Minute’s Silence

Dee Man

20 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The thing I need explained to me is the criteria for a football match played in the UK to see players lined up around the centre circle, and fans asked to observe a minute (or moment) of silence. An earthquake in Morocco, floods in Libya. What about floods in places like Bangladesh or Pakistan, that seem pretty regular events. A school mass shooting in America? A plane crash in the Amazon?

In regard to individuals kakking it, who decides? What if auld Joe in the White House shuffles off and we subsequently learn that Kim fae’ North Korea kakked it after his train from Russia back to Pyongyang took forty weeks to make the journey? Silence for both, or just auld’ Joe Biden? Say Billy Connolly goes, minute’s silence at Scottish fitba’ grounds?

I'd like a f*cking minute's f*cking swearing ya f*ckers when Billy goes

Edited by tamthebam

6 hours ago, microdave said:

There was a minute's silence at Boghead on the Saturday after the Dunblane massacre. Just as the referee blew to signal the start, an ice cream van in one of the neighbouring streets started its chime. A complete coincidence but it made it a bit more poignant given the ages of the victims.

When there was a minutes science for the (non football related) helicopter accident in Glagow (the Clutha bar or something?), we were at Ayr on the Saturday and during the silence all you could hear was the chirping of birds, faraway traffic on Whitlett's Road... and the music blaring from the radio in the burger van while the guy serving was shouting "you want onions on that, pal?" to a Pars fan who had ordered something just before the players lined up. Poignant scenes. 

My first memory of a minutes silence was in primary 2 or 3 and someone asked what is was all about, the teacher said that it was to remember the brave soldiers of WW1 and WW2 and that it was likely our grandparents were involved and we should think about their sacrifices so for the silence I would imagine my grandads cutting about the trenches lobbing grenades moving like Rambo. 

It was only when i grew up a bit that i found out neither of them had actually served as one was Irish and the other was medically incapacitated. Was very disappointed. 

Edited by RuMoore

23 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Trying to remember if they had one after 9/11 or not?

21 hours ago, SH Panda said:

Does anyone remember if there were remembrances held after 9/11?

Definitely.

Games were even postponed e.g. AEK Athens-Hibs (Thu 13th Sep 2001).

EDIT:

image.thumb.png.f80d43050bc1bab9dc8a757a760e67c4.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

When there was a minutes science for the (non football related) helicopter accident in Glagow (the Clutha bar or something?), we were at Ayr on the Saturday and during the silence all you could hear was the chirping of birds, faraway traffic on Whitlett's Road... and the music blaring from the radio in the burger van while the guy serving was shouting "you want onions on that, pal?" to a Pars fan who had ordered something just before the players lined up. Poignant scenes. 

I'm impressed Ayr had enough labcoats and safety goggles for all the players.

Edited by Rizzo

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Definitely.

Games were even postponed e.g. AEK Athens-Hibs (Thu 13th Sep 2001).

EDIT:

image.thumb.png.f80d43050bc1bab9dc8a757a760e67c4.png

In that case, given Libya is a lot closer to London than New York is, and the death toll is significantly higher in the Libyan flood (almost certainly at least 5x higher) then logically a minutes silence would seem appropriate. And 20 years of newspaper coverage too...

I can understand European games being cancelled as flights were affected for a very long time and we have been suffering ridiculous security since.

Those who committed the attack couldn't dream it would be as big of a success for them as it has been, they permanently changed air travel for the worse.

• 6 months later...
On 31/03/2024 at 09:18, Scary Bear said:

@velo army this is the thread you want. For those of our wonderful community who are not fans of minutes silences or minute applauses.

Thank you. I probably won't have said anything or even gone into the thread, but the title of the thread had that boy's name in it and that was what got my goat. People's grief when they lose a child is incalculable and for a cold childless oaf like me, unimaginable. I imagine that you just want the world to stop and acknowledge this massive loss you've just experienced, instead of continuing on its merry way. 

