Behaviour of our Fans

andyg83

Folks,  

What are people's thoughts on the behaviour of some of our fans at the England game the other night?

I don't care about booing GSTK which is maybe a bit disrespectful but I have done it myself as I can't stand it as an anthem.

Thousands singing about "Lizzie in a box" and booing Ryan Jack though? Really?

I know a few Rangers fans who went who said it was less than welcoming for them as they were stuck in an area with loads of Aberdeen fans.

In the main I reckon our fans behave generally OK but i know loads of folk who stopped going due to drunk @#rsholes over the years. 

Have we got a problem that needs to be talked about at least?

Edited by andyg83

Like every team and country, there have always been arseholes in the support, but the fact we're doing so well and selling out pretty much every home and away game means that there will naturally be a higher number of them, especially when you factor in that we've played both England and Ireland in the past year which will bring out the worst in people (or just the worst people). The crowds are getting younger, but tbh that's just in addition to the older fellas who've always used Scotland trips to "git away fae the missus."

There's also the cringeworthy footy lad bants that you see and hear across Britain - the Brains Trust's attempts to come up with edgy songs to sing in the hope of making it onto a post with tons of "🤣" emojis. 

I think generally the vast majority of our supporters are well behaved but there will always be a few idiots that take it to far. Also in games like this similar to club derbies there is always that extra edge that some people just can't handle and take way to far. 

The Harry Kane song is fucking ridiculous and needs put in the bin. Mentioned in the other thread that in Cyprus a fan confronted a group of young boys singing this and turns out they had a handicapped gentleman in their group. So absolutely fair play to the lassie who called them out. If you shouted that kind of shite in the street at any other time you are getting lifted and rightly so. 

There was also a group of boys a few rows in front of us attempting to knock f**k out each other after the second goal. Fucking embarrassing. 

Would happily never play England again. 

38 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Like every team and country, there have always been arseholes in the support, but the fact we're doing so well and selling out pretty much every home and away game means that there will naturally be a higher number of them, especially when you factor in that we've played both England and Ireland in the past year which will bring out the worst in people (or just the worst people). The crowds are getting younger, but tbh that's just in addition to the older fellas who've always used Scotland trips to "git away fae the missus."

There's also the cringeworthy footy lad bants that you see and hear across Britain - the Brains Trust's attempts to come up with edgy songs to sing in the hope of making it onto a post with tons of "🤣" emojis. 

34 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I think generally the vast majority of our supporters are well behaved but there will always be a few idiots that take it to far. Also in games like this similar to club derbies there is always that extra edge that some people just can't handle and take way to far. 

The Harry Kane song is fucking ridiculous and needs put in the bin. Mentioned in the other thread that in Cyprus a fan confronted a group of young boys singing this and turns out they had a handicapped gentleman in their group. So absolutely fair play to the lassie who called them out. If you shouted that kind of shite in the street at any other time you are getting lifted and rightly so. 

There was also a group of boys a few rows in front of us attempting to knock f**k out each other after the second goal. Fucking embarrassing. 

Would happily never play England again. 

Agree with all of this lads. Glad it's not just me feeling this way. 

I don't go to many away games, so my opinion probably doesn't hold much weight, but I've always seen our fans as largely harmless, with the worst of them just being embarrassing rather than actually harmful.  I couldn't see there being many stories of us going to a town square in France and having a patio-furniture based war with the police, put it that way.  At home games, usually it's just people being drunk.  Guys falling asleep, acting like c***s, picking fights, but that's not necessarily a Scotland thing, more a football thing.  

But ultimately, every fan base is going to have elements in it that are arseholes.  And even then, the stuff that one person finds pretty abhorrent will be fine to others.  The songs mentioned I probably wouldn't sing, but I don't think I'd go anywhere near as far as being angry at those that are.

Treating the entire Scotland support as one entity is a bit naive. You get folk that go to every game home and away - you get folk that just bought a ticket because it was a big occasion, you get folk who treat it as a night out and get right on it, you get folk who go with their families. Just worry about yourself and let police/stewards do their job if it's required

Away from home is a bit different as you're part of a travelling group abroad

2 hours ago, andyg83 said:

I think it would have possibly been the Aberdeen to Rangers angle? Agree that it should be left at home. 

"Lizzie in a box" is just fecking disgraceful in my opinion and I am not keen on the Royals. Surely we are better than that!

I'm not.

If you think international sport aganst your biggest rival and should be payed in a cultural and political vacuum football probably isn't for you.

Ableist shite can get in the bin though.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Surely there wasn’t a single person attending last night who wouldn’t have known full well that ‘Lizzie’s in a box’ was getting an airing or two? There’s chants about the Queen being deid at Thistle v Raith for f**k sake, of course it’ll happen at Scotland v England. 

The Harry Kane song is absolutely unacceptable and needs binned immediately, but I’ve absolutely no issue with Lizzie’s in a box. 

1 hour ago, forameus said:

The songs mentioned I probably wouldn't sing, but I don't think I'd go anywhere near as far as being angry at those that are.

I can fully understand people's anger at people singing that Harry Kane song.

There will be many fans at the game who have friends, family members etc who have disabilities and learning difficulties etc  and to have listen to that shite being sung. There will also be fans like myself, who think it is fucking disgusting to sing that shite and anyone doing so should be ashamed of themselves. The word in that song imo is one of the most despicable things you can label at a person and is right up there with racism and homophobia.