Steins vs Greig Park Rangers

Annbank vs Shortlees

Drumchapel Utd vs Garrowhill Thistle

Glenburn vs Gartcosh

Cowie or Sandys vs Mauchline

Doune vs Cupar Hearts

Greenock HSFP vs Castlemilk

Giffnock or Balgonie Scotia vs Wishaw Wycombe

Annbank-Shortlees & Glenburn-Gartcosh the pick of the bunch for me. Most ties are fairly open and unpredictable, with the exception of Drumchapel Utd being strong favourites in theirs, and whoever ends up playing Mauchline being favourites in theirs.

Looking forward to watching the Castle at home to Cupar.  Hopefully the weather holds up so it can be played at Moray Park instead of moving to an astro outside of the village.  Probably get a pretty decent crowd for it if it's played in Doune.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/02/2024 at 09:37, AllanJM said:

Looking forward to watching the Castle at home to Cupar.  Hopefully the weather holds up so it can be played at Moray Park instead of moving to an astro outside of the village.  Probably get a pretty decent crowd for it if it's played in Doune.

Grew up in Cupar and lived there for 17 years, good mates with a lot of the boys, they’ve got a strong team. Great result for them up there yesterday. 

51 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Grew up in Cupar and lived there for 17 years, good mates with a lot of the boys, they’ve got a strong team. Great result for them up there yesterday. 

Decided to take this game in. Cupar the better team first half but not much in it. Doune missed a chance early on before Cupar came into it and had a few chances but was 0-0 at HT. Second half Cupar started brighter and scored a controversial goal. I’d say 9 times out 10 at least the foul is given on the keeper with the opposition player challenging for a high ball. After that it was one way traffic with the Cupar no.9 scoring a great hat trick. Overall I’d say Cupar looked a better, fitter team but I would never have thought it would be 5-0 at HT. 

So we have following Leagues Teams through to the last 8 of The Saturday Scottish Cup 

2 SPAL Teams

2 KOFAFA Teams

1 AYRSHIRE Team [ guaranteed one from the replays ]

1 LEAFA Team

And 4 teams awating replays

2 From Ayrshire 

1 From GGPL 

1 From the last remaining Saturday Morning League

Interesting and not surprising that they are none from The Cally again 😀 🎣

21 hours ago, LoveFitbaw said:

Decided to take this game in. Cupar the better team first half but not much in it. Doune missed a chance early on before Cupar came into it and had a few chances but was 0-0 at HT. Second half Cupar started brighter and scored a controversial goal. I’d say 9 times out 10 at least the foul is given on the keeper with the opposition player challenging for a high ball. After that it was one way traffic with the Cupar no.9 scoring a great hat trick. Overall I’d say Cupar looked a better, fitter team but I would never have thought it would be 5-0 at HT. 

took it in also, for me the first goal is 100% a foul, does it change the tone and how it goes the rest of the game? Who knows, but as you say was all Cupar the second half. Striker scored and absolute worldie and then rinsed the defence and cooly slotted by the goalie for another. Can see why he’s in the Scotland squad. Didn’t see that scoreline happening at 0-0 HT but it was thoroughly deserved on the second half performance 

Interesting draw for the QF’s and SF’s.

Semi Final ties likely to be Shortlees v Sandys and Steins v Cupar in my opinion. 

Tough to pick a winner from that 4 but going to plump for a Shortlees v Cupar final.

Cupar got to be favourites to retain after their dismantling of a very good side in Doune at the weekend.

Edited by Basile Boli

22 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

So we have following Leagues Teams through to the last 8 of The Saturday Scottish Cup 

2 SPAL Teams

2 KOFAFA Teams

1 AYRSHIRE Team [ guaranteed one from the replays ]

1 LEAFA Team

And 4 teams awating replays

2 From Ayrshire 

1 From GGPL 

1 From the last remaining Saturday Morning League

Interesting and not surprising that they are none from The Cally again 😀 🎣

I presume that’s in jest at the comment I made a few weeks ago. A lot of time for that, because it clearly annoyed you. I couldn’t care less if there were any Caley teams left but if you’ve got a hardon for SPAFA, it won’t be for much longer as SPAFA will be lucky to be in existence next year at this rate…🎣 etc, etc.

Strangely fancy Garrowhill to cause an upset against Drumchapel Utd. As far as I understand, they gave a very good account of themselves and were unlucky not to win the game outright. 

As for a winner… I fancy an Ayrshire or Cupar to retain. 