The OP wasn't one of the parents and wasn't clear on what connection he had with the family. Maybe they were close with them, but I simply assumed that they were one of those busybody type folk who try to get a'body else to clap for NHS workers or to shame others for not participating in the thing for charity. It felt like they were having an emotional response to something and didn't take the step back to consider that this was just their emotional response. It's ironically a little bit what I did. I had an emotional reaction to it and went with that without too much consideration. I shot from the hip a bit. It wasn't an unpopular position I took, judging from the follow up posts and amount of greenies I got (which was surprising, but revealing), but I could have been more circumspect about it.

I don't like when people try to use grief or any other feeling to manipulate others. "A young man has tragically lost his life" is something it is hard to stand against, but it's not right to impose your grief on an occasion shared by thousands of others. 

There is a counter to this which came to me today. In tribal societies how they often process grief is as a community. In some rituals they'll simply come into the centre of the village and everyone who has lost someone is invited to cry together. The grief for the one becomes the grief of and for the many. It's a beautiful idea and a powerful experience (I've done this also). The western model of therapist and patient can't heal this, we need embodied empathy and a connection to something outside of ourselves (in this case the collective grief of which ours is a part) and the belonging that comes with seeing others with the same experience as ourselves. 

I see that desire expressed through these minute's applauses, but as they're done without intention it feels hollow, insincere and manipulative. 

In the past I have actively avoided turning up early for some games if I know in advance there is a minutes silence. If I’m feeling low I don’t need that sort of stuff in my life. I go to the football to see my friends and to watch football, hopefully football that is decent to watch, rather than some of the awful kick and rush football that Scotland is famed for.

The clapping at a certain minute thing just leaves me confused. If you’re not in the know and people just start clapping, then you have that dilemma of whether to clap away, not even knowing what you’re clapping for, or whether to do nothing.

I can understand if it’s a prominent club official, player or some young fan who has died. It’s just that if a few of them die in a short space of time it can feel like you are attending funerals every other week. 

It’s a tricky subject.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

In the past I have actively avoided turning up early for some games if I know in advance there is a minutes silence. If I’m feeling low I don’t need that sort of stuff in my life. I go to the football to see my friends and to watch football, hopefully football that is decent to watch, rather than some of the awful kick and rush football that Scotland is famed for.

The clapping at a certain minute thing just leaves me confused. If you’re not in the know and people just start clapping, then you have that dilemma of whether to clap away, not even knowing what you’re clapping for, or whether to do nothing.

I can understand if it’s a prominent club official, player or some young fan who has died. It’s just that if a few of them die in a short space of time it can feel like you are attending funerals every other week. 

It’s a tricky subject.

You're over thinking it.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

In the past I have actively avoided turning up early for some games if I know in advance there is a minutes silence.

Did that with the Queen's death. Wouldn't have stood up for a minutes silence for her so decided to enter once it was done on the off chance someone had a go at me for staying seated. Not worththe agro.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Did that with the Queen's death. Wouldn't have stood up for a minutes silence for her so decided to enter once it was done on the off chance someone had a go at me for staying seated. Not worththe agro.

I would deliberately have gone in early and stayed sat on my arse in the hope someone tried to dig me up for it. 

I'm a bit of a dick like that though. 

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I would deliberately have gone in early and stayed sat on my arse in the hope someone tried to dig me up for it. 

I'm a bit of a dick like that though. 

I half thought about going to a game just to boo that. Dreadful.

6 hours ago, velo army said:

one of those busybody type folk who try to get a'body else to clap for NHS workers or to shame others for not participating in the thing for charity

Clap for Our Carers was created and promoted by the establishment. Its only in those cases, where you have a top-down mandate, that you get bootlickers trying to act as vigilante enforcers of the mandate. "Why you no clapping? It was on the news! The Prince and Princess were clapping! The prime minister was clapping! You've got tae clap!". When the bootlicker scolds you, his self-righteousness comes from the establishment backing he imagines himself to have.

This fundamentally contrasts with fans applauding during a football match because its a bottom-up gesture, created by the very folk doing it or at least from a group among them. That's never going to bring the same pressure to comply as a top-down mandate.

Compare fan-led applauses during matches with commemoration rituals (either a silence or an applause) before kick off. We definitely feel under more pressure to comply with the latter. That's because its a top-down mandate from the SPFL and normally its due to some political consideration of theirs.