Batshit Mental Away Supporter Rules

42 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I drink on Scotrail trains going to the fitba all the time and have never had an issue. You just don't take the piss. When you see the guy coming just make your cans a wee bit less visible etc. "Don't give the referee a decision to make" etc and the Don't Ask Don't Tell works fine.

It's a fucking idiotic rule, but it's really not enforced.

No need for this at all.

There better not be a conductor equivalent of Colin Steven ffs

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Whether this happens or not, you have to question the motivation for this even being proposed. 

Theres not a chance that someone is sat in Westminster or whatever public service sitting and thinking this is a serious issue requiring government and police resource. 

It feels more like the uk government running their finger down a list of devolved matters, identifying differences and seeing where they can squeeze, just to assert some sort of control. 

I very much doubt we’ll see this happen but what is driving it is interesting. 

You're spot-on, these are the actions of a desperate, discredited UK Government in its dog days guddling about for any shite it can find, and the Lord Charles sockpuppet Alister Jack will be involved somewhere in it.

Here's a prediction - it will die a quiet death.

There's plenty of laws in place already to deal with anti social behaviour whether it be on a train or elsewhere.

I'd have to echo the people who have never had any bother when having a few cans on the train and I doubt you would unless you come across a complete jobsworth or you're acting like a complete dick which is when pre existing laws come into place to deal with your behaviour and you'd get lifted 

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I drink on Scotrail trains going to the fitba all the time and have never had an issue. You just don't take the piss. When you see the guy coming just make your cans a wee bit less visible etc. "Don't give the referee a decision to make" etc and the Don't Ask Don't Tell works fine.

It's a fucking idiotic rule, but it's really not enforced.

I find using a washed out yazoo milkshake bottles are the perfect supplement to use for drinks on a train 

45 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

There's plenty of laws in place already to deal with anti social behaviour whether it be on a train or elsewhere.

I'd have to echo the people who have never had any bother when having a few cans on the train and I doubt you would unless you come across a complete jobsworth or you're acting like a complete dick which is when pre existing laws come into place to deal with your behaviour and you'd get lifted 

That was my overriding thoughts on it. 

Someone's in a huff that the existing legislation about drinking on buses isn't being followed so this is an attempt to add more legislation in place to apply pressure to bus companies for not enforcing the existing rules. "look what will happen". 

The offensive behaviour at the football act or whatever it was named while a different situation this is another example of adding more legislation for legislation sake to try and make up for the fake existing legislation and laws weren't being followed. 

It's all wholly unnecessary and isn't fixing a problem. 

It would potentially lead to the end of supports buses for provincial clubs unless it's a "big game". It's already getting harder and harder to run buses due to the cost especially for the games where the bus may run with plenty spaces on it. If you start adding ridiculous hoops to jump through the price is increased due to the administration hassle for the bus company.

It becomes more hassle than it's worth as well for the person who usually books and organises them. Supporters also don't want to sit outside the stadium on a bus an hour before kick off in February. A nonsense. 

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Chelsea and Arsenal both let the fans out together when I was there and, dreadful English footy bants aside, there weren't any issues. 

All their fans are in their 40s and work in the finance industry 

7 hours ago, GAD said:

The problem, like all these things isn't actually people getting drunk on the train, it's people being drunk on the train. Majority of the train journeys people would be on for the football, or before a night out, etc where they are likely to be drinking on the train, the journeys aren't usually long enough for them to get wrecked and start causing trouble. The people causing the trouble are 95% of the time already shit faced before they get on the train and enforcing the rule isn't going to help at that point.

One of the potential stumbling blocks to the ban being lifted is that Mick Hogg of the RMT is all for the ban remaining in place to protect his members working on the 'front line'.

A very noble stance to take, but, sadly for him he's barking up the completely wrong tree about what is causing bother on trains, as you have pointed out.

As a point of principle I don't like the idea of 'guidelines' like this.  It looks like a Quango can issue guidelines which don't need to be approved in Parliament, but have a similar effect to laws approved by Parliament.  In effect bus operators who don't follow the guidelines can be severely penalised, so they are likely to treat them as laws.

