Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Rattled.

This is all part and parcel of being on these boards. I've been guilty of being a nugget myself, so I'm not going to deny you your right to be a dafty on here. If you want to use multiple aliases then on you go, I don't have an issue with it - you probably needed a rebrand as your The SandDancer account was taking some hits. So good luck with your new look, enjoy and do what you do. 

Edited by 2426255

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

This is all part and parcel of being on these boards. I've been guilty of being a nugget myself, so I'm not going to deny you your right to be a dafty on here. If you want to use multiple aliases then on you go, I don't have an issue with it - you probably needed a rebrand as your The SandDancer account was taking some hits. So good luck with your new look, enjoy and do what you do. 

Honestly no idea what you're on about here apart from you being a nugget

My current plane, based on the assumption that Hickey and McTominay will be fit enough to go but Armstrong Ferguson, and Patterson will not. The guys in brackets are the 24th-26th men that get in if the squad is expanded:

Goalkeepers: Zander Clark, Craig Gordon, Angus Gunn (3)

Defenders: Liam Cooper, Aaron Hickey, Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna, Ryan Porteous, Anthony Ralston, Andy Robertson, Greg Taylor, Kieran Tierney, (Grant Hanley) (7/8)

Midfielders: Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser, Billy Gilmour, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Scott McTominay, Ryan Jack, (Tom Cairney) (8/9)

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Lawrence Shankland, (Jacob Brown) (3/4)

2 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

My current plane, based on the assumption that Hickey and McTominay will be fit enough to go but Armstrong Ferguson, and Patterson will not. The guys in brackets are the 24th-26th men that get in if the squad is expanded:

Defenders: Liam Cooper, Aaron Hickey, Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna, Ryan Porteous, Anthony Ralston, Andy Robertson, Greg Taylor, Kieran Tierney, (Grant Hanley) (7/8)

Midfielders: Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser, Billy Gilmour, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Scott McTominay, Ryan Jack, (Tom Cairney) (8/9)

Currently this is how I see it also but I have a feeling he will go with Brown regardless as he can play wide AM also and Cairney will be left out since he's no been close to the Scotland team for years. 

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Your current plane or what you think Stevie Clarke will take? Not necessarily the same thing. I'd take Craig Gordon for instance but I'm not convinced Clarke will unless he plays most of the remaining games for Hearts.

For me Grant Hanley's either fit or he's not. If he's fit he goes whether it's 23 or 26. If he's not then he doesn't. I don't think the squad size affects him. Same as Hickey in effect. Is there doubt about McTominay now? I know he went off injured yesterday but I didn't see the game so was not aware it was anything serious.

On the positive news front Southampton have confirmed Stuart Armstrong has a quad injury and not a knee one and he has a 'good chance' of being fit for the Euros though he won't play for them again this season.

If it's 23 for June and picked today (on the assumption Hickey, Hanley and Armstrong make it but Patterson and Ferguson do not) then:

Gunn, Clark and probably Kelly
Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Ralston, Hanley, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Cooper
McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn, McTominay, McLean, Christie, Armstrong
Dykes, Adams, Shankland

Which is 22. One more from Souttar, Taylor, McCrorie (Ross), Johnston, Jack, Brown, Nisbet, Conway

If Gordon plays 3 or 4 of Hearts remaining games and plays ok then he displaces Kelly.
Possible Souttar is preferred to Cooper, that's a coin flip.

Armstrong not making it opens the door for a question about Fraser, Gauld, Cairney, etc but it will most likely be Jack or Brown unless both are also not fit.

26 man squad opens up the possibility of more adventurous picks but I guess it's likely to just mean three more from the list above.

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Your current plane or what you think Stevie Clarke will take? Not necessarily the same thing. I'd take Craig Gordon for instance but I'm not convinced Clarke will unless he plays most of the remaining games for Hearts.

For me Grant Hanley's either fit or he's not. If he's fit he goes whether it's 23 or 26. If he's not then he doesn't. I don't think the squad size affects him. Same as Hickey in effect. Is there doubt about McTominay now? I know he went off injured yesterday but I didn't see the game so was not aware it was anything serious.

On the positive news front Southampton have confirmed Stuart Armstrong has a quad injury and not a knee one and he has a 'good chance' of being fit for the Euros though he won't play for them again this season.

