Halal restuarants

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Wondered when the racism card would be played, pathetic.

TBF you are on record as being heavily into animal welfare on here so I think you should be given the benefit of the doubt. 

The fact you are extremely right wing is just an unfortunate coincidence.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

TBF you are on record as being heavily into animal welfare on here so I think you should be given the benefit of the doubt. 

The fact you are extremely right wing is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Is Kosher and Halal not a similar process? I'm sure when folk from South Asia and of South Asian descent moved to the UK they used Jewish butchers? 

Halal’s a bit more detailed in the exact places to make the cuts, but it’s the same process of cutting arteries and making sure all the blood’s drained. Most imams are fine with Muslims eating kosher meat if halal isn’t available. 

A bit off topic, but when I lived in Aberdeen I occasionally used to visit an Asian shop on King St who had a wee butchery counter at the back. Their chicken breasts were not much more expensive than Morrison's BUT they were far superior 'quality' - didn't give up loads of water and shrivel up during cooking presumably cos they were pumped full of antibiotics. 

19 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Said people need to give themselves a shake. If you eat meat, you don't give a crap how the animal died, how it was reared yes but that's purely for flavour and less intake of additives etc. To say one form of slaughter is worse than another is blatant hypocrisy. 

I know Sarge is the master of deadpan humour but he is spot on here. You either eat meat or you don't. There's no halfway.

Of course some people care about how the animal was slaughtered. To think otherwise is a bit silly imo.

18 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Let's be honest here, i'd happily wager my mortgage that the majority of those who complain about halal meat couldn't give a rat's ass about how the animal is killed.

It's nothing more than an excuse for little Englander types to have a go at Muslims etc in a way that won't see them labelled a racist.

Seriously why is it English people you mention. I know a lot of Scottish people that will not eat halal meat. Are they racist against Muslims?

Just another excuse to have a go at the English imo. 

26 minutes ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

Seriously why is it English people you mention.

Is "little Scotlander types" a known and well used stereotype? It's perfectly clear what I meant.

27 minutes ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

I know a lot of Scottish people that will not eat halal meat. Are they racist against Muslims?

The majority of them probably are, yes.

13 minutes ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

I disagree mate. Just because you do not want to eat halal meat makes you racist against Muslims. That is just madness imo.

I would be prepared to bet that the majority of people who have a problem with halal meat do not know the difference between that and non-halal meat.

The reality is that if you’re eating meat at all (and I do, so I’m aware of my own hypocrisy) then you’re alright with animals suffering. Drawing an arbitrary line in how much suffering is ok right between you and the Muslims seems incredibly suspect to me, but you do you. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I would be prepared to bet that the majority of people who have a problem with halal meat do not know the difference between that and non-halal meat.

The reality is that if you’re eating meat at all (and I do, so I’m aware of my own hypocrisy) then you’re alright with animals suffering. Drawing an arbitrary line in how much suffering is ok right between you and the Muslims seems incredibly suspect to me, but you do you. 

Totally agree with your first sentence.

The second one the first bit absolutely the second bit I do not. No doubt there will be some racists but you certainly cannot lump everyone that will not eat halal into that group. I know that for a fact.

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, my guilt is over how animals are treated during their lives, not the toss up between whether a sharp blade or a stun gun is kinder during their last seconds.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

Totally agree with your first sentence.

The second one the first bit absolutely the second bit I do not. No doubt there will be some racists but you certainly cannot lump everyone that will not eat halal into that group. I know that for a fact.

Have you conducted some kind of survey to establish this fact? 

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, my guilt is over how animals are treated during their lives, not the toss up between whether a sharp blade or a stun gun is kinder during their last seconds.

My guilt is over after the first bite, usually.

44 minutes ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

Spell it out please mate. 

I think I have pretty clearly

4 minutes ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

No but I do know people that will not eat halal meat and they are not racists. And that is a fact so to lump everyone in the same group is just wrong.

No-one is lumping them all into the same group, though.

Most ≠ all

@Bigmouth Strikes Again is an example of someone who does not fall into that category. But they will absolutely be in the minority.