Russell Brand - In Plain Sight

ICTChris

9 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Yes this part really stood out for me given I have a daughter of similar age. It’s been suggested that it was a BBC limousine on occasion and is alleged that part of the reasoning was that so Brand did not get seen out in public with a 16 year old and she was effectively whisked to his flat like a takeaway. That to me is sickening.

If this is true then BBC are imo enablers. I don’t care if 16 is legal that’s a child and as others have said the dynamics of a relationship between a schoolgirl and a man in her 30s are very similar to Savile . I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more young teenagers to come forward , imo very unlikely this was a one - off.

Horrific stuff all round - I certainly think if anyone signed off on a BBC car collecting her from school that they should no longer be in a job. It is actually hard to comprehend someone with that level of thinking, but it seems the media is a morality vacuum. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Horrific stuff all round - I certainly think if anyone signed off on a BBC car collecting her from school that they should no longer be in a job. It is actually hard to comprehend someone with that level of thinking, but it seems the media is a morality vacuum. 

There was mention of her being told to pretend that she was his god daughter, can't remember if that was him or the BBC.

35 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

charlotte-church-daily-star.jpg.894e4c62d3f87b1f35993cf1056414f7.jpg

Just googled it and the story is from 2001. I had seen it before but hadn’t realised she was only 15 in the picture .

Chris Moyles famously offered to take her virginity at 16 live on air ( the offer not the virginity ) but as I recall it was all swept away as bantz. 

22 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Just googled it and the story is from 2001. I had seen it before but hadn’t realised she was only 15 in the picture .

Chris Moyles famously offered to take her virginity at 16 live on air ( the offer not the virginity ) but as I recall it was all swept away as bantz. 

Boys will be boys eh.

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

Lots of parallels with Brand and Savile. 

The evidence of Savile's crimes was people coming forward years after them happening. I don't remember many folk saying 'ah but he can't defend himself, innocent until proven guilty' etc

Unfortunately, there were plenty of people whose initial reaction to the Savile accusations was exactly that, including his former assistant who he'd treated like garbage, but was still happy to go on camera complaining about low-class young women willing to make up allegations for money. The difference with Savile was the sheer avalanche of people coming forward to share their experiences quickly made the "innocent until proven guilty" crowd wind their necks in from protecting a man who was dead anyway. I guarantee there'll still be plenty of people who privately feel that Savile was treated unfairly, but know that saying so will make them look like an apologist for abuse.

20 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

It's interesting to see that the Aughts is starting to be considered a time when dodgy behaviour was rampant but accepted. I'm sure the auld fart demographic of P&B will remember the general feeling of enlightenment at the time in comparison to the Seventies, which were being re-evaluated as a horrifying wasteland for inappropriate behaviour.

The only difference seems to be that it was considered "ironic" twenty years ago. That, and the lack of nightmarish brown and orange fashions.

6 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Unfortunately, there were plenty of people whose initial reaction to the Savile accusations was exactly that, including his former assistant who he'd treated like garbage, but was still happy to go on camera complaining about low-class young women willing to make up allegations for money. The difference with Savile was the sheer avalanche of people coming forward to share their experiences quickly made the "innocent until proven guilty" crowd wind their necks in from protecting a man who was dead anyway. I guarantee there'll still be plenty of people who privately feel that Savile was treated unfairly, but know that saying so will make them look like an apologist for abuse.

There was a Twitter account that stood up for Savile after the revelations started.  They arranged a memorial walk around a park in Leeds in his memory a couple of years after his death.  What an occasion that must have been.

It's interesting to see that the Aughts is starting to be considered a time when dodgy behaviour was rampant but accepted. I'm sure the auld fart demographic of P&B will remember the general feeling of enlightenment at the time in comparison to the Seventies, which were being re-evaluated as a horrifying wasteland for inappropriate behaviour.

The only difference seems to be that it was considered "ironic" twenty years ago. That, and the lack of nightmarish brown and orange fashions.

I think that is it - people thought what Brand was saying and doing was transgressive and ironic.  Most left-wing and liberal outlets and commentators were heavily on his and Jonathan Ross' side over the Andrew Sachs phone call.  Here's a good example of a left-liberal type take then and now

The first tweet is in relation to this article - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3065667/Russell-Brand-misogynist-hurt-abused-says-ex-girlfriend-labels-Ed-Miliband-fool-getting-bed-him.html

4 hours ago, virginton said:

It's only a window 'into the nature of the man', if you think that it's actually unusual or unique behavior to Brand in the context of famous or powerful young men. I suspect if you huckled every single, even remotely 'famous' man between 18-30 for seriously dodgy relationships with star-dazzled teenagers, then you wouldn't have many footballers, actors, musicians etc. who wouldn't be cancelled. 

I'm fine with this.

Moyles' Wiki page has a hilariously lengthy 'controversies' section, much of which would result in an instant cancellation in 2023. There are reasons why today he's jobbing around at an obscure radio station and not the massive TV personality he thought he'd be by this stage of his career.

32 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I’m probably in the auld fart demographic and to be honest I’m quite shocked at this stuff from early 2000s because as you say that period felt enlightened when compared to me growing up in the late 70s/ early 80s when Benny Hill and the like were still prime time stars .

My perception of that period is way off by the looks of things .

16 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I suppose that living through it you don't get the full picture and it's really just isolated incidents you recall.

I think the current call out culture, 'cancellations' and, for want of a better word here, 'wokeism' is probably a direct reaction (and sometimes over-correction tbf) to this period where deeply unpleasant, often talentless arseholes were given almost free reign to behave appallingly (and often criminally) to whatever group or individual they fancied.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

We're going to Hell in a handcart.

In more ways than one :-

UN chief warns ‘our world is becoming unhinged' in general assembly opening speech

"The world is becoming unhinged as geopolitical tensions rise and the world seems incapable of coming together to respond to mounting global challenges, the UN secretary general António Guterres said in his speech opening of the UN general assembly in New York.

He warned global governance was “stuck in time” at a point when strong modern multilateral institutions are in greater need than ever before."