State of the group and seeding chat

Donathan

3 hours ago, immcinto said:

I think 4pts from remaining two games likely puts us in pot 2. Austria are the biggest threat.

Hungary drawing last night guarantees pot 1 I think if Spain slip up and we get 6pts

We've a +1 GD on Austria but they've scored 3 more and a point ahead.  We just need to match whatever they win by to guarantee being above them (assuming they win, and that we also get a draw).

Two wins means we're a 2nd seed as far as I can see.  I don't see any other obvious threats as Denmark and Slovenia have to play one another, so 17 points is the maximum that either can finish on, and be 2nd. 

image.thumb.png.70d4c2befa122009bd18e58ed5033c38.png

Sticks in the craw a bit that we'll likely finish on more points than a lot of the group winners.

Spain losing either of the games against the diddies is never going to happen really

The league A play off is currently set to be

Poland/Italy/Croatia/Estonia

League B

Israel/Bosnia/Finland/Iceland

League C

Georgia/Greece/Kazakhstan/Luxembourg F8rFApZW4AEEHUO(1).png.bf7d0d7021f833282de4103cf741b754.png

Still a long way to go, that projection has Israel and Croatia qualifying which I don't necessarily agree with. Apart from that things are starting to settle.

I think we'd want Italy to win against Ukraine to take them out of a potential 4th seeding spot. 

I can just picture  France/Scotland/Netherlands/Italy

Just now, MarkoRaj said:

Still a long way to go, that projection has Israel and Croatia qualifying which I don't necessarily agree with. Apart from that things are starting to settle.

I think we'd want Italy to win against Ukraine to take them out of a potential 4th seeding spot. 

I can just picture  France/Scotland/Netherlands/Italy

This kind of draw is my fear as well. Frustratingly, it’s a draw that isn’t possible from pot 3 but is for pot 2. Hopefully Italy get the job done next month and we don’t have to worry about it, though.

I think the prospects of progression will likely hinge on who we get out of that 3rd pot.

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

Sticks in the craw a bit that we'll likely finish on more points than a lot of the group winners.

Spain losing either of the games against the diddies is never going to happen really

The league A play off is currently set to be

Poland/Italy/Croatia/Estonia

League B

Israel/Bosnia/Finland/Iceland

League C

Georgia/Greece/Kazakhstan/Luxembourg F8rFApZW4AEEHUO(1).png.bf7d0d7021f833282de4103cf741b754.png

In my capacity as a Scotland fan, I deem it inherently unfair that seeding is being done based on group position first and not points alone.

I agree that he is underated but don't think Shankland and Nisbet have done much wrong to lose there notch on the totem pole

Suppose we need to see if he is still top scorer when the next squad is announced 

And if he is then maybe just maybe we will have a wee look at him in the squad

And for the record put Shankland in any championship team down there he bangs them in as well 

Sorry this was for the Ryan Hardie thread.....

Edited by General dissaray

2 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

This kind of draw is my fear as well. Frustratingly, it’s a draw that isn’t possible from pot 3 but is for pot 2. Hopefully Italy get the job done next month and we don’t have to worry about it, though.

I think the prospects of progression will likely hinge on who we get out of that 3rd pot.

The way things are going Italy could easily be pot 4 regardless now. The most points Italy can now get in finishing 2nd to England is 16. At least 7 of the runners up in the other groups will likely have more than 16pts (or better GD) so Italy will finish in places 18th-20th for automatically qualified teams. Teams 1-17 go into pots 1-3 + Germany.

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

I agree that he is underated but don't think Shankland and Nisbet have done much wrong to lose there notch on the totem pole

Suppose we need to see if he is still top scorer when the next squad is announced 

And if he is then maybe just maybe we will have a wee look at him in the squad

And for the record put Shankland in any championship team down there he bangs them in as well 

He's been rotten for Hearts the last couple of months, doesn't look particularly fit never mind sharp and appears to be resenting the fact he never got bog move in the summer. That said it was Celtic at home (this weekends fixture) when he came alive last season so let's see if the international break has revived him. Given the 26 man Euro's squad there is a huge opportunity for a couple of players to force their way in with consistent good form domestically. 

2 hours ago, Hendricks said:

He's been rotten for Hearts the last couple of months, doesn't look particularly fit never mind sharp and appears to be resenting the fact he never got bog move in the summer. That said it was Celtic at home (this weekends fixture) when he came alive last season so let's see if the international break has revived him. Given the 26 man Euro's squad there is a huge opportunity for a couple of players to force their way in with consistent good form domestically. 

Guys literally a fitness trainer is a lot off shite,and doubt he is resenting moving he literally lives were he comes from and gets in from training to spend time with his kid

5 hours ago, Hendricks said:

The way things are going Italy could easily be pot 4 regardless now. The most points Italy can now get in finishing 2nd to England is 16. At least 7 of the runners up in the other groups will likely have more than 16pts (or better GD) so Italy will finish in places 18th-20th for automatically qualified teams. Teams 1-17 go into pots 1-3 + Germany.

I kinda take the view that if they finish there, they’ve finished there for a reason and therefore we shouldn’t worry about them. Of all the “big” teams, Italy must be the one that most often has a poor team, to the extent of sometimes not even qualifying. Particularly in more recent times. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I kinda take the view that if they finish there, they’ve finished there for a reason and therefore we shouldn’t worry about them. Of all the “big” teams, Italy must be the one that most often has a poor team, to the extent of sometimes not even qualifying. Particularly in more recent times. 

Think it's just a tough group. England are on it and Ukraine must be up there for toughest pot 3 teams.

Thought Italy looked decent and competed well at Wembley the other night 

19 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Them and the Dutch seem to have had a tough time, relatively speaking, making things easy for themselves over the last few years. Neither worry me nearly as much England, France or Portugal. Even Germany seem a far more attractive proposition in respect to the likelihood of getting a result. 

I am more minded to see it all as an opportunity. 

France, England and Portugal seem well ahead of us at present. Outside of that trio I would give our full strength squad a punchers chance against anyone at the tournament. We've also got the added bonus of the derby factor against England.

McSauce for top scorer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not seeing a huge reason to prefer being in pot-2 to pot-3 for Euro-2024, maybe that'll change this month - but as things stand with a round of games to go this is how the pots would be arranged for the final tournament and Pot-3 looks like a decent place to be.

image.png.10d6c9c4776eb5b50b740810d15665a2.png

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I'm not seeing a huge reason to prefer being in pot-2 to pot-3 for Euro-2024, maybe that'll change this month - but as things stand with a round of games to go this is how the pots would be arranged for the final tournament and Pot-3 looks like a decent place to be.

image.png.10d6c9c4776eb5b50b740810d15665a2.png

Yikes! By that graphic, I'd say pot 3 is better for us.

Indeed, pot 3 looks like a better bet as things stand.  Obviously things can shift though.  Not that I'm suggesting we throw games (deliberately at least, we're well capable of just being shite) but what's a likely string of results that would definitely push us to pot 3?  Or is pot 4 out of the question now, so it's basically drop any points in these two games?