Behaviour of our Fans

andyg83

48 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Just my tuppence worth on the booing of GSTK. We live in a country where the media is controlled in London and clearly Anglo - centric. The coverage reflects this and we in Scotland  are told fairly regularly that we are “ in mourning “ or  alternatively “ celebrating” whatever is happening within the Royal Family at any given time.

Now I can’t speak for everyone here but by and large all the guys I know that follow club and international football could not give a flying f*ck about the Royals . We have no voice in the media to represent this view . We have no control over the media which is pumped into our homes/ phones/ lives so it’s perhaps not surprising that when a group of like minded people come together for a big event and are expected once again to observe a ritual for our supposed betters that we let off steam and tell them to shove it up their *rse.

I agree with alot of your point but celebrating anyones death is just stupid. We need to just let it go ffs. We used to be regarded as the best fans around. Now we are as bad as anyone else - by everyone's admissions.

BTQ - No issue booing GSTK as I stated in the very first post. 

I know it's not the point of the thread but it's been mentioned;

GSTK is a monarchist anthem, the majority of Scots are republican. Simple. It's not the British Anthem, it's the Anthem of the Royal Family. Britain, as a monarchy, uses their song. The fake outrage from the media is nonsense - it's our official anthem, and we have every right to boo it.

Onto the fan behaviour - the Harry Kane chant needs binned. Didn't hear it myself but I've seen it on videos.

Lizzie's in a box - boo boo. The only folk upset are the fanatic arse-lickers and for that reason - keep going folks. However, the one Scotland supporter who started shouting it during the minute's silence (twice!) was out of line. For anyone unaware - that is why the English started shouting and booing during the silence. It was also the same p***k the second time.

At half-time and at the goal for 2-1, (glass) bottles were thrown from the South Upper into the England end. Looked like 16, 17, maybe 18 year olds. Arseholes, either way. English went (rightfully) mental but attacked the police instead of the wee p***ks.

It's Scotland v England, Charles is king, Unionism v Republicanism is more polarised now, and, well, it was a 'perfect' storm for poor fan behaviour. Not as bad as one English fan asking everyone to meet him outside, though.

We're a good support for policing ourselves, especially abroad. More of that and things will be fine.

25 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

GSTK is a monarchist anthem, the majority of Scots are republican. Simple. It's not the British Anthem, it's the Anthem of the Royal Family. Britain, as a monarchy, uses their song. The fake outrage from the media is nonsense - it's our official anthem, and we have every right to boo it.

Onto the fan behaviour - the Harry Kane chant needs binned. Didn't hear it myself but I've seen it on videos.

Lizzie's in a box - boo boo. The only folk upset are the fanatic arse-lickers and for that reason - keep going folks. However, the one Scotland supporter who started shouting it during the minute's silence (twice!) was out of line. For anyone unaware - that is why the English started shouting and booing during the silence. It was also the same p***k the second time.

At half-time and at the goal for 2-1, (glass) bottles were thrown from the South Upper into the England end. Looked like 16, 17, maybe 18 year olds. Arseholes, either way. English went (rightfully) mental but attacked the police instead of the wee p***ks.

It's Scotland v England, Charles is king, Unionism v Republicanism is more polarised now, and, well, it was a 'perfect' storm for poor fan behaviour. Not as bad as one English fan asking everyone to meet him outside, though.

We're a good support for policing ourselves, especially abroad. More of that and things will be fine.

We don't seem to be good at self policing at home though.

Get Lizzie in a box in the bin imo. We should be classier than that.

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I didn’t hear Ryan Jack get booed at all on Tuesday. I have heard it once before, so I’m not saying it’s never happened, but if he got booed on Tuesday it must have been localised to one stand as it wasn’t audible in the North Stand.

I didn't hear anyone booing Ryan Jack from the North Stand either, but I did hear the Harry Kane chant to my left, was fucking cringeworthy.

6 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Just my tuppence worth on the booing of GSTK. We live in a country where the media is controlled in London and clearly Anglo - centric. The coverage reflects this and we in Scotland  are told fairly regularly that we are “ in mourning “ or  alternatively “ celebrating” whatever is happening within the Royal Family at any given time.