If it's 23 for June and picked today (on the assumption Hickey, Hanley and Armstrong make it but Patterson and Ferguson do not) then:

Gunn, Clark and probably Kelly
Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Ralston, Hanley, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Cooper
McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn, McTominay, McLean, Christie, Armstrong
Dykes, Adams, Shankland

Which is 22. One more from Souttar, Taylor, McCrorie (Ross), Johnston, Jack, Brown, Nisbet, Conway

If Gordon plays 3 or 4 of Hearts remaining games and plays ok then he displaces Kelly.
Possible Souttar is preferred to Cooper, that's a coin flip.

Armstrong not making it opens the door for a question about Fraser, Gauld, Cairney, etc but it will most likely be Jack or Brown unless both are also not fit.

26 man squad opens up the possibility of more adventurous picks but I guess it's likely to just mean three more from the list above.

Good post. Good news re: Stuart Armstrong. Clarke might use a percentage of any potential additional spaces for younger players (Johnston, Conway). If he can kill two birds with one stone so much the better.

I take your point about them being fit or not, but it's my view that a 26 man squad affords Clarke the option of gambling on core players returning from injury, e.g. Hickey, Hanley and Armstrong. Is there a risk in terms of full back coverage even if Hickey goes? it might be worth having a player in the squad capable of covering that if there's an issue there (Johnston).

Similar with Armstrong and Hickey. Someone who could maybe cover both those areas (Fraser) might end up coming into it.

41 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

What are the dates for Euros squad announcement/friendlies etc?

I'm assuming there isn't an opportunity now for Clarke to call up a larger group and then trim it down for final squad.

7th June for the final Euros squad. Was announced 19th May the last time, with the deadline being 1st June. 

42 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

What are the dates for Euros squad announcement/friendlies etc?

I'm assuming there isn't an opportunity now for Clarke to call up a larger group and then trim it down for final squad.

This is exactly what’s going to happen. Hes naming a larger squad in May and then trimming it on the June 7 deadline. 

20 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

This is exactly what’s going to happen. Hes naming a larger squad in May and then trimming it on the June 7 deadline. 

For Euro-2020 the squad was named on the 19th of May. The deadline was 1st-June and the last friendly took place against Luxembourg on the 6th-June.

For Euro-2024 The deadline is 7th-June (the same day as the Finland game, which kicks off at 1945). Seems needlessly complicated logistically. What makes you so certain?

25 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Has this been said anywhere? We obviously have the two friendlies Gibraltar and Finland but the final squad is to be confirmed on the day of the Finland match (not clear if that means midnight or during daytime hours, and presumably it's CET anyway. Ergo, it'll certainly need confirmed before the Finland game.

I'm pretty much assuming he'll name a squad for the two friendlies the usual week or so ahead of the first and that it will be the Euro squad. I suppose it might be slightly larger if there are lingering fitness doubts over a couple and they are given the week / Gibraltar game to prove their fitness.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Has this been said anywhere? We obviously have the two friendlies Gibraltar and Finland but the final squad is to be confirmed on the day of the Finland match (not clear if that means midnight or during daytime hours, and presumably it's CET anyway. Ergo, it'll certainly need confirmed before the Finland game.

I'm pretty much assuming he'll name a squad for the two friendlies the usual week or so ahead of the first and that it will be the Euro squad. I suppose it might be slightly larger if there are lingering fitness doubts over a couple and they are given the week / Gibraltar game to prove their fitness.

Can you imagine a squad announcement before the Finland game, just doesn't make sense or worse after it around midnight lol. That would be one for the books. Surely the squad will be settled before the Finland game at least.

Edited by 2426255

Just now, 2426255 said:

Can you imagine a squad announcement before the Finland game, just doesn't make sense or worse after it around midnight lol. That would be one for the books 

No. The squad will need to be announced ahead of Finland. I accept there's an argument for having a larger squad go to Gibraltar and trimming it on return, especially if there are fitness proofs to be made by the likes of Hickey and Armstrong. For me though when the games are so close you just name the Euro squad and use them in the friendlies. Possibly with a standby list.

Does Stevie Clarke really want to be calling three or four players to his hotel room after Gibraltar (be that in Portugal or back in Scotland, not sure if they'll go direct to the airport post match) and telling them they haven't made it? I'd get that out of the way before they go and take a party that will go to the Euros away.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

No. The squad will need to be announced ahead of Finland. I accept there's an argument for having a larger squad go to Gibraltar and trimming it on return, especially if there are fitness proofs to be made by the likes of Hickey and Armstrong. For me though when the games are so close you just name the Euro squad and use them in the friendlies. Possibly with a standby list.

