Minute’s Silence

Dee Man

The thing I need explained to me is the criteria for a football match played in the UK to see players lined up around the centre circle, and fans asked to observe a minute (or moment) of silence. An earthquake in Morocco, floods in Libya. What about floods in places like Bangladesh or Pakistan, that seem pretty regular events. A school mass shooting in America? A plane crash in the Amazon?

In regard to individuals kakking it, who decides? What if auld Joe in the White House shuffles off and we subsequently learn that Kim fae’ North Korea kakked it after his train from Russia back to Pyongyang took forty weeks to make the journey? Silence for both, or just auld’ Joe Biden? Say Billy Connolly goes, minute’s silence at Scottish fitba’ grounds?

Who actually decides this stuff? Is there a sliding scale based on casualty numbers? In my opinion, in regard to individuals it should be limited to someone from a football club. If it was someone from St Mirren or Hearts, on Saturday, should be observed at that game, and that game alone. Someone like Craig Brown who served the national team, at all Scottish grounds, and Scottish grounds alone.

In regard to natural disasters, or anything else in that ballpark, should only be at football in the actual country involved. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t care, or other countries shouldn’t send aid to places, but fitba’ players standing around a centre circle? I don’t get it.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Showing your age there, poz.................

Bloody right. Next year, May 6th marks the 50th anniversary of my first gig.

(I actually really like Budgie. ‘Napoleon Bona Parts 1+2’, ‘Breadfan’, ‘Breaking All the House Rules’… ‘The riff on Breadfan is fcuking awesome).

Thread drifttttt. Sorry.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

The thing I need explained to me is the criteria for a football match played in the UK to see players lined up around the centre circle, and fans asked to observe a minute (or moment) of silence. An earthquake in Morocco, floods in Libya. What about floods in places like Bangladesh or Pakistan, that seem pretty regular events. A school mass shooting in America? A plane crash in the Amazon?

In regard to individuals kakking it, who decides? What if auld Joe in the White House shuffles off and we subsequently learn that Kim fae’ North Korea kakked it after his train from Russia back to Pyongyang took forty weeks to make the journey? Silence for both, or just auld’ Joe Biden? Say Billy Connolly goes, minute’s silence at Scottish fitba’ grounds?

Who actually decides this stuff? Is there a sliding scale based on casualty numbers? In my opinion, in regard to individuals it should be limited to someone from a football club. If it was someone from St Mirren or Hearts, on Saturday, should be observed at that game, and that game alone. Someone like Craig Brown who served the national team, at all Scottish grounds, and Scottish grounds alone.

In regard to natural disasters, or anything else in that ballpark, should only be at football in the actual country involved. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t care, or other countries shouldn’t send aid to places, but fitba’ players standing around a centre circle? I don’t get it.

If we had a minutes silence for every mass shooting in the USA the teams would be coming out the tunnel at half 2 every week 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Bloody right. Next year, May 6th marks the 50th anniversary of my first gig.

(I actually really like Budgie. ‘Napoleon Bona Parts 1+2’, ‘Breadfan’, ‘Breaking All the House Rules’… ‘The riff on Breadfan is fcuking awesome).

Thread drifttttt. Sorry.

Metallica's version of Breadfan is tremendous.

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

The charade/circus for weeks around it is absolutely fair game for criticism. 

But that doesn’t equate to the one minute’s silence itself. Having to steel yourself to bear it once a year doesn’t strike me as the hardest of asks. 

That's the point though - it isn't once a year. I think the Pars had three either last season or the season before, since every club seems to do one the last Saturday before Remembrance Day and the way the fixtures fell meant we had two away games with a silence then a home game. Surely it should just be for the games on Remembrance Weekend?

2 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Last I heard, Pac was in Costa Rica or Serbia.

I think a lot of these silences or claps come down to clubs being unable to say no.

Not great PR to 'not care' about the flood in wherever, the war over there, or poor dead Jimmy who supported the club for every day of his 67 years.

It could we worse, after the Boxing Day Tsunami in Indonesia we had a silence and a collection for victims at the game. Sadly undone by the PA Guy playing the Manic Street Preachers song "Tsunami" at half time...

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

All the silences I'd seen at games were for ex-players, managers, staff or board members of a club which all made sense. I think the first one that didn't was when we had a minutes silence for a murdered schoolgirl (might have been the Soham girls, might have been Sarah Payne?) and the rationale seemed to be there was a photo of them in a football kit (Man Utd I think for the former, Everton for the latter?) and ever since then it's been commonplace to have them for various different events. Trying to remember if they had one after 9/11 or not? Possibly. Should just go back to former players and staff at the club involved or Hall of Famers for the National Team IMO 

I remember there being a minutes silence at every ground in the UK for the Soham murders. We had it at a Derby game and afterwards in town I saw some people had left teddies and flowers at the Town House in Inverness as a tribute to the two murdered children.

Around the same time a girl around the same age as the victims in Soham was murdered in Inverness, by her stepfather. I don’t recall there being a minutes silence at our game or any tribute in Inverness at all for it.

36 minutes ago, MeganKliry said:

I issued a WestStein prepaid card for myself, I liked working with them. I've been using it for a long time, so I can confidently recommend it to you. And opening takes no more than five minutes. Then you can quickly make any payments, everything is fast and secure.

minutes silence for this pish?

There was a minute's silence at Boghead on the Saturday after the Dunblane massacre. Just as the referee blew to signal the start, an ice cream van in one of the neighbouring streets started its chime. A complete coincidence but it made it a bit more poignant given the ages of the victims.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I remember there being a minutes silence at every ground in the UK for the Soham murders. We had it at a Derby game and afterwards in town I saw some people had left teddies and flowers at the Town House in Inverness as a tribute to the two murdered children.

Around the same time a girl around the same age as the victims in Soham was murdered in Inverness, by her stepfather. I don’t recall there being a minutes silence at our game or any tribute in Inverness at all for it.

Tcheucter lives matter!