Edinburgh City v Cove: First L1 managerial casualty awaits?

It's 10th v 9th.

Must be strong odds on whichever manager suffers defeat here to be under the most severe pressure and a pending P45?

Cove travel to the Meadowbank for the first time in league action coming off a home draw to Kelty which stopped the run of 3 consecutive defeats.

We're starting to find out feet and fully expect better from us going forward with the boost of Fyvie being back. No doubt he is top quality for this level and will strengthen us considerably. I'd like to think what we've shown so far is well below our capabilities and we can rise towards the promotion playoffs spots but we need to tighten defensively and find a couple of back to back wins to regain confidence.

City with 11 straight defeats in all competitions, conceding 34 and scoring 12. That's a difficult rut to break out from but at home against the side closest to you is the perfect opportunity.

How's Robbie Leitch been for you so far?

Fully expect goals in this one.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

The vultures are starting to circle for Maybury after the Montrose result on Saturday but I don't think this game will be his make or break moment.  We've still got Alloa and Kelty after this and then I think he might be on a shoogly peg if we fail to pick up any points after the first round of games.  

We've been well beaten by Hamilton, Falkirk and Montrose but there's been a lot of good performances from the new signings including Robbie Leitch but they still seem to be working on gelling together as a team and we've just lacked that little bit of luck (or a defence) in the tighter games against QOTS, Stirling and Annan that we had last season which has left us in the position we're in.

I think we just need to get that elusive win to build a bit of confidence and crack on with the rest of the season.  

On 17/09/2023 at 13:11, tamthebam said:

It would be funny to see that fud Hartley emptied. 

Won't happen. 

Nope, he could burn the place down, and he’d get told not to do it again. He is a protected species at Cove.

41 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Nope, he could burn the place down, and he’d get told not to do it again. He is a protected species at Cove.

Feels like it's already ablaze. A large majority of the Cove fans would be glad to never see him again. Thing is our support is so small he's not feeling the wrath from the fans nearly as much as he would do at the likes of Falkirk. 

He failed his remit last season spectacularly and is current failing this season too in nearly every aspect.

Will naturally be progression with Fyvie back. Even with his poor excuse of recruitment this summer there should still be enough "quality" to rise up the league from where we are now and get back challenging for the promotion playoff spots. I expect we'll improve enough, he'll stagger along until at least Christmas or more likely until the end of the season.

Personally, if we lose this Saturday that's more than enough for me and he should be shown the door.

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Feels like it's already ablaze. A large majority of the Cove fans would be glad to never see him again. Thing is our support is so small he's not feeling the wrath from the fans nearly as much as he would do at the likes of Falkirk. 

He failed his remit last season spectacularly and is current failing this season too in nearly every aspect.

Will naturally be progression with Fyvie back. Even with his poor excuse of recruitment this summer there should still be enough "quality" to rise up the league from where we are now and get back challenging for the promotion playoff spots. I expect we'll improve enough, he'll stagger along until at least Christmas or more likely until the end of the season.

Personally, if we lose this Saturday that's more than enough for me and he should be shown the door.

How’s Scott Williamson got on during his loan spell so far ? 

20 minutes ago, qpfc said:

How’s Scott Williamson got on during his loan spell so far ? 

He's looked promising so far without setting it alight. Definitely got the pace to get in behind and has strong work-rate. I'd say he's still raw, snatched a few chances and runs with his head down a bit too often. 

There is a player in him for sure and will get goals in L1.

Saturday was his first time starting on the bench as Mitch and Burrell were favoured up top as we changed from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 with the addition of Fyvie. With Fyvie back, and us playing less direct, he'll get more targeted through balls and likely impress more imo. Should be a decent platform to show his ability. 

Right now I wouldn't place him as a regular Championship striker, especially not for a team like yourselves who will want to challenge at the top end. He'd be getting minutes at ends of games for you I suspect so probably right to loan him out for his development.

Got any wingers or right backs going spare!?

I can't make the game tomorrow but think a defeat would mean 20% of the season gone already and "nil points" (french accent) in the bag. 

Personally I admire Maybury and what he's done for the club. The Chairman's vote of confidence earlier in the week should give him a couple more games at least. 

Can't fault what John and Colin have done for the club since the takeover (changing the name, a thousand percent improvement in fan communication) but they face a tough decision. Change the manager to try and stay up, or accept that relegation is likely, keep Maybury and focus on getting the framework right for next season (stadium, squad, under 20s etc).

