedom of Information request to the UK Bus Czar: "what communications have you had with the Scottish Office or Scottish Secretary in the last 12 months"

A bit ironic that if these rules came in, by far one of the largest groups of people effected would be the staunchest defenders of our precious union who leave their towns and villages every weekend to follow the Gers round the country.

I didnt listen to the phone in, but did anyone point out that the laws in Scotland on bevvy / fitba matches are already more draconian than in England?

You can get a pint in the stadium there, you can (iirc) take booze on the train.

Up here its illegal to take booze on the bus or train (I appreciate its not always enforced) and we dont sell pints with the pies.

Bizarre that anyone thinks we need more regulation for buses................

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's only barred on Scotrail trains. On LNER and Cross Country they not even allow it here, they sell it on their trains too.

Scotland fans going on the train to Glasgow for the England game next week will ignore the ban. 

I didn't have a massive issue with the train/alcohol thing as long as it was used correctly. A few folk having a drink quietly and causing nobody any bother - ignore the rule. Arseholes making the journey uncomfortable for other people - enforce the rule. I don't travel on trains enough to know exactly how it being enforced though?

14 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I didn't have a massive issue with the train/alcohol thing as long as it was used correctly. A few folk having a drink quietly and causing nobody any bother - ignore the rule. Arseholes making the journey uncomfortable for other people - enforce the rule. I don't travel on trains enough to know exactly how it being enforced though?

I’m sure it depends on the conductor but I’ve never been pulled up for it in the handful of times I’ve done it. 

One time on an Edinburgh to Aberdeen train I thought I was keeping to myself and the conductor approached me, leaned in and went ‘caught ye!!!’ And walked away chuckling to himself. 

Aye the vast majority of the time it isn't enforced. You'd need to be unlucky to get one of the very fee conductors who cares. They probably, rightly, think that it's far more hassle than it's worth trying to get folk to stop having some beers or whatever.

27 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The problem, like all these things isn't actually people getting drunk on the train, it's people being drunk on the train. Majority of the train journeys people would be on for the football, or before a night out, etc where they are likely to be drinking on the train, the journeys aren't usually long enough for them to get wrecked and start causing trouble. The people causing the trouble are 95% of the time already shit faced before they get on the train and enforcing the rule isn't going to help at that point.

15 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

On the Train Vs Supporters bus debate. I've never had any problem with either but it has to be remembered that for many games the train is not an option because of daft kick off times. 

Trains are more comfortable for sure, but at least a bus will take you door to door and won't get cancelled at the last minute due to strikes or whatever scotrail's latest excuse is. I'd say I marginally prefer the train but both have advantages.

32 minutes ago, GAD said:

The problem, like all these things isn't actually people getting drunk on the train, it's people being drunk on the train. Majority of the train journeys people would be on for the football, or before a night out, etc where they are likely to be drinking on the train, the journeys aren't usually long enough for them to get wrecked and start causing trouble. The people causing the trouble are 95% of the time already shit faced before they get on the train and enforcing the rule isn't going to help at that point.

For me the main issue on trains is underagers spitting on trains, and then deliberately chucking stuff at people, spitting on people, screaming nonsense and trying to start fights with passengers.

Be better off clamping down on that, like you said it’s folk usually on their way home from a night out or afternoon sesh that cause the bother alcohol wise.

Not folk pre-drinking ok the train for football / hen night / stag do / going clubbing.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Pretty much everyone ignores the ban, football fans or otherwise.

Yep, every time im down to a The Caley game on the train I have my #cans in full view of the conductor who doesn't say a thing.

4 hours ago, Crawford said:

Union unit at work.

They've got a big budget so plenty of resources to investigate every possible way they can feck up Scotland, and our football is part of that.

Jeeze, one of them has even infiltrated the top level of the game impersonating an assistant referee.

52 minutes ago, GAD said:

Got a friend who's a conductor, who regularly works on the Glasgow-Ayr; Glasgow-Greenock lines.

Late Friday/Saturday trains back down to the coast are called 'Vomit Comets' and he said he doesn't even check tickets let alone stop people from drinking as it's not safe due to their being a not insignificant number of drunken nutters on them.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, every time im down to a The Caley game on the train I have my #cans in full view of the conductor who doesn't say a thing.

The ban is such a joke that the two main hub stations in Glasgow and Edinburgh there are shops that sell a large range of individual cans of beer and pre mixed spirits prefect for taking on the train.

I drink on Scotrail trains going to the fitba all the time and have never had an issue. You just don't take the piss. When you see the guy coming just make your cans a wee bit less visible etc. "Don't give the referee a decision to make" etc and the Don't Ask Don't Tell works fine.

It's a fucking idiotic rule, but it's really not enforced.

4 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

For example, in most games in Scotland the final whistle goes and both sets of fans disperse from the ground with no segregation on the streets whatsoever. I imagine that is just not the case down South in pretty much every league. 

Chelsea and Arsenal both let the fans out together when I was there and, dreadful English footy bants aside, there weren't any issues. They were quite lowkey fixtures though. Both times I've gone to Wembley for Scotland games, there hasn't been any segregation before or after the game either.