Edited by Brad Bobley

On 03/03/2024 at 21:36, LoveFitbaw said:

Look at the video of the first goal. Keeper made a total hash of it. He was jumping against Boylan the smallest player in a Hertz jersey who actually turned his back because he misjudged the flight of the ball and it skelped the back of his heid. So did the goalie missjudge it and he missed everything. I actually think one major reason for the Doune capitulation in the second half was that every single one of their back 5 (including the goalie) was on a booking by the end and couldn't put in any tough tackling in the second half or they wid have seen red. The ref was actually one of the best I've seen in ammie fitba for a long time. Took nae nonsense from the players, dished out cards when deserved and didn't bottle any decisions- for both sides. 

1 hour ago, dugman said:

Look at the video of the first goal. Keeper made a total hash of it. He was jumping against Boylan the smallest player in a Hertz jersey who actually turned his back because he misjudged the flight of the ball and it skelped the back of his heid. So did the goalie missjudge it and he missed everything. I actually think one major reason for the Doune capitulation in the second half was that every single one of their back 5 (including the goalie) was on a booking by the end and couldn't put in any tough tackling in the second half or they wid have seen red. The ref was actually one of the best I've seen in ammie fitba for a long time. Took nae nonsense from the players, dished out cards when deserved and didn't bottle any decisions- for both sides. 

I’ve not seen any videos of the game. Are they online? 

On 05/03/2024 at 07:09, dugman said:

No wonder mate, see the size of him? Wouldn’t argue with a photo of him 😂😂

On 05/03/2024 at 06:57, Brad Bobley said:

I presume that’s in jest at the comment I made a few weeks ago. A lot of time for that, because it clearly annoyed you. I couldn’t care less if there were any Caley teams left but if you’ve got a hardon for SPAFA, it won’t be for much longer as SPAFA will be lucky to be in existence next year at this rate…🎣 etc, etc.

Strangely fancy Garrowhill to cause an upset against Drumchapel Utd. As far as I understand, they gave a very good account of themselves and were unlucky not to win the game outright. 

As for a winner… I fancy an Ayrshire or Cupar to retain. 

SPAFA are apparently in talks with the Stirling league to merge hoping to take on board there teams 

2 hours ago, PB1234 said:

SPAFA are apparently in talks with the Stirling league to merge hoping to take on board there teams 

There flogging a dead horse with that 1, the Stirling and district league has only been keeping its head above water for years now and I cant see the teams in that league keen on a move or are they going to raise the standard.

Its a real shame the Central and Caley couldnt come together and settle there differences to merge last year, its now become a case of the teams doing it off there own back and it seems the Caley league will be the main beneficiaries of this in the long run.

Unfortunately the SPAFA merge hasnt really worked and itll be interesting if anymore teams make roads to move leagues as im not too sure theyll be overly excited by the possibilty of a S&D influx. 

13 minutes ago, Redondo said:

There flogging a dead horse with that 1, the Stirling and district league has only been keeping its head above water for years now and I cant see the teams in that league keen on a move or are they going to raise the standard.

Its a real shame the Central and Caley couldnt come together and settle there differences to merge last year, its now become a case of the teams doing it off there own back and it seems the Caley league will be the main beneficiaries of this in the long run.

Unfortunately the SPAFA merge hasnt really worked and itll be interesting if anymore teams make roads to move leagues as im not too sure theyll be overly excited by the possibilty of a S&D influx. 

At the risk of going off topic here, but I agree with most of that. Flogging a dead horse is a good way to put that.

I wonder if there’s a correlation between the two remaining SPAFA teams in the Scottish Cup and the opposition they’ve been up against this season. I’d say there probably is. Two undoubtedly extremely strong teams but not having too many ‘tough’ games throughout the course of the season has certainly worked in their favour when contrasted with the other big hitters (St Pat’s, Bannockburn, Gartcosh, Castlemilk, et al.) all playing each other fairly regularly.

Due to the restructure/merge, Greenock HSFP and Steins have unfortunately found themselves in an extremely boring and turgid league. I hope the prospects get better for SPAFA but unfortunately have a feeling this season is the beginning of the end of anything meaningful.

I'm not exactly clued up on amateur football but seems a bit of an odd merger from the outside looking in. Surely any team from the S&D who wanted to play at a higher standard with the added traveling would've done so already?

Edited by GNU_Linux

17 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'm not exactly clued up on amateur football but seems a bit of an odd merger from the outside looking in. Surely any team from the S&D who wanted to play at a higher standard with the added traveling would've done so already?

You have hit the nail on the head there and any who wanted to would likely opt for the Caley now for obvious reasons.

Hard to see the S&D still existing in a few years based on current numbers. They even have a Fife club in the league now. So many clubs based in their area now play in the Caley. Merger with the SP seems a bit strange but I guess both leagues are desperate for new clubs.

Edited by stanley