Does Stevie Clarke really want to be calling three or four players to his hotel room after Gibraltar (be that in Portugal or back in Scotland, not sure if they'll go direct to the airport post match) and telling them they haven't made it? I'd get that out of the way before they go and take a party that will go to the Euros away.

That's it, I believe it was you that said previously there was a standby list last time with Lewis Ferguson on it. Why would that method be changed? I don't know though.

Just now, 2426255 said:

That's it, I believe it was you that said previously there was a standby list last time with Lewis Ferguson on it. Why would that method be changed? I don't know though.

Wasn't me. Couldn't have told you that.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wasn't me. Couldn't have told you that.

it was in a different thread. accies1874

On 01/04/2024 at 17:45, accies1874 said:

For the last Euros, it sounded like Clarke did have a few folk in reserve who he told to keep fit in case they're needed. Ferguson was definitely one of them. There's obviously no guarantee that he'll do the same this time, but I think it's more likely than him naming an expanded provisional squad. 

Edited by 2426255

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

For Euro-2020 the squad was named on the 19th of May. The deadline was 1st-June and the last friendly took place against Luxembourg on the 6th-June.

For Euro-2024 The deadline is 7th-June (the same day as the Finland game, which kicks off at 1945). Seems needlessly complicated logistically. What makes you so certain?

I read somewhere online last week that he’s expected to announce a “long list” in mid May. Putting two and two together, the final squad would need to be some time after that. 

Most of the squad will finish their club season on the weekend of 18th/19th May unless anyone is involved in play-offs or cup finals.

At the moment we have Ralston, Taylor, Souttar, Jack, McGregor and McTominay playing domestic cup finals the week before the Gibraltar game. Norwich (Gunn, Hanley and McLean), Southampton (Adams, Armstrong, Fraser) and Leeds (Cooper) are all in playoff spots at the moment. 

John McGinn’s Aston Villa are one win away from the conference league final on 29th May which would also mean we’d be without our set piece guru Austin MacPhee for a lot of the pre tournament training. Jack Hendry’s Saudi league runs right up to 26th May, as does Tierney’s La Liga, McKenna’s Danish League and Josh Doig in Serie A.

I think you might well see a bit of a make shift team for the Gibraltar game as Clarke prioritises giving minutes to guys coming back off injuries and resting guys who had extended club seasons. For that reason I think you’ll see a bigger squad for that game and then the final squad against Finland.

something like

Gordon 

Hickey - Porteous - ??? - Robertson

Gilmour - McTominay

Armstrong - Brown - Christie 

Dykes 

The 2nd CB would be whoever out of Hanley/Cooper isn’t in the playoff final

4 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I read somewhere online last week that he’s expected to announce a “long list” in mid May. Putting two and two together, the final squad would need to be some time after that. 

Most of the squad will finish their club season on the weekend of 18th/19th May unless anyone is involved in play-offs or cup finals.

At the moment we have Ralston, Taylor, Souttar, Jack, McGregor and McTominay playing domestic cup finals the week before the Gibraltar game. Norwich (Gunn, Hanley and McLean), Southampton (Adams, Armstrong, Fraser) and Leeds (Cooper) are all in playoff spots at the moment. 

John McGinn’s Aston Villa are one win away from the conference league final on 29th May which would also mean we’d be without our set piece guru Austin MacPhee for a lot of the pre tournament training. Jack Hendry’s Saudi league runs right up to 26th May, as does Tierney’s La Liga, McKenna’s Danish League and Josh Doig in Serie A.

I think you might well see a bit of a make shift team for the Gibraltar game as Clarke prioritises giving minutes to guys coming back off injuries and resting guys who had extended club seasons. For that reason I think you’ll see a bigger squad for that game and then the final squad against Finland.

something like

Gordon 

Hickey - Porteous - ??? - Robertson

Gilmour - McTominay

Armstrong - Brown - Christie 

Dykes 

The 2nd CB would be whoever out of Hanley/Cooper isn’t in the playoff final

Fair enough, thanks for that - just have to wait and see then. The different end dates is always an issue.

Edited by 2426255

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fair enough, thanks for that - just have to wait and see then. The different end dates is always an issue.

Clarke and the sports science guys will know better than me which players will benefit from a kick about with some fishermen in potentially seering heat and which will benefit from a rest but I can’t imagine many of those who played on the last weekend in May will be risked. Instead, I see that game as an opportunity for those who last played on the 18th/19th to keep fresh, whereas the Finland game will probably see us move towards a tournament XI of sorts.

I think the final squad will probably be announced on the day after the Gibraltar game.