The Reckoning

Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

You'd probably never let them leave the house again.

Nah. Not at all. Actively encourage them to live their lives to the full. 

I just couldn’t sit and watch this any longer. I still find it incredible that this evil individual got away with these crimes for so long.

Coogan from the brief part I watched captured him very well. Just not the sort of drama I personally want to watch. Sorry. 

I think what’s useful about this drama is that it really shows how he did get away with it for so long.

How people were happy to take what he said at face value and not dig about. How someone can have a side of them you just don’t see but those who knew and liked him would happily stand up for him and defend him. How people who are useful to others, get protected no matter what, because they are useful and folk will preserve that. 

Binged on all 4 episodes last night. Coogan is scarily brilliant in his portrayal of Savile. Didn't tell me anything I already knew - I read the book it was based on a few years back, In Plain Truth - but the fact that those who knew said nothing is the biggest hurt, other than what the victims went/are going through.  Just like Hillsborough, there will be some sort of judicial review in 20 years time where most of those concerned will be dead or borderline so.

Coogan should win awards for this. 

If you want a documentary, the one on Netflix is excellent. Covers other things, like the then Prince Charles passing his speeches by Savile for comments. The doc really covers how he weaved his way into politicians and royalty. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Coogan should win awards for this. 

If you want a documentary, the one on Netflix is excellent. Covers other things, like the then Prince Charles passing his speeches by Savile for comments. The doc really covers how he weaved his way into politicians and royalty. 

One thing I don't think The Reckoning gets across so well although i've only seen 2, is how big and famous Savile got. It's akey part of how he got away with what he did but I don't think they really convey the gravity of his fame that well.... So far at least. 

Edited by Bairnardo

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

One thing I don't think The Reckoning gets across so well although i've only seen 2, is how big and famous Savile got. It's akey part of how he got away with what he did but I don't think they really convey the gravity of his fame that well.... So far at least. 

Spoiler

Gets covered in 3

As everyone else has said- fantastic acting performance. Only let down was the scale of the cover up and blind eye from BBC and institutions wasn’t analysed in detail in the documentary. BBC probably think they can put this nasty business in the past now. 

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel

Coogan is also really good at playing real life characters - he’s done Tony Wilson, Paul Raymond, Martin Sixsmith, he played one of the police officers who was involved in the Steven Lawrence investigation.

most of those people are positive characters, Savile was clearly almost subhuman. It must be very difficult to play, Coogan does a great job.

I’m almost finished it and it’s fascinating. Don’t know if I’ll watch it again though, such tough subject matter, very well handled.

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

A very hard watch but hugely enjoyable. Have to echo others and say Coogan was excellent, I don't think anyone could have took a role like that and make it their own 

Might be a personal thing, but I'd love to see William Shatner's take on it. 

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Coogan is also really good at playing real life characters - he’s done Tony Wilson, Paul Raymond, Martin Sixsmith, he played one of the police officers who was involved in the Steven Lawrence investigation.

He was outstanding as Stan Laurel.

On 14/10/2023 at 18:39, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

As everyone else has said- fantastic acting performance. Only let down was the scale of the cover up and blind eye from BBC and institutions wasn’t analysed in detail in the documentary. BBC probably think they can put this nasty business in the past now. 

Aye this. Was quietly seething throughout the whole show with BBC (I think mainly because they're getting ratings from something they absolutely covered up in the first place. Something quite off about that) but at the end when they said they shelved a documentary with victim testimony, that really set me off. A complete shower. 

Another very good performance from Coogan. It'll be interesting to hear how he addresses it when he collects his awards. Had no idea he had the keys to Broadmoor. He was before my time and I never knew much about the c**t but that was something I had no knowledge of at all. What the f**k were people thinking?! 

I think he was very lucky he died when he did. I think, given the way women are finally being listened to now, had he lived another few years folk would have been more likely to come forward.* It must be particularly hard for survivors living with the fact he got away with it. 

I'm an atheist but watching it part of me was hoping there really is a heaven and hell and he truly believed it (I'm not convinced that wasn't another cover) and he's suffering in Hell. 

* ETA. Not to disrespect the victims - clearly there were loads who had the courage to come forward who were shot down. I meant more that nowadays things like that aren't so easily swept under the carpet. 

Edited by 19QOS19

Binged it this afternoon. Grim stuff. Amazing acting from Coogan, special mention to Siobhan Finneran as well. I think I agree with others. Really should have been on ITV, Channel 4, Netflix etc. BBC too involved and too guilty

On 22/10/2023 at 20:21, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Binged it this afternoon. Grim stuff. Amazing acting from Coogan, special mention to Siobhan Finneran as well. I think I agree with others. Really should have been on ITV, Channel 4, Netflix etc. BBC too involved and too guilty

I think I read that iTV were involved in production of it but BBC showed it. Not sure. Still think the roles of royals and BBC were maybe sanitised a fair bit.

7 hours ago, RH33 said:

I think I read that iTV were involved in production of it but BBC showed it. Not sure. Still think the roles of royals and BBC were maybe sanitised a fair bit.

Yeah, it was an ITV production.

9 hours ago, RH33 said:

Much of it was understated, but I don’t think the BBC as an institution or as individuals came out of it at all well.