Queens v Arbroath

Greenacres

Soccerway says this game is on the 13th (Friday) but I thought it was moved to the Saturday?

I'm an Arbroath fan who lives outwith Scotland but back in October and trying to get to as many games as I can. Is Dumfries worth staying over, decent pubs? Palmerston close to the town centre, and any decent hotels?

Aye, maybe should head to the travel section and start up a Dumfries travel thread, haha ; but its a part of the country I have never really been to. 

Cheers in advance! 

2 hours ago, Kejan said:

Soccerway says this game is on the 13th (Friday) but I thought it was moved to the Saturday?

I'm an Arbroath fan who lives outwith Scotland but back in October and trying to get to as many games as I can. Is Dumfries worth staying over, decent pubs? Palmerston close to the town centre, and any decent hotels?

Aye, maybe should head to the travel section and start up a Dumfries travel thread, haha ; but its a part of the country I have never really been to. 

Cheers in advance! 

Plenty of decent pubs. Dumfries is normally praised highly by opposition fans for a good away day tbh (the fact it's an easy place to pick up points might help that, mind you). The ground is about a 10/15 minute walk from the town centre depending on your mobility. Plenty of pubs close by so it's not a taxi or bus job at least. Can't really comment on the hotels as I've not stayed at any in the town. The Cairndale is probably the fanciest we have to offer in the town centre but I'd probably go for a BnB ahead of it. There's a Travelodge and a Premier Inn on the outskirts. Not that far out but it'd be a taxi job. Wouldn't cost a fortune though. 

If you're travelling by car it's actually a nice part of the country when you move further away from the town centre. Definitely worth a stay I'd say. 

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Plenty of decent pubs. Dumfries is normally praised highly by opposition fans for a good away day tbh (the fact it's an easy place to pick up points might help that, mind you). The ground is about a 10/15 minute walk from the town centre depending on your mobility. Plenty of pubs close by so it's not a taxi or bus job at least. Can't really comment on the hotels as I've not stayed at any in the town. The Cairndale is probably the fanciest we have to offer in the town centre but I'd probably go for a BnB ahead of it. There's a Travelodge and a Premier Inn on the outskirts. Not that far out but it'd be a taxi job. Wouldn't cost a fortune though. 

If you're travelling by car it's actually a nice part of the country when you move further away from the town centre. Definitely worth a stay I'd say. 

Thank you very much for the information, it's an area of the country I've never been so should be an interesting couple of days!

Appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ach well, a wee break from losing league games to probably losing in the Diddy Cup instead. A chance for Marvin to experiment with personnel and tactics (ok, no change there either I suppose) in the vain hope of progressing in this money spinner of a Competition. Queens players can maybe go into this game with a bit of confidence knowing they've been working hard in training on properly defending opposition throw-ins, whereas actually practicing stopping crosses coming in or how to put in decent tackles or how to pass to teammates obviously doesn't seem to be a priority. Arbroath will be a stiff test, hard working and high tempo, I doubt they'll stand off and allow our flair players (I'm sure we must have one anyway) the time and room to strut their stuff. I actually like the Diddy Cup, minus Colts, so am hoping that Arbroath aren't taking it too seriously to give us a chance of sneaking through.

34 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Seeing as I'm now trapped on the wrong side of the A83 landslides, is there any prospect of finding a live stream (paid or otherwise) of the game?

Unless Arbroath are doing something, which might not be  possible, I would say there's absolutely no chance of a live steam. Queens haven't done any live streams since crowd restrictions were lifted after Covid. 

28 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Would like to see Ali Adams get the start in goal tomorrow. Has impressed me in the limited playing time he has had this season. Possesses really good distribution as well as a commanding voice at the back 

You could play Rab Douglas in goals with one arm tied down, Dick Campbell at centre half and his brother as striker and I still wouldn't be confident of getting a win. 

Marvin struggling for a team again, injuries and players cup-tied. It would be just like it for us to sneak this game when it's league wins we need. 

7 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Depending on your view about League Cup penalty shoot-outs, if Queens lose this it will be their 7th defeat out of 8 home games in all competitions this season.

This go’s straight to penalties doesn’t it? 

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

It would be just like it for us to sneak this game when it's league wins we need. 

Yip, completely this.

Winning at Firhill in the last round represented an impressive result.  It just proves irritating when our league form's so hopeless though.

19 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Can’t really get excited about any games in this cup. If we get through and maybe land a favourable draw ill Start to get a wee interested.

What to put yourself in our boots?

The few of use that do turn up today will probably witness us lose 5(five) on the trot!

Edited by bod