France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

Love seeing players absolutely buzzing to play for Scotland Liam Kelly 👏

Excellent.

I know you shouldn't just cap players, but its been incredibly harsh he's only winning his first cap tonight - a very difficult one too. He's been in the squad for almost 3 years I think.

Oh dear, Everyone seems kind of on a downer after the game tonight which is hilarious given that I watched it pretty much in isolation and was expecting a more positive response on the boards tonight. Is it just because we lost by a 3-goal margin? What were people expecting? France are an incredible team.

The way I look at it is that you have to go through the pain of difficult games in order to get better, it's part of the process whether that be tonight or having a disappointing Euros last time round. This will help us in the long run. That's the bottom line for me with this game.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Like the England game at Hampden proved, we're absolutely light years off the elite teams.

Even with a full strength team out I fail to see how we can come up with a plan to compete against these teams.

For Scottish fans of a certain age it's quite sad that we're so far behind these teams.

We played an elite team five days ago and competed well against them.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually thought we played ok tonight.

They're just quite a lot better.  

Yeah, I saw our lineup and then looked at theirs and just hoped it wouldn't be a total hiding.

A comfortable defeat, but not the end of the world. France are a phenomenal team and will do that to better teams than us.

Great to see Gilmour get his first goal in senior football.

7 hours ago, Hendricks said:

The overreaction is actually embarrassing. Neither Clarke nor the players will be impacted one bit by tonight where we played a more or less full strength French team with about 2 of our first 11. And still competed ok for spells. We are moving in the right direction but as always some just canny be content. Hilarious. 

100%. You’d think after qualifying with games to spare some would give themselves a night off. 

Yes, there’s a gap with France (the horror), part of the way to bridge that is to get these experiences and without any of the jeopardy too. I really don’t see the issue.  

We have a great coach and a very good squad of players, a lot of whom showed up well tonight.

We just lack that elite level forward who can make something out of nothing to become a pot 1 team.

For the time being Clarke will set up his team to get a win but that is no easy task away to the likes of France. We weren't too far away against Spain, in Seville.

No shame in losing to excellent English and French teams in recent games. 

Two qualifiers to come, which we will be favourites to win, then the coach will work on preparations for Germany where I feel we can do well.

The first 15 minutes was the best first 15 minutes of all-time, but then the game went exactly as expected. Ferguson was a bit of a disappointment after his year-long hype campaign (including from me) and Gilmour seemed to struggle with the pitch. I actually thought McTominay was different class - much closer in performance to the French midfielders than his teammates - and, as mentioned, Brown was the biggest surprise of the lot. 

I completely understand that we need to test ourselves against these teams, but that doesn't mean we need to enjoy watching it. 

On the positive side, just under a month until the real football returns!

Brown probably did enough in that one cameo to nail down his place in the squad next summer, he's playing at a better level than Dykes and Adams and hopefully can really challenge them for a starting spot over the next 9 months - thought it was telling that Clarke went through almost his entire team praising performances last night but omitted Taylor, Patterson and Adams. I didn't see all the game, the bits I saw I thought Patterson did OK and putting him at fault for the first is very harsh, I think we don't lose that first goal with Dykes defending the front post. Ferguson grew into the game, it's hard when you're stepping into a reserve team but he looked strong and really puts himself about, definitely a viable McGinn alternative. McTominay was very very good but needs to try and not do everything himself sometimes, you can see going forward how much he backs himself now which is good but sometimes needs to play in others earlier.

Actually enjoyed that in a weird way. Great to see Ferguson get a start after his good season in Italy. Also chuffed for Kelly/Clark. Although I believe neither are international class, they have been with the group a long time and it would have meant a lot to them. Lovely finish from Gilmour for his first ever goal and we did play some nice stuff at times so definitely some positives. I find it  weird the people moaning about these friendlies. With the Euros coming up and then nations league A this is the teams we will be up against for the foreseeable! Unfortunately, I believe we are still a top centre back and striker away from laying a glove on these teams consistently and with only 8 months to go i cant see either of this happening. 

Good use of a friendly imo. Get a good look at some fringe players playing together and reward them for not pulling out sick/injured /in the huff. 

I thought our left flank defended and kept the ball well while the right was more adventurous and got us up the park more and more quickly. They defended like blancmange though, even allowing for the opposition. 

No fucks given about the score in a friendly