Cyprus V Scotland 8.9.23

velo army

The game's tomorrow but still no match thread. I don't imagine this reflects the the excitement surrounding the game as I for one have been looking forward to this game since June.

I'm head over heels in love with this team and I honestly think we're going to win the rest of our qualifying games. I don't feel any sort of trepidation surrounding this game and I do believe we'll win comfortably.

3-0 Scotland.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, velo army said:

The game's tomorrow but still no match thread. I don't imagine this reflects the the excitement surrounding the game as I for one have been looking forward to this game since June.

I'm head over heels in love with this team and I honestly think we're going to win the rest of our qualifying games. I don't feel any sort of trepidation surrounding this game and I do believe we'll win comfortably.

3-0 Scotland.

My man! 

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Nah it was really just a thread about the game being moved and people kept using it in the absence of a match thread. Probably better to start afresh and not have people go through a couple of pages of ticket chat.

Yeah, a fresh match thread is required, especially for folk that haven’t been delving into the venue change thread, don’t delete.

I’d imagine it’ll be very busy tomorrow. 

The thoughts from the Cyprus camp.

Seems like Cyprus are planning to play the game in quite a similar way to how they played in their home defeat to Georgia. They played very well in that game. The video I linked below is edited to remove the Cypriot translation and questions but you can find the full video on the Cypriot YouTube channel. The audio isn't the easiest to transcribe, but I believe it is more or less accurate.

We have a difficult match ahead tomorrow. We play against Scotland, the team that is 1st in the group and I think they deserve to be 1st so far. We try to prepare as good as possible as we could, we don't have any problems - all the players are available for tomorrow's match. We expect to make a good game tomorrow in a full stadium. I hope we will play well and we will manage to win, Cyprus didn't succeed to get any points so far to the group but we hope that we start tomorrow to get some points. 

Impressive is that they (Scotland) have the 12 points in four games. So, it's clear that it's a very good team in a very difficult group so we know that we're playing against a very good team so we try to prepare as best as possible and expect to get some points tomorrow. I believe they (Scotland) have already qualified, if you see the quality of players that they have in the team, why not? They have players who play in the Premier League - most of the players. He's a very good coach (Clarke), been many years now in the team so doing a great job and I'm not surprised that they're top of the league.

It's not the same as it was two or three weeks ago, it's getting better every day that's passing. I hope that it's going to be more difficult for them so we're used to playing in this kind of weather so for us it's not difficult. I don't know if Scotland will win the group, but I'm sure they will be either 1st or 2nd. We saw the matches of Scotland and they were better than all of their opponents and I'm sure that they will be either 1st or 2nd.  

We are playing defensive in the previous matches because of the opponent, the quality of our opponent. We saw Scotland after their first match with Cyprus they manage to win all of their matches, they have four wins. Of course we wish to play better in our home, we will try to play as good as we did against Georgia - we deserved some points in this match, but we didn't manage. I hope we will manage to get some points. 

Temuri Ketsbaia

The match tomorrow will of course be very difficult, I agree with everything my coach said before. We are playing with a team that is 1st in the group. The match tomorrow will be very different compared to the previous match in Glasgow. We know our opponent, we have played a lot of times against Scotland. We know what to expect tomorrow, I believe that details will decide the result tomorrow, I hope that we will manage to get the points.

It is always good to play in a full stadium, but we know that always Scotland when they visit Cyprus they have thousands of fans supporting them so with thousands of Scottish people in the stadium maybe it will not be so friendly a stadium for us. We have two difficult games ahead against Scotland and Spain. These matches are a challenge for our team and our players, it's a very big challenge to play those quality teams.

For me personally it will be the first time that I will play a game against Spain, but of course we have to focus first of all on tomorrow's match and see how can we manage to get some points and then we will have the time to think about Spain. We are playing at home, we have nothing to lose, we play more offensive and I think we will try to get some points from tomorrows match.    

Pieros Sotiriou

https://streamable.com/k40jn4

14 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The thoughts from the Cyprus camp.

Seems like Cyprus are planning to play the game in quite a similar way to how they played in their home defeat to Georgia. They played very well in that game. The video I linked below is edited to remove the Cypriot translation and questions but you can find the full video on the Cypriot YouTube channel. The audio isn't the easiest to transcribe, but I believe it is more or less accurate.

https://streamable.com/k40jn4

I watched that Georgia game, though it is hard to completely remember as it is so long ago!

From what I remember Cyprus were very good, particularly on the break and could quite easily have won. At least if they show more attacking intent than against us at home there should hopefully be some more gaps to exploit at times. 

4 hours ago, velo army said:

3-0 Scotland.

3 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

My man! 

Merry Christmas GIF by C8

I’d play with this three up front. Off topic, I know, but I would.

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

I think this might be a Gough 96 minute job as Cyprus aren't a bad outfit. Got to trust Clarke and the lads though. A win here and it's gravy, going to be watching it in Tangiers so any good link would be appreciated. C'mon Scotland. 

Yeah they’re a stuffy Pot 5 side. I doubt they’ll finish the group without points from somewhere.

This is a good marker of where we are as a side. I’m really hoping for a disciplined and robust 2-0 win. We’re probably - finally - in a position where we can start to dictate these types of games, instead of just setting up to respond to the opponent.

Any win will do, but a confident performance with a relaxed last 30/35 minutes to make changes would be superb.

Hoping to watch this in Tirana/Albania.  Arrived last night and staying in Blloku if anybody has any tips as to who might have it on. 

Passed a few bars with big screens but not sure of this game will be high on the list for people wanting to watch list.   Might try popping and asking for it, no harm in trying. 

Prediction:  A stuffy 0-2.  First goal in about 20 mins from a corner.  Second in 85th again from a corner.

Hopefully  I am wrong and it is 0-6 with 3 goals in first 10 mins!

1 hour ago, Sugar_Army said:

Hoping to watch this in Tirana/Albania.  Arrived last night and staying in Blloku if anybody has any tips as to who might have it on. 

Passed a few bars with big screens but not sure of this game will be high on the list for people wanting to watch list.   Might try popping and asking for it, no harm in trying. 

Prediction:  A stuffy 0-2.  First goal in about 20 mins from a corner.  Second in 85th again from a corner.

Hopefully  I am wrong and it is 0-6 with 3 goals in first 10 mins!

If you can’t find anywhere, best bet might be a Viaplay subscription and a VPN