St Johnstone v Rangers, 16/09/23 12.30 KO

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

Neither of them are what you’d call stonewallers, really. The first is very similar to one we had turned down against Killie on the opening day that most seemed to think wasn’t a penalty.

Give over.  The one with the keeper is a clear foul and therefore a penalty should have been given.  Fucking nonsense to say otherwise.

Probably felt Saints weren't dreadful yesterday but suspect that's more because of how far we've fallen.

We'll all keep talking about how these players will (hopefully) improve but, right now, how many of them are good enough?

Maybe the most damning thing is that even though the new signings haven't exactly blown you away, they are largely still better than the dross assembled by the £1.5 million men.

23 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

He gives nothing in attack apart from passing to the opposition, or get caught with the ball and takled. He doesn't run back and doesn't close down. You were a man down with him on the park.  Anyone and i mean anyone would have been better on the right for you.

Carey was playing in the centre for us, which is why Lundstram had so much space every time he picked up the ball. Numerous times Carey would rather mark a CB and leave him unmarked and then turn to furiously moan at the 2 CMs, who were about 20 yards deeper, for not leaving their men to push up on his.

Quite why MacLean thinks, after seeing Carey play regularly for us for over a year now, he was the best option in there i dunno. Do think we're now trapped in a position where he looks the only creative one so keeps getting played, rather than try without him and see if someone steps up. I think Turner-Cooke will give us as much while also working harder and being more mobile, things MacLean said he wanted to build his midfield/attack around, but we'll probably have yet more months of watching Carey flounce about until it clicks.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Carey was playing in the centre for us, which is why Lundstram had so much space every time he picked up the ball. Numerous times Carey would rather mark a CB and leave him unmarked and then turn to furiously moan at the 2 CMs, who were about 20 yards deeper, for not leaving their men to push up on his.

Sorry you are correct, he did get switched to the right where it became more obvious that marking or closing down was not for him. In my eyes, it was very unprofessional, I would be raging if I had play along side him.

Anyway good luck for the season.

3 hours ago, The Marly said:

Give over.  The one with the keeper is a clear foul and therefore a penalty should have been given.  Fucking nonsense to say otherwise.

I think it could have been more of one if Kane didn't dive so early. Butland pulls out a bit and makes Kane look a bit ridiculous tbh.

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think it could have been more of one if Kane didn't dive so early. Butland pulls out a bit and makes Kane look a bit ridiculous tbh.

Kane doesn't dive, his left foot is caught by the same foot Butland kicks the ball with.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kane doesn't dive, his left foot is caught by the same foot Butland kicks the ball with.

I'm not denying there is contact but Kane is still at it for me as he was banking on Butland totally committing . Kyogo tries this sort of stuff too, some folk can't see past there own team at times.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I'm not denying there is contact but Kane is still at it for me as he was banking on Butland totally committing . Kyogo tries this sort of stuff too, some folk can't see past there own team at times.

Kanes a diving b*****d, hes at it constantly particularly when backing into CBs at goal kicks where he'll just randomly fall forward. Its arguably one of his main positives for us as he wins us so many free kicks.

Yesterday wasnt that, and youd see it better in real time than slowed down.

I didn’t think it was a penalty in real time, but what’s the point in having VAR of it doesn’t even get the referee to take a look at an incident that could be called either way. The fact there’s 2 incidents that are worthy of a review and should arguably have been sent to the monitor is proof that the people using the system are flawed. I can maybe see why the Butland one isn’t given; however Lawrence grabbing Kane around the shoulders and waist as the balls in the air is a clear penalty. 

Can we also talk about Yilmaz and his flying kung fu kick into Max, then having the audacity to claim he was fouled. That was a particular highlight. 

Both those penalty shouts are close calls, the one with the keeper is a penalty for me, either way you can rest assured Rangers are getting both of those at ibrix against anyone else in the league and if not it would be statement galore with referees being taken off premiership games for weeks.

19 minutes ago, Widge said:

I didn’t think it was a penalty in real time, but what’s the point in having VAR of it doesn’t even get the referee to take a look at an incident that could be called either way. The fact there’s 2 incidents that are worthy of a review and should arguably have been sent to the monitor is proof that the people using the system are flawed. 

The ref is only asked to review a decision if the VAR thinks he has made a clear and obvious error.

20 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Both those penalty shouts are close calls, the one with the keeper is a penalty for me, either way you can rest assured Rangers are getting both of those at ibrix against anyone else in the league and if not it would be statement galore with referees being taken off premiership games for weeks.

river18-768x512.jpg

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quite why MacLean thinks, after seeing Carey play regularly for us for over a year now, he was the best option in there i dunno. Do think we're now trapped in a position where he looks the only creative one so keeps getting played, rather than try without him and see if someone steps up. I think Turner-Cooke will give us as much while also working harder and being more mobile, things MacLean said he wanted to build his midfield/attack around, but we'll probably have yet more months of watching Carey flounce about until it clicks.

I was really surprised JTC didn’t start yeaterday. One of the better ones agains Dundee and looks to have a bit about him. 

2 hours ago, RuMoore said:

I almost made the mistake of posting that our disallowed goal was marginal but thankfully didn't follow through...

Why not?

Offsides are ropey, particularly ones as close as that, because VAR cant guarantee to actually get the frame where the balls kicked.

I read that for offsides if the lines drawn for the attacker and the defender overlap then it is considered onside(even if the attackers line is ahead). It looked like that was the case yesterday so I’m not sure how true that is.

Edited by AJF