There could be consequences here not just for travelling fans, but also for venues like bowling clubs/pubs who make a decent income from visitors.  

Let's take the example of Queens fans travelling to a game up North. 

They need permission to stop within 10 miles of the ground.   That seems fair enough.  It wouldn't be safe for Queens fans to pop into Tuttie's Neuk en route to Montrose given the obvious potential for a violent confrontation with the Portland Bill Seaside Squad.

If they have to go elsewhere, they need to know if the venue will serve a 'substantial meal', as you apparently need to buy one of these before you can consume alcohol.  No pie, no pint.

Buses need to arrive at the ground no later than an hour before the game.  Fortunately every team in the SPFL has fantastic pre match entertainment..... 

Of course many clubs like Queens and Elgin have a nice wee bar when you can drink until 2.50 and still make kick off.  So forcing buses to arrive by 2.00 could make fans drink more.

I have seen Celtic buses dropping off outside Platform 5 at Haymarket a few times.  Fans head off with huge quantities of empty bottles and crates and lots of remaining bevvy.  I'm sure fans of the other arse cheek have the same immunity from current laws.

Seems like an update on Thatcher's 80s tactic of demonizing men gathering together while football was taking place.

Even after successfully stealing the game from working class males with the help of lying policemen/newspapers/government officials they're not quite done with us.  

Are they hoping to squeeze every last ounce of authenticity that remains and create an NFL type stadium "experience" with no real travelling "support" and just a smattering of non-segregated, passionless, performative consumers?

18 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

As a point of principle I don't like the idea of 'guidelines' like this.  It looks like a Quango can issue guidelines which don't need to be approved in Parliament, but have a similar effect to laws approved by Parliament.  In effect bus operators who don't follow the guidelines can be severely penalised, so they are likely to treat them as laws.

There could be consequences here not just for travelling fans, but also for venues like bowling clubs/pubs who make a decent income from visitors.  

Let's take the example of Queens fans travelling to a game up North. 

They need permission to stop within 10 miles of the ground.   That seems fair enough.  It wouldn't be safe for Queens fans to pop into Tuttie's Neuk en route to Montrose given the obvious potential for a violent confrontation with the Portland Bill Seaside Squad.

If they have to go elsewhere, they need to know if the venue will serve a 'substantial meal', as you apparently need to buy one of these before you can consume alcohol.  No pie, no pint.

Buses need to arrive at the ground no later than an hour before the game.  Fortunately every team in the SPFL has fantastic pre match entertainment..... 

Of course many clubs like Queens and Elgin have a nice wee bar when you can drink until 2.50 and still make kick off.  So forcing buses to arrive by 2.00 could make fans drink more.

I have seen Celtic buses dropping off outside Platform 5 at Haymarket a few times.  Fans head off with huge quantities of empty bottles and crates and lots of remaining bevvy.  I'm sure fans of the other arse cheek have the same immunity from current laws.

To be fair from what I know the Celtic and Rangers buses are targeted just as much as anyone else.

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

To be fair from what I know the Celtic and Rangers buses are targeted just as much as anyone else.

Particularly going up North, often get pulled over and checked at Broxden roundabout at Perth, been known to get similar treatment coming into Aberdeen and Inverness. 

One such police officer asked en route to Pittodrie if I normally got through a 2 litre bottle of Coke on the way to a game (it was mixed with Havana Club) and I looked rather embarrassed and tried to come up with a quick response, surprisingly said PC informed he wasn't daft, they have to do a certain number of checks to keep their bosses and the politicians happy, said he was aware most of us will be having a wee refreshment on the bus but, so long as we were relatively discreet with it, meaning no cans and bottles rolling about the bus and the majority of it in plastic bottles and, most importantly we weren't jumping about like arseholes being obnoxious and verbally abusive to them, they were happy to let us head off with a minimum of fuss.

I think some, but not all coppers in this situation aren't daft and will he okay with you if you dont rip the piss.

Edited by Flybhoy