Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

40 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

In, barring injury: Gunn, Hickey, Patterson, Robertson, Tierney, Hendry, Porteous, Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Adams, Dykes, Christie (14)

Likely in: Gordon, McKenna, McLean, Armstrong, Ferguson, Shankland (6)

This 20, + Zander Clark and Grant Hanley,  is my "pretty definite if fully fit" 22. 

51 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

In, barring injury: Gunn, Hickey, Patterson, Robertson, Tierney, Hendry, Porteous, Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Adams, Dykes, Christie (14)

Likely in: Gordon, McKenna, McLean, Armstrong, Ferguson, Shankland (6)

On the bubble: Clark, Kelly, Souttar, Cooper, Hanley, Taylor, Jack, Brown (8)

Likely need someone else to get an injury: McCrorie x2, Ralston, Doig, Johnston, Hyam, Nisbet

Wildcard outside shot: Fraser, Forrest, Turnbull, Stewart, Conway, any of the Newcastle 5, Morgan (10)

Realistically I think it’s going to the top 20 plus a 3rd goalkeeper, one more centre back and then either Greg Taylor, Ryan Jack, or Jacob Brown. 

This is an absolutely wild take. There's no chance, absolutely no chance, that Gordon will be in the Scotland squad before Clark as it stands with the latter keeping him out of the Hearts team.

The rest of your "likely in" list should all be in your "In barring injury" list.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is an absolutely wild take. There's no chance, absolutely no chance, that Gordon will be in the Scotland squad before Clark as it stands with the latter keeping him out of the Hearts team.

I'm still not so sure on that. What makes you so certain? I think Kelly is the least likely to go as things stand just based on historical information, but generally I wouldn't be putting any money on who our 2nd and 3rd goalkeepers will be.

Is Clark keeping Gordon out of the Hearts team at the moment or is it part of phasing Craig Gordon back in to only play the cup games and build him back in slowly as a planned reintegration? I don't know enough about Hearts to answer that.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm still not so sure on that. What makes you so certain? I think Kelly is the least likely to go as things stand just based on historical information, but generally I wouldn't be putting any money on who our 2nd and 3rd goalkeepers will be.

Is Clark keeping Gordon out of the Hearts team at the moment or is it part of phasing Craig Gordon back in to only play the cup games and build him back in slowly as a planned reintegration? I don't know enough about Hearts to answer that.

That's two different questions: Is Clark ahead of Gordon, and is Kelly ahead of Gordon. I was addressing the former, not the latter.

I don't think there's any doubt at all that Clark is keeping Gordon out of Hearts team. The evidence is in front of us. He's not been picked over Clark for a competitive league game since he came back. He's been fit since early January and he's managed 3 cup appearances. If they're "phasing him in" they're doing it at a pace that will see him retired before he plays again. Ultimately he's a goalkeeper and he's either fit or he's not. He's not having to run up and down the park for 90 minutes. They've played him in cup ties, he's sitting on the bench for league games. He's fit and not being picked.

Of course Clarke's not required to make the same choice just because Stevie Naismith has but he's already said when bringing Gordon back for this squad that it's going to be difficult to pick him if he's not playing games (or something like that, I can't recall the exact quote but I think you posted it?).

It's conceivable, particularly given how poor a season Kelly's had, that Clarke's prepared to take Gordon over Kelly anyway. Personally I'd rather he did. However, I took his remarks on selecting Gordon here to suggest it's unlikely. There's been a few pros wading in to say similar also (Kenny Miller certainly did. I think McFadden too).

The post you quoted though took issue at the suggestion Gordon is "likely" whilst Clark and Kelly are "on the bubble" and grouped together. I don't see any basis for that. It's pretty clear Zander Clark is ahead of Liam Kelly in the thinking. Hence he played both the late qualifiers when Gunn was out. Clark's place in the squad isn't under any threat for me. If Gordon goes it will be instead of Kelly.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That's two different questions: Is Clark ahead of Gordon, and is Kelly ahead of Gordon. I was addressing the former, not the latter.

I don't think there's any doubt at all that Clark is keeping Gordon out of Hearts team. The evidence is in front of us. He's not been picked over Clark for a competitive league game since he came back. He's been fit since early January and he's managed 3 cup appearances. If they're "phasing him in" they're doing it at a pace that will see him retired before he plays again. Ultimately he's a goalkeeper and he's either fit or he's not. He's not having to run up and down the park for 90 minutes. They've played him in cup ties, he's sitting on the bench for league games. He's fit and not being picked.

Of course Clarke's not required to make the same choice just because Stevie Naismith has but he's already said when bringing Gordon back for this squad that it's going to be difficult to pick him if he's not playing games (or something like that, I can't recall the exact quote but I think you posted it?).

