France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Like the England game at Hampden proved, we're absolutely light years off the elite teams.

Even with a full strength team out I fail to see how we can come up with a plan to compete against these teams.

For Scottish fans of a certain age it's quite sad that we're so far behind these teams.

Certain age being about 70.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

We're due Germany again.

We played Netherlands in our first 2 Euros, England in the most recent 2, and we've only played Germany once. Depending on who qualifies, I'd imagine it will be some combination from Germany, Croatia, Switzerland, Czechia and a former member of the CIS.

I know they've upped the Finals to a ridiculous number of participants, but they're letting Insurance companies join UEFA noo?

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Like the England game at Hampden proved, we're absolutely light years off the elite teams.

Even with a full strength team out I fail to see how we can come up with a plan to compete against these teams.

For Scottish fans of a certain age it's quite sad that we're so far behind these teams.

The money the English and French FAs pump into their academies is obscene. Amounts the SFA could only dream of. 

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

The thing is we’re not the only ones. I said it before but even Spain are miles behind France and England.

Three in a row against Europe's top sides will help us.

Clarke now knows - if he didn't already - what we'll be up against. Part of me wishes we played a minnow at home solely so tonight would just be 'Euro 2024 Partyyyy' but from a more sensible standpoint - the big tests are what we need.

A solid performance when on the ball, but a strong showing of how weak our defense is when we rotate it.

Jacob Brown looked good, and - for what he was up against - I thought Ferguson was alright.

Onwards and upwards.

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Maybe playing (arguably) the 3 best teams in Europe in a row wasn’t the best idea?

We've got a European finals tournament and a Nations League group A campaign next year. We're going to be playing games against top-level teams whether we like it or not (possibly even against one or more of England, Spain and France) so we might as well try to rack up some relatively risk-free experience while we can.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

1 minute ago, Desp said:

What would the point in that be? 

Playing France away, on the back of playing England & Spain, tells us what? 

The manager chucking out a B team side speaks volumes. 

So there's no point in playing world class teams and there's no point in playing diddys. Of course it was good to see us playing against the best teams in the tournament that we're going to be in next year. I thought we did reasonably well in spells tonight and tells us that we won't be steamrollered. 

Just now, eez-eh said:

The thing is we’re not the only ones. I said it before but even Spain are miles behind France and England.

The whole of Europe is. France and England B teams would beat almost everyone in Europe.

Perhaps the Portuguese would have an argument, but the days of household names filling up Belgium, Italy, Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands seem in the rear view right now.

It’s probably a case of coincidental rebuilding, but they’re all miles off the best sides they’ve had in the last 10-20 years. 

Can never get over the negativity of some folk. 

We've done it where it matters, got the cigars out in qualifying and sent the b team out for a horsing against the best team on the planet

Who gives a flying f**k about the result or performance

Edited by MarkoRaj

15 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

brown looks no bad though , he been getting much game time at Luton? 

Rarely gets a full game so far, don't think he's had a goal or assist yet. But expect he'll get chances.

Don't think anyone disgraced themself. Taylor shower why he's 4th choice, cooper was a bit off it and Patterson got slaughtered at times.

Thought Ferguson looked good, pressed well and clever enough to avoid a booking for breaking up attacks. Looks like he can play anywhere across the midfield which is good for us. Brown looked lively and we had some nice link ups at times.

Aside from that it's good experience for these boys. Gives Clark something to work on when we have similar fixtures in the NL or Euros proper  

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What damage has it done exactly?

The overreaction is actually embarrassing. Neither Clarke nor the players will be impacted one bit by tonight where we played a more or less full strength French team with about 2 of our first 11. And still competed ok for spells. We are moving in the right direction but as always some just canny be content. Hilarious.