St Johnstone v Rangers, 16/09/23 12.30 KO

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

I read that for offsides if the lines drawn for the attacker and the defender overlap then it is considered onside(even if the attackers line is ahead). It looked like that was the case yesterday so I’m not sure how true that is.

Never heard that before, and with how borderline some of the English ones are then i cant imagine its true.

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It was marginal, marginally offside.

Correct

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why not?

Offsides are ropey, particularly ones as close as that, because VAR cant guarantee to actually get the frame where the balls kicked.

Just a shite in joke about the debate over absolutists that say a foul is a foul or an offside is offside no marginal or soft about it...

14 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's either offside or not, nothing marginal about it.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Never heard that before, and with how borderline some of the English ones are then i cant imagine its true.

I had a wee look and found this, so it could be outdated or it only applies in the Premier League

Firstly, for marginal offside decisions, after the one-pixel lines are applied, the VAR puts on the thicker broadcast lines and where they overlap, those situations will now be deemed as onside

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423#:~:text=Firstly%2C for marginal offside decisions,now be deemed as onside.

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

I had a wee look and found this, so it could be outdated or it only applies in the Premier League

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423#:~:text=Firstly%2C for marginal offside decisions,now be deemed as onside.

Ah fair dues.

The rules seem to change constantly, to the point ive absolutely no idea whats happening with offsides via VAR or handballs anymore.

Yeah, they'd have had a big problem if the Rangers player had been onside. Players are rightly told to play to the whistle but surely that includes the assistant raising his flag?

As it was he got a difficult decision spot on but forgot he's meant to go against his instinct and keep his flag down.

I didn't think either claim was a penalty.

Even pre-VAR you'd occasionally get a decision where the assistant put his flag up and the referee waved him to put it down - usually when the defender had actually got the final touch. There have been goals scored in that situation before, including this one at the World Cup. The referee who gave the decision was praised for it and ultimately ended up refereeing the final.

I had sympathy for the assistant on Saturday, because on first viewing I thought he was absolutely miles offside, but it turned out to be much, much closer than I could have imagined. Ultimately, this is why, despite fans getting frustrated at them not stopping it for supposedly obvious decisions, the current situation with not flagging for offside has to be the way it goes if we insist on continuing with VAR.

Yeah, it seems as though the SFA have adopted the same stance as the Premier League regarding it:

Are we using offside line technology and will the virtual offside lines be shown on TV/Broadcast?

Yes. In the case of a close offside call, the assistant referee will delay his/her flag. If a goal is scored and the assistant believes there was an offside offence, he/she will only raise the offside flag after the goal has been scored. Using the virtual offside technology, the VAR will place a line on the second last defender and the attacking player who potentially committed the offside offence. If the lines do not overlap or touch and show the player was offside, the on-field decision to disallow the goal will stand. If the lines do not overlap or touch, showing the attacker was either behind or in line with the defender, and show that the player was onside, or if the two lines do overlap, the on-field decision will be overturned and the goal will stand.

Reading that, it suggests if the lines are overlapping or are touching then the goal should've been awarded. From the TV images it looked as though the lines were pretty much on top of each other, so it could be, as @Steve McQueensuggested, some benefit has been given to St Johnstone due to the linesman incorrectly raising the flag.

Edited by AJF

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

some benefit has been given to St Johnstone due to the linesman incorrectly raising the flag.

Which would be wrong from the officials. Its either onside or offside, it doesnt matter what happens after. If our players stopped its on them.

16 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Rangers have been robbed here. Hopefully doesn’t cost them come the end of the season.

Nobody is saying that. It is clearly a very tight call - I was just more interested in the bit about the lines touching/overlapping then the attacker gets the benefit and whether that was true or not.

In total whataboutary it appears that a decent section of the Rangers fan base reckon Gordon should have been sent off for the totally accident head clash where Danilo headers the back of his head. As apparently it was reckless and dangerous play, if that’s the case lads, may as well never challenge a player in the air ever again. The worst part is, they’re genuinely serious when they suggest it. 

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

In total whataboutary it appears that a decent section of the Rangers fan base reckon Gordon should have been sent off for the totally accident head clash where Danilo headers the back of his head. As apparently it was reckless and dangerous play, if that’s the case lads, may as well never challenge a player in the air ever again. The worst part is, they’re genuinely serious when they suggest it. 

Rangers fans aren't the brightest though. 

15 minutes ago, Widge said:

From the images of the travelling support on Saturday I saw, it looks like many of them have had horrific head injuries themselves.

25 minutes ago, Widge said:

We need to crack down on the use of reckless. Its either reckless or dangerous, 1 is a yellow & 1 is a red.

Kit clash too, you want the kits to clash. You're talking about a kit blend!