Dunfermline vs Ayr - Sat 21st Oct

Was planning on taking the weans to this but now doubtful - Saturday's at 3pm are always better than re-arranged evening games for us parents. Ah well, the delights of Dunfermline will have to wait a bit longer. 

6 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

One of my favourite away days. We took the lead, you equalised before HT, then we go down to 10 men but went on to score. Sure we won twice down at Somerset in a matter of weeks, Scottish Cup then league. Ayr never recovered and Peterhead ended up being out biggest challenge. 

There was quite a bit of needle between the players that season. Started off with Ayr winning at East End in the September, couple of bag tackles and a season ending injury then it carried on from there. The games mentioned above in November/December were good but the game later in the season when El Bak scored that overhead kick was class.

I remember going to a Norrie McCathie tribute night at Carneige Hall around December time and Ian McCall was one of the guests, he got roasted as had been in the press talking up how Ayr were the better team, better players etc.

Pretty sure it all started over the Craig Moore challenge on your CB which wasn't actually a bad challenge but the way the CB's leg was placed it snapped completely backwards. What really kicked it off is the fact we played on for about 30 seconds after it which tbf the ref never stopped the game, pretty sure it was a couple of our players who got the attention of the lino

2 hours ago, Rb123 said:

Pretty sure it all started over the Craig Moore challenge on your CB which wasn't actually a bad challenge but the way the CB's leg was placed it snapped completely backwards. What really kicked it off is the fact we played on for about 30 seconds after it which tbf the ref never stopped the game, pretty sure it was a couple of our players who got the attention of the lino

Was a scissor tackle from behind no?

14 hours ago, Rb123 said:

From what I remember, and the memory has a tendency to be very biased! It wasn't a good tackle. Robs description of it being a scissor tackle is how I remember it. 

Someone earlier had said about not many Ayr players from that side getting into the Dunfermline side, but I was a big fan of Ross Doherty that season, from what I remember he got injured and that seemed a big contributor to Ayr falling away a bit. 

22 hours ago, 101 said:

I don't know if it's possible but it's to have calmed down on Sunday so why not change it now, to Sunday at 3pm, rather than wait for it to be called off and then look to reschedule it later in the season.

Feel like this is one of those that's more complicated than it sounds (e.g. changing security/police/hospitality staff shifts at short notice), but if it's possible would definitely seem like a good idea. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

In general, Dunfermline were absolutely heads gone after that game so I imagine that may be clouding the memory somewhat.. 👀

I wasn't a poster here at the time, but I remember reading it both on p&b and elsewhere online. One of the best collective heads gone I've seen. Was incredible stuff.

Fwiw, Ayr posters have a tendency to be some of the most heads gone on here. As I'm sure we were when the Pars routinely pumped us for the rest of the season from that point on.

It’s the first league game we will be going in to with a collective expectation to get some sort of result.  After a stinking start, in recent weeks we have looked more of a capable championship team than we have since this time last year. 
Dunfermline have been a mixed bag in terms of results and we been boom or bust while constantly gifting goals.

We need to score two to have a chance of winning games at the moment. 

Ayr haven’t drawn in the league yet, 1-1 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

It’s the first league game we will be going in to with a collective expectation to get some sort of result.  After a stinking start, in recent weeks we have looked more of a capable championship team than we have since this time last year. 
Dunfermline have been a mixed bag in terms of results and we been boom or bust while constantly gifting goals.

We need to score two to have a chance of winning games at the moment. 

Ayr haven’t drawn in the league yet, 1-1 

Our mixed bag is largely down to injuries. Don't think we had a senior player on the bench vs Partick. Should have a few back for this if it's on, but still missing our two most exciting players from last season. 

From the limited stuff I've seen (the Partick game on TV and some highlights), Ayr haven't looked like world beaters. Looking forward to seeing Logan Chalmers as he seems to be a player. 

I suspect we’ll both be scrapping around mid table come April so 1-1 wouldn't surprise me. 

11 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Our mixed bag is largely down to injuries. Don't think we had a senior player on the bench vs Partick. Should have a few back for this if it's on, but still missing our two most exciting players from last season. 

From the limited stuff I've seen (the Partick game on TV and some highlights), Ayr haven't looked like world beaters. Looking forward to seeing Logan Chalmers as he seems to be a player. 

I suspect we’ll both be scrapping around mid table come April so 1-1 wouldn't surprise me. 

The Thistle game was one of the low points, it was followed up by a game against Falkirk where Bullen made about 6 changes to formation and made 5 subs and we still didn’t manage in to the Falkirk box. 

We lost 3 first choice midfielders in the first week of the season and a fourth the week after and added a (so far) dud forward along side two who will barely hit double figures between them this season.

The loan midfielders getting up to speed, Murphy coming back in and Dowds and Chalmers joining have made us look like a team capable of scoring goals. Unfortunately we concede them just as easy. 

22 hours ago, HoBNob said:

From what I remember, and the memory has a tendency to be very biased! It wasn't a good tackle. Robs description of it being a scissor tackle is how I remember it. 

Someone earlier had said about not many Ayr players from that side getting into the Dunfermline side, but I was a big fan of Ross Doherty that season, from what I remember he got injured and that seemed a big contributor to Ayr falling away a bit. 

It was a foul but it wasn’t a bad challenge from memory. Moore went through the back of him but it was more the way Fordyce landed that fucked him. I think his foot and leg ended up going over the ball. It looked horrendous but it was more bad luck than anything as it’s the type of tackle you see from strikers often enough. 

There were far heftier challenges put in by Devlin and Adams. Adams was throwing elbows about all over the place as well. 

Just had a look back and it's not as bad as I remember but it's still pretty bad, comes in with a scissor motion and doesn't get the ball. Scissor challenges can be dangerous for this specific reason, Fordyce gets his legs trapped by the Ayr striker. One of those that I'm not surprised the ref doesn't give a red, but if that happens with VAR you're getting the bad news. You can see the bottom part of Fordyces leg wobbling after the challenge which is a bit graphic. I'd forgotten all about Preston aswell. 

On another note the extended absence from the team made fans think Fordyce was a far, far better than what he actually was from memory, by the time he was about to come back you'd have thought we were about to see Baresi strutting about, rather than the league one level player he actually was.