Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

51 minutes ago, welldaft said:

BOLLOX.  In life if u want something you cannot sit around waiting.

Nothing I have ever done positively came from me waiting. 

Steve Clarke has done a great job but he is an obstinate so and so. 

Jake-Humphrey-photo.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a

6 hours ago, welldaft said:

BOLLOX.  In life if u want something you cannot sit around waiting.

Nothing I have ever done positively came from me waiting. 

Steve Clarke has done a great job but he is an obstinate so and so. 

Sounds more like you're the one being stubborn on this one.

Stick by my original post. Granted the follow up one was malt whisky infused 🥃🤷‍♂️.

The chances of Harvey Barnes playing for England are remote.

If S Clarke made a serious play for him representing Scotland then I am sure he would consider it. Maybe he has. But reading between the lines he has basically said anyone who wants to play for Scotland knows where I am.

Like I said before if you want something to happen you have to make it happen. If people want to ridicule that point then fine. But it is essentially true. Red dots or not. Barnes would slot nicely into our team and absolutely make us a more dangerous proposition. 

Edited by welldaft

In the last year or so Angus Gunn, Jacob Brown and Elliott Anderson have all been called up by Clarke. Are you suggesting that he didn't pursue any of them and that they were all on the phone to him begging for a call-up? Even Anderson, who subsequently did a runner?

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The chances of Harvey Barnes playing for England are remote.

Harvey Barnes doesn't seem to think so. Why are you ignoring the evidence that's out there? 🫣😂

There's no reason why, if I get back to having a good run of games and hit my best form, that I can't be back involved in the squad (England). That's my dream, to be back involved in there and get myself more caps – that would be amazing. 

Harvey Barnes

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/features/harvey-barnes-programme-interview-23-24/

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Harvey Barnes doesn't seem to think so. Why are you ignoring the evidence that's out there? 🫣😂

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/features/harvey-barnes-programme-interview-23-24/

I’ve posted this several times as well but it doesn’t stop people going on about Barnes.

It’s not like he’s some young boy still making up his mind, he’s 26 and clearly has no interest in playing for us any time soon.

To me those comments sound more like Barnes turned down an approach and Clarke, quite rightly, isn’t going to beg him. If he has a change of heart, then he knows where we are. As per the above two posts (and numerous other ones every time somebody comes back to this), his heart is set on England and that’s fine. 

47 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’ve posted this several times as well but it doesn’t stop people going on about Barnes.

It’s not like he’s some young boy still making up his mind, he’s 26 and clearly has no interest in playing for us any time soon.

That's the reason that I ended up recording quotes, because I learned it's necessary to shut down all the nonsense and mythology that attempts to reign supreme at points on the TA section. Whether it's this crap around Harvey Barnes or 'Scott McTominay used to be a striker when he was younger'. They keep popping up though.

giphy.gif

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Like I said before if you want something to happen you have to make it happen. If people want to ridicule that point then fine. But it is essentially true. Red dots or not. 

I am a 42 year old project manager with a degree in history/politics. I have always dreamt of being an astronaut (or cosmonaut/taikonaut/spationaut) and spending a year on the ISS. How do you suggest I make this happen?  

16 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I am a 42 year old project manager with a degree in history/politics. I have always dreamt of being an astronaut (or cosmonaut/taikonaut/spationaut) and spending a year on the ISS. How do you suggest I make this happen?  

You could try to 'manifest' it. I believe Steve Clarke is taking this approach with Harvey Barnes. He's locked himself in a room and is to trying make it happen by imagining it and consciously thinking that it will happen. I believe this is what @welldaft was implying with his run of posts. 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

Buy a nice bottle of malt, get wired in and hey presto.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

'Who's on the spaceship' thread for this.

Was thinking about the fact we don't have any proper wingers and that could maybe be addressed with the increased squad size in case we need to change shape (fairly likely that we'll need to chase a late goal at some point in the tournament)

Who would be most likely to come into the fold?

If Doak had played I'd have liked to see him in the squad.

Ryan Fraser and James Forrest have lots of experience but both past their best. Genuinely can't think of any others that have been involved before or close to a call up

10 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Was thinking about the fact we don't have any proper wingers and that could maybe be addressed with the increased squad size in case we need to change shape (fairly likely that we'll need to chase a late goal at some point in the tournament)

Who would be most likely to come into the fold?

If Doak had played I'd have liked to see him in the squad.

Ryan Fraser and James Forrest have lots of experience but both past their best. Genuinely can't think of any others that have been involved before or close to a call up

I don’t think Ryan Fraser is anywhere close to James Forrest in terms of being past his best, seems to be having a pretty decent season and has done well as an impact sub at times too - the role we would most likely be using him as..

I would have him in the squad regardless of the size tbh, just as he offers something different. Also offers you an option at RWB if Patterson is struggling. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Was it early SSC tenure when Fraser played in behind Dykes and it was very effective / goal v someone? If the squad size increases to 26 I’d be all for Fraser, notwithstanding issues between him and Clark, just as a plan B. Pace will always out imho

12 hours ago, Snobot said:

Was it early SSC tenure when Fraser played in behind Dykes and it was very effective / goal v someone? If the squad size increases to 26 I’d be all for Fraser, notwithstanding issues between him and Clark, just as a plan B. Pace will always out imho

Played up front with Dykes in the Nations League just after football returned during lockdown in 1-0 wins against Slovakia and Czech Republic - scored against the latter. Also played up front with Adams in the 2-0 defeat in Denmark. Not against the idea of him being in the squad if it increases to 26. 

Edited by PSJ.84

I'd have Ryan Fraser in my squad, but it's not looking very likely in my opinion. Even if the squad sizes are increased to 26 players I don't think it would be enough. On the Euro's squad Steve Clarke said he will be narrowing down a pool of 27/28 players down to 23.

Spoiler

There’s always places up for grabs because you don’t know what’s going to happen. Coming into this week we’ve got a number of players that are not here that would’ve been here, but they’re injured. There’s nothing going to change on that front over the next six, seven weeks. Players will get injured; it happens in football. Hopefully they don’t get too many injuries and hopefully there’s no big injuries that causes somebody to fall out, but you’re probably looking at a pool of 27/28 players that I have to narrow down to 23 so there are decisions to be made, for sure – 100%.

Steve Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5_oW2yCZwg

The March camp saw 25 players selected while Jack, McGregor, Hickey, Brown and Nisbet were all injured, so that takes us up to 30. I can't see where any newcomers or returners will fit into that. I'm guessing it will be go with what we've got or use those three extra spots for younger players, perhaps Conway and others like that.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that a 26 man squad will definitely just include three extra guys who were on the brink of being cut from a 23 man squad. It might be that the sort of versatility that could be helpful in a 23 man squad no longer becomes relevant in a 26, and it might also be that you decide to throw a wildcard or two in since these are basically "bonus" players he wasn't expecting to have.

I'd expect Greg Taylor to be the big winner because I think he'd probably have been cut from a 23 on the basis that Robertson, Tierney and Hickey can all play LWB, but I think he might get the nod in a 26 since it means we have an option of cover for Robertson which doesn't require us to shift anyone else around our back five.