Now I can’t speak for everyone here but by and large all the guys I know that follow club and international football could not give a flying f*ck about the Royals . We have no voice in the media to represent this view . We have no control over the media which is pumped into our homes/ phones/ lives so it’s perhaps not surprising that when a group of like minded people come together for a big event and are expected once again to observe a ritual for our supposed betters that we let off steam and tell them to shove it up their *rse.

5 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

So here's a question. What about the the other 40 or 50 percent of folk who are unionists and don't mind the Royals?

Are they not welcome at Scotland games these days or do you have to be of a certain political viewpoint?

14 minutes ago, andyg83 said:

So here's a question. What about the the other 40 or 50 percent of folk who are unionists and don't mind the Royals?

Are they not welcome at Scotland games these days or do you have to be of a certain political viewpoint?

Of course they are welcome . It’s a football team not a political party.

They might have to accept though that on the odd occasion when we play England GSTK will get pelters. If that isn’t something they can deal with then don’t go to games v England. 

7 hours ago, andyg83 said:

They are welcome. The hardcore royalists (hardcore rangers fans, orange order, "am British" type) have stopped coming anyway. The other ones who do have the Monarchist views, but still support Scotland, can just not boo, and accept that others will. If they don't do the latter, it's their problem.

Suggesting that Republican Scots should be silent to not offend the Monarchist Scots is... well it's simply anti-democractic.

Booing the anthem in large numbers, and/or singing about the Queen being dead, is a form of protest. We don't really have that media and political representation anymore, we're always shouted down at a UK level.

8 hours ago, andyg83 said:

f**k em

On 15/09/2023 at 08:22, andyg83 said:

I don't care about booing GSTK which is maybe a bit disrespectful but I have done it myself as I can't stand it as an anthem.

9 hours ago, andyg83 said:

It seems like as long as you do something then it's fine but if you find something distasteful then the rest of the crowd need to stop doing it.

Can we have your definitive list of what the crowd can and can't do before the next game? Maybe start another thread about it like you've done here 3 days after the game when the same subject had already been done to death in the match thread.

17 hours ago, andyg83 said:

I agree with alot of your point but celebrating anyones death is just stupid. We need to just let it go ffs. We used to be regarded as the best fans around. Now we are as bad as anyone else - by everyone's admissions.

BTQ - No issue booing GSTK as I stated in the very first post. 

This was because Scotland fans never went to away matches looking looking for aggro and generally were well behaved (at least post early 80s onwards and if considering games at Wembley the exception). This was in stark contrast to English fans at the time and was therefore greatly (self) promoted to accentuate that difference. It certainly wasn't to do with having an extremely tasteful song book that even the most easily offended could enjoy. I think there has been a little bit too much hand-wringing going on since last week.....

6 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It seems like as long as you do something then it's fine but if you find something distasteful then the rest of the crowd need to stop doing it.

Can we have your definitive list of what the crowd can and can't do before the next game? Maybe start another thread about it like you've done here 3 days after the game when the same subject had already been done to death in the match thread.

Happy to help any way I can. 😉

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Aye fine. It's her opinion and it was a few days after the event

Singing about it a year on makes us look like immature cnuts.

The way I see it the monarchy probably died with the Queen. No need to obsess about it at football matches. 

45 minutes ago, andyg83 said:

Aye fine. It's her opinion and it was a few days after the event

Singing about it a year on makes us look like immature cnuts.

The way I see it the monarchy probably died with the Queen. No need to obsess about it at football matches. 

It very obviously didn't.

AEF38DF8-FEFD-4C0D-A3A2444D9EC7F7DE-_JM_5233.jpg

Edited by ArabFC

Visited my parents today and got talking about the game, as they knew I was at it. They are Daily Mail reading, No voting Royalists. So I was surprised when my Dad was actually justified the booing of GSTK saying it was down to the Scottish fans being unhappy that England were using the UK anthem and not one of their own.  He did then admit that it would probably be booed regardless what was used.