Spectacular

Richey Edwards

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Had something similar happened against us, we'd have been bemoaning the outrageous luck of our opponents, not pointing to their heroism.

Of course we would, because for us it would be a completely different situation. We’d have lost miserably and would be moaning about the team. 

As I say, a game or player can be heroic for lots of reasons, not just playing well and winning. 

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Absolutely.  I'm old enough to know this.  I wish people would stop telling me blindingly obvious stuff.  I'm delighted that we've qualified and it's been a very successful campaign for us to do so this early.

Competent isn't heroic though.

That's all.

Man acts like a fool, is treated like a fool.  Is then upset at getting treated like a fool.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Had something similar happened against us, we'd have been bemoaning the outrageous luck of our opponents, not pointing to their heroism.

To the victor, the spoils. That's how these things work. 

13 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

That most of this campaign where we've qualified with two games to spare was just "competent", bar one game.

It comes across as a wee bit... dour.

I think it's just not hysterical.

It's weird how unacceptable some find such a stance.

Nah, the joy remains.  Can't wait for the summer now. 

Is pretending that the campaign was "full of absolute heroic performances" really necessary for that though?

The reality is that since this tournament's finals expanded to 24 teams, we should be looking to qualify. 

We were in a tough group with a big gun, a peer and a couple of tricky more lowly sides.  It's great that we've qualified comfortably.  I've seen enough to certainly not take that for granted.  It doesn't mean that I have to abandon all critical faculties though, does it?

I'm not a child.

Got a Facebook memory about 16 October 2012 - lost 2-0 in Belgium (Danny Fox in the team - had completely forgotten about him) and bottom of a four-team group. With Wales, among others, above.

It's an utterly transformational, er, transformation.

2 hours ago, HighlandWarrior said:

They still have a possible play off spot available to them if they remain in third & other results go their way, so he may yet be there but if they play like they did last night I wouldn't hold out much of them getting there

Their position in the group is not relevant, the game against us is all but meaningless for them.

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It's going to take till their all retired until some of you lot realise just how high quality the players we have now are.  not since the 1970's when we we're full of European cup & English league winners did we have such strong collection of players.  the majority of the squad play regularly in the EPL, the strength & depth of that league is like nothing that has ever been seen before. the level of technicality, professional discipline, athleticism etc is like another sport compared to the 1970's.  

The manager rightly deserves a huge amount of credit for how far on he's brought this squad. Strachan or leveign would have us going into the last game scrapping for 3rd & a play off before failing no doubt.  But the success of this team is because we have better players.

and the 1980s

2 hours ago, HighlandWarrior said:

They still have a possible play off spot available to them if they remain in third & other results go their way, so he may yet be there but if they play like they did last night I wouldn't hold out much of them getting there

Third place doesn’t make a difference to their playoff chances. Georgia are 4th and guaranteed theirs

Norway need sides above them in League B to qualify directly, and ideally have only 2 sides miss out direct qualification from Group A.

Right now, it doesn’t look great. Group A will have 3 nations miss out if Netherlands can’t beat Greece (the 4th spot would go to Estonia in Group D).

Finland look like they’ll be edged out. Israel aren’t in a great position (who knows when/how/where they’ll play their games?), Bosnia have a bit of work to do, and Ukraine need to beat Italy.

Assuming Serbia don’t collapse and Greece finish ahead of Netherlands, Norway need 2 of Ukraine/Bosnia/Israel/Finland to somehow make it direct. I believe it’s only 1 if Netherlands finish 2nd. 

I’m sure there’s more to it than that, but those are the most obvious pitfalls at the moment.

F7C7BDF7-44F9-486B-9CE2-4DE50704CD4E.jpeg

3 hours ago, HighlandWarrior said:

Ach I forgot that lesser teams get a potential back door option. 😂 

I much prefer getting the job done early!

3 hours ago, HighlandWarrior said:

Norway played miles better away to Spain than they did last night. Not complaining of course, but haven't a scooby what happened to them yesterday, - Spain are better than then, but Norway were hopeless.

14 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

We've cruised it. From a team hounded in Kazakhstan just 4 years ago to this, it's incredible. 

The more I look back on this result the less I am surprised. I don't care what anyone says McLeish definitely had something up with him mentally, it was obvious even as a pundit prior to his appointment. Add Peter Grant who is outing himself as a moron week after week on the radio as well as Celtic TV,  the whole Dunfermline debacle too. Plus McFadden who had no coaching experience, wtf were the SFA actually thinking.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Got a Facebook memory about 16 October 2012 - lost 2-0 in Belgium (Danny Fox in the team - had completely forgotten about him) and bottom of a four-team group. With Wales, among others, above.

It's an utterly transformational, er, transformation.

Those Wales games were bleak.  Snodgrass getting a red card for slide tackling a guy from twenty yards in a monsoon springs immediately to mind.