Cyprus V Scotland 8.9.23

velo army

Some folk mentioned this earlier, but I like how there is no talk of excuses before games under Clarke.

I recall before the Kazakhstan game that McLeish was banging on about the travel, the temperature, the time difference and the pitch. Every interview he would roll them all out. I reckon the players lost that game before they even went on the pitch, as all they heard was excuses; it was drilled in to them.

We don't hear such stuff from Clarke. 

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, SReplay said:

The urgency from Adams to take the quick throw for the opener was class. Not bad for a guy who apparently couldn’t be arsed.

Two “secondary” assists for him if you look at it in ice hockey terms.  Impactful game.  

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

If we draw against either Spain or Georgia, Norway could beat us by two goals or more and qualify on head to head. 

In all my years of watching Scotland, that is still precisely what I expect to happen. 

Woke up today and remembered that we have 15 points out of 15 and are 2 points away from guaranteeing that we go to Germany. 

This positive Scotland scenario is going to take a while to get used to. 

Che Adams might be our most underrated player at the moment. For a forward he's incredibly unselfish and a tireless worker. Involved indirectly but crucially in all three goals (I think he won the foul for the second) and does so much work off the ball.

A lad who only qualified through his granny and who was hardly battering the door down to play for us but gives 100% and is always available. I bloody love him.

2 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

The most comfortable away game in some time, time to get skyscanner on 

As someone said above it was a proper 'big/pot A team going to a shite team and finishing it inside half an hour.' job. I've never seen Scotland do that before. Spain did it too earlier in the day. 

Slightly amusing bit in McGinn's post-match where the interviewer mentions that Mctominay is now "the joint top goalscorer" (meaning across euro qualification) and Mcginn looks a bit surprised and says "Oh well, I hope he takes me over!" as if he thinks she's talking about total goals for Scotland (where JM still has a comfortable 10-goal lead at the moment).

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

As someone said above it was a proper 'big/pot A team going to a shite team and finishing it inside half an hour.' job. I've never seen Scotland do that before. Spain did it too earlier in the day. 

I do hope the second half doesn't come back to bite us, could've racked up a few more for the goal difference v spain, but that's me being miserable. 

Also, skyscanner appears to be down, wonder why? 🤔 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

November 1999 I believe, the second leg of the Euro 2000 playoff at Wembley, Don Hutchinson with the goal.

Of course, how could I forget, Seaman saving Davie Weirs diving header to make it proper glorious failure

35 minutes ago, velo army said:

Che Adams might be our most underrated player at the moment. For a forward he's incredibly unselfish and a tireless worker. Involved indirectly but crucially in all three goals (I think he won the foul for the second) and does so much work off the ball.

A lad who only qualified through his granny and who was hardly battering the door down to play for us but gives 100% and is always available. I bloody love him.

Don't want to detract from your main point as I absolutely love Adams, but it was Gilmour fouled for the second and the third is actually Hickey that is involved (no idea what he's doing there but that's this Scotland team for you). 

20 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I do hope the second half doesn't come back to bite us, could've racked up a few more for the goal difference v spain, but that's me being miserable. 

Also, skyscanner appears to be down, wonder why? 🤔 

Goal difference isnt hugely relevant. 

Tiebrakers if teams are equal on points are...

- Head to head record between the teams

- Goal difference in games between the teams

- Most goals scored in games between the teams

Then overall goal difference.