Euro 2028

20 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Looks like British Isles will host tournament, after Turkey withdrawn from bid.

Anyone planning to go? I quite fancy Belfast, as never been to Northern Ireland. 

Looks like Casement Park needs a fair bit of work though.

Villa Park would be nice and handy too.

The 2007 Rugby World Cup was in France with a few games in Cardiff and Edinburgh. This is exactly what this is for England

Would far prefer England to host on their own rather than this patronising tokenism of desperately including other "wee nations" 

Can just see the awful marketing with butchers aprons everywhere. 

Don't even think the deal includes any significant upgrade to Hampden (maybe some new napkins in Corporate?)

7 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Would far prefer England to host on their own rather than this patronising tokenism of desperately including other "wee nations" 

Can just see the awful marketing with butchers aprons everywhere. 

Don't even think the deal includes any significant upgrade to Hampden (maybe some new napkins in Corporate?)

Think going forward, European championships will often have one major host (England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany or Russia) and one or more co-hosts from neighbouring countries or even further afield ones. With the size of the tournament now even a coalition of 4-5 smaller countries won’t be able to host the tournament. I reckon 2036 might be a whole continent effort again. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

England are not taking automatic qualification but instead will compete to qualify. 

I am imagining the scenes should England fail to qualify and still have to host most of it. 

They will get one of the 2 guaranteed spots set aside.

On 07/02/2022 at 12:30, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I'd like to see the stadium proposals, but my initial thought is that it's going to end up with England hosting the vast majority including both semis and the final, with Glasgow, Cardiff and Dublin getting 3 group games and a token last 16 match.

Wasn't too far off.

49 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

There was no demand or need for it. 

I'm not sure there's ever not "a need" or "demand" for a multinational football tournament in our country which can literally keep business' doors open off the back of it.