France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

Not really a fair comparison giving someone a shot in a second string side (never mind the fact its against the best side in the world) . We know exactly what we get from all of these guys with the exception of Ferguson probably. McLean and Kelly are purely reward picks, nothing more. That said, if that's what Clarke values over giving a full strength team a crack, he's earned the right to make that call. Also protects us from any perceived "impact on momentum" to some extent. 

17 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Isn’t this the internal equivalent of what Wenger did in the League Cup?  Surely you learn a limited amount by playing irregularly used players against a side that will dominate us?

Does that tell us anything about how suited they are for Georgia/Norway, and then the likely opponents in March/June/July?

I am utterly bemused and equally terrified by this.

When would you suggest these guys are played? 

10 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

When would you suggest these guys are played? 

Not all in a single game against what is probably the best team in the world?

If we’re being quite fair, we’ve not done this since at least before the last Euros, so I’m unsure why we’d do it now.  Perhaps the above was an over-reaction, but I was always against this fixture for exactly this reason.  I’m not sure we can learn much from this.

12 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

:blink:

Anyway.. 3 CB's and 4 CM's on the park :lol: 

I'm actually pretty excited after seeing their lineup. Could be pretty hilarious either way.

It’ll be the same system we’ve played all through qualifying. I imagine Mctominay and Ferguson will be the two more advanced midfielders and Gilmour and Mclean deeper.  

Kenny McLean is a quality and very experienced player. He’s got 512 career appearances and 60 goals at club level. 30 caps and 2 goals for Scotland, including the winner in Norway.

McGregor is playing twice a week for his club as they’re playing in Europe. 

The game is a friendly. Playing McLean tonight is a no brainer! 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

1 minute ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Looking forward to McLean again scoring the winner. 8) 

Indeed. 

He’s McGregor’s deputy. If McGregor were to get injured between now and the finals, or in the finals, it’s likely McLean who will replace him.

Makes complete sense to play him tonight