France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What do you mean "Great"?

Great as in Catherine the Great?  Great as in The Great War?

I think you've picked the wrong word there...

For Richey's Post I thought that "great" was perfect. For your post I feel that "grates" is perfect. 

Some of the reactions on here are a bit OTT. We have likely played both the finalists for the Euros (should they not meet earlier) and competed well in large parts of both games, whilst trying to play football. I’d be surprised if we’d be looking to play that way were it a competitive game. 

Lille is a lovely city and I am hungover as f**k. 

7 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’d be surprised if we’d be looking to play that way were it a competitive game. 

I think in the longer term we are trying to improve to a level where we can play at least in parts of a game against a pot-1 team in that way. That's the improvement we are trying to make - not just accepting it will always have to be a backs to the wall job. It's an exciting prospect.

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think in the longer term we are trying to improve to a level where we can play at least in parts of a game against a pot-1 team in that way. That's the improvement we are trying to make - not just accepting it will always have to be a backs to the wall job. It's an exciting prospect.

Yeah that’s fair. I’ve no doubt that we’ll get there either. 

28 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

As someone said ...

Funny, watching the highlights brought back memories of Alan Rough standard goalkeeping

Been a long time since that’s been our weak link

Thank god we got Angus Gunn to commit

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

Funny, watching the highlights brought back memories of Alan Rough standard goalkeeping

Been a long time since that’s been our weak link

Thank god we got Angus Gunn to commit

It still can’t believe Alan Rough was the best we had back then. Angus Gunn will learn from this. He’s only really been tested 3 times, and that’s against 3 of the best teams in the world. Spain, England and France. 

2 hours ago, SteelyDosser said:

Always wonder why so many invest so much into friendlies. Just like England after the Cyprus game I'm certain most players would have their thoughts on their next club game. 
That's going to mean self preservation and not going in 100% on tackles, and quite rightly so.

I would have thought some of the " B team " players would have wanted to impress SSC

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Some of the reactions on here are a bit OTT. We have likely played both the finalists for the Euros (should they not meet earlier) and competed well in large parts of both games, whilst trying to play football. I’d be surprised if we’d be looking to play that way were it a competitive game. 

Lille is a lovely city and I am hungover as f**k. 

Some of our defenders still cannot defend !

13 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Oh dear, Everyone seems kind of on a downer after the game tonight which is hilarious given that I watched it pretty much in isolation and was expecting a more positive response on the boards tonight. Is it just because we lost by a 3-goal margin? What were people expecting? France are an incredible team.

The way I look at it is that you have to go through the pain of difficult games in order to get better, it's part of the process whether that be tonight or having a disappointing Euros last time round. This will help us in the long run. That's the bottom line for me with this game.

With regards to the defence I thought the difficult games were getting cuffed by Belgium and Russia

16 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

With regards to the defence I thought the difficult games were getting cuffed by Belgium and Russia

That was slightly different in my view. That was a period where Steve Clarke was trying to understand what we had available to us.

I think the construction of the current team began after the Covid-19 break during which the idea was formed, but was refined after we qualified for Euro 2020 through the course of our 2022 WCQ group beginning with the 2-2 home game against Austria in Mar-21. It was a period where we were trying variations in personnel and tweaks in shape that can still be seen today.

We have reached a point in our evolution where we recognize the need to be a able to compete when on the ball against pot1 teams instead of just relying on backs to the wall jobs and that's a big step for us as a team. This is more of a voluntary step, to take risks and open up - back then it wasn't.

Edited by 2426255

I also think there are aspects that are difficult to quantify when it comes to defending our box just watching on TV. The speed and accuracy of the French set piece delivery (Griezmann). The physical strength and intelligence/know how of the French players (Giroud).

1 hour ago, Stardog_champion said:

It still can’t believe Alan Rough was the best we had back then. 

He wasn’t.

Scots keepers playing in England were largely overlooked (as indeed were outfield players) in favour of Rough.

David Harvey was part of the great Leeds sides of the early 70s. He was Scotland’s keeper at the 1974 WC Finals and voted keeper of the tournament. He was injured in a car crash in 1975 and was never picked for Scotland again - despite going to make 130 appearances for Leeds in the top flight (and this covered the 78 WC finals where he was only aged 30 and Rough was a disaster).

Jim Blyth was 23 at the 78 WC Finals and was second choice behind Rough. He was part of a quality top flight Coventry side, so much so that Man United tried to sign him for a then world record transfer fee for a keeper in 1979. It fell through when he failed a medical due to a suspect back. He made 151 top flight appearances for Coventry before transferring to Birmingham City where he suffered a bad injury, fracturing his firearm in 3 places which would eventually curtail his career. Only capoed twice.

George Wood, 103 appearances for Everton, 60 for Arsenal, 192 for Crystal Palace. Only capped 4 times and went to the 82 WC Finals as a back up keeper. Would have been 26 at the 78 WC Finals (Rough was 27). Wood was a regular at Everton then but wasn’t even in the squad.

As I say though, it wasn’t just keepers. Strikers like Andy Gray and Ian Wallace, at their peak and scoring regularly in England’s top flight were ignored in favour of ageing home based strikers like Joe Harper and Derek Johnstone.

Alan Hansen was ignored for the squad despite winning the European Cup with Liverpool. Tam Forsyth was a starter

John McGovern, league and European Cup winning captain at Nottingham Forest won zero caps. 

Edited by Captain_Sensible