On a separate note they are missing a trick by not having at least a merchandise table at Meadowbank to sell a scarf / bobble hat or two !! 

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

Personally I admire Maybury and what he's done for the club. The Chairman's vote of confidence earlier in the week should give him a couple more games at least. 

Can't fault what John and Colin have done for the club since the takeover  but they face a tough decision. Change the manager to try and stay up, or accept that relegation is likely, keep Maybury and focus on getting the framework right for next season.

So you think if Alan Maybury continues as manager then, we're definitely getting relegated?

I don't. We just need a win to get some confidence.

IF, we beat Cove then I think we'd go on a wee run and beat Alloa and Kelty as well.

We've really missed Fontaine this season and IF he gets fit enough to play a few 90 minutes then that would make a massive difference to us keeping some clean sheets.

For Cove, we'll I'm surprised to see them just above us as they're expected to be one of the top 4 teams and certainly in the playoffs.

They've some very good players, but so have we so I hope for a narrow home win to get us up and moving in the right direction.

Edited by Tenkay

I'd like us just to be a bit less naive, we're so easy to play against just now it's frightening. I've said it in numerous places but we got far too carried away with the first half of last season, that was always an anomaly and we need to re-adjust our expectations and therefore approach to games.

2 pints tomorrow and I'll have us winning 4-0.

Our pre-match write up suggests we have a full strength squad to choose from apart from long term injuries Luke Strachan and Josh Kerr. It's now or never to get the win to start the run we need to get back towards the playoff spots. Likely an unchanged lineup unless Gillingham replaces Reynolds.

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/09/22/manager-hoping-to-kick-on-in-capital/

I expect City to be a lot tighter and more organised than last week's encounter at Links Park which I watched on the weekly SPFL highlights.

Hartley's last dance for me; if we fail to take anything from the game it would be pure nepotism keeping him here any longer. 

8 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

I can't make the game tomorrow but think a defeat would mean 20% of the season gone already and "nil points" (french accent) in the bag. 

On a separate note they are missing a trick by not having at least a merchandise table at Meadowbank to sell a scarf / bobble hat or two !! 

Probably needs someone to volunteer to do it. Perhaps the programme editor could do it in between manning the turnstiles, selling the programme and sweeping the floor with the broom up his bahoochie.

There was a merchandise stall back in the East of Scotland/Lowland League days. Fans were terrified into buying tat by either a mean looking Wimbledon fan, a mad Geordie or a dour Yorkshireman

On 22/09/2023 at 14:24, Tenkay said:

So you think if Alan Maybury continues as manager then, we're definitely getting relegated?

No, I think he can keep us up if we win today. 

I think if we lose today and stay on nil points after 7 games and being possibly 8 points adrift of the rest - then it is just too far a gap to make up. Doesn't really matter who the manager is. The form has been poor since January and the squad is weaker. 

Can't remember ever feeling as bad after a draw. Painful stuff.

Thought Shanley was basically unplayable today, he's just so so good.

Clear to me the players are still playing for Maybury and keeping him in the job looks to be the right decision (and one I support). Surprised by how poor Cove were to be honest, expected more (and wasn't expecting much!)

Young Offord trying to chip the goalie when he was clean through to win it will haunt my dreams tonight. Something he'll learn from no doubt.

Bit of aggro between some Cove fans and maybe one of our players at the end? Didn't see it properly but lots of shouting and protesting of innocence etc.

4 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Good stuff lino (this wasn't given for those not at the game)

20230923_193941.jpg

City Park, Spartans v City, cycle track end, about 25 years ago 

Spartans keeper scoops one out of the back of the net from further back than that. No goal given.

I'm still bitter about that one. So bitter in fact that I'm away to graffiti "we wuz robbed" on the yuppy flats that are there now 

Gutted not to take all 3 points yesterday.  
Fair play to the team to try and go for a 3rd goal to kill off the game rather than attempt some time wasting to grind out the result.

Outstanding performance from Shanley, ran the defence ragged and very unlucky with his first goal not being given and whacking the post in injury time.

Probably the best team performance I’ve seen this season and a clear sign of intent not to lie down over this campaign.  Hopefully we can take some confidence from this and pick up more points over the next couple of weeks to tighten things up at the bottom of the table.

Only worrying thing yesterday was Murray going off injured as he’s been our most consistent player over the season so far.