It's conceivable, particularly given how poor a season Kelly's had, that Clarke's prepared to take Gordon over Kelly anyway. Personally I'd rather he did. However, I took his remarks on selecting Gordon here to suggest it's unlikely. There's been a few pros wading in to say similar also (Kenny Miller certainly did. I think McFadden too).

The post you quoted though took issue at the suggestion Gordon is "likely" whilst Clark and Kelly are "on the bubble" and grouped together. I don't see any basis for that. It's pretty clear Zander Clark is ahead of Liam Kelly in the thinking. Hence he played both the late qualifiers when Gunn was out. Clark's place in the squad isn't under any threat for me. If Gordon goes it will be instead of Kelly.

That's fair enough. For me at the moment it's Gordon, Gunn + another (probably Clark). Not in that order. The picture could change tomorrow night. 

I still see Gordon as part of the core, similar to Hanley, KT, Robertson etc.

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Disagree on Doak, although admittedly I'm not sure how long he is injured for.

An injury to one of our main strikers and an extra spot opens up for the likes of Nisbet, Stewart, Conway and of course Doak if he is back fit and in and around the Liverpool first team squad as he was pre injury.

Had he not been injured, I actually he think he would have had a bundle of starts for Liverpool this season given their injuries and would probably have been in the current Scotland squad as a result of that.

I agree it's not looking likely for him at this stage but to write him off completely as you have done is folly.

He's not played in months. He's just turned 18. The manager has said that he's unlikely at this stage to look to the u21 squad although the door isn't closed. The post I was replying to was caveated with "if everyone's fit". Obviously if there are a few attacking injuries the goalposts move.

Doak's best chance isn't an injury to a striker anyway. He can't do what they do. It's an injury to Armstrong, or possibly Christie. Fraser might be ahead of him though. Depends how much Clarke really has forgiven the no shows regardless of what he said publicly.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's fair enough. For me at the moment it's Gordon, Gunn + another (probably Clark). Not in that order. The picture could change tomorrow night. 

I still see Gordon as part of the core, similar to Hanley, KT, Robertson etc.

I wish that was the case. Like Hanley though he won't go if he doesn't play. One more game in a cup semi against Rangers probably doesn't cut it.

I've said before, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Clarke fielded Gordon tomorrow night. If he does it's a very strong indication that he WANTS to take him and wants to help get him up to speed. Conversely if he's not involved tomorrow, especially if either Clark or Kelly is, then it's a strong indication he's outside the squad at the moment.

The goalposts would move though if Hearts put him back in the team for the last month or so of the season. I agree 100% if he's playing he goes. I just don't think there's much doubt it would be Kelly who missed out.

If Gunn was injured then Craig Gordon would be going to Euros as Clarkes number one. I don't think many people would disagree with that.

Therefore I'm pretty confident he will be there as second choice and third choice will be between Kelly and Clark.

I dont think it matters one jot that Clark is keeping him out at Hearts. The only caveat is if he isn't fully fit which I assume he is otherwise he wouldn't be in the squad.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's not played in months. He's just turned 18. The manager has said that he's unlikely at this stage to look to the u21 squad although the door isn't closed. The post I was replying to was caveated with "if everyone's fit". Obviously if there are a few attacking injuries the goalposts move.

Doak's best chance isn't an injury to a striker anyway. He can't do what they do. It's an injury to Armstrong, or possibly Christie. Fraser might be ahead of him though. Depends how much Clarke really has forgiven the no shows regardless of what he said publicly.

I don't think Doak is "ahead" of anyone. I dont think he's ever been in a senior squad(?). But a tournament is a different experience, and one that Clark might like to expose him to if he's fit and on form. 

I might be totally wrong, but hopefully we all accept that on here.

3 hours ago, allyo said:

This 20, + Zander Clark and Grant Hanley,  is my "pretty definite if fully fit" 22. 

100% agree. Personally I believe the 23rd man will be another central defender, in my view Souttar, due to the concerns over Hanley's fitness and probably Tierney's history and ability to play 3 games in 10 days. 

This is assuming everyone else is fit!

3 minutes ago, allyo said:

I don't think Doak is "ahead" of anyone. I dont think he's ever been in a senior squad(?). But a tournament is a different experience, and one that Clark might like to expose him to if he's fit and on form. 

I might be totally wrong, but hopefully we all accept that on here.

It is highly likely that Doak and several other young players are taken with the squad but are not in the 23. This has happened whenever we qualified for major tournaments in the past with many notable players given that experience. They are able to get a flavour for everything that goes on, they are used for training matches and drills and interact with all the senior pros and witness what's required. 

32 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

If Gunn was injured then Craig Gordon would be going to Euros as Clarkes number one. I don't think many people would disagree with that.

Therefore I'm pretty confident he will be there as second choice and third choice will be between Kelly and Clark.

I dont think it matters one jot that Clark is keeping him out at Hearts. The only caveat is if he isn't fully fit which I assume he is otherwise he wouldn't be in the squad.

It's probable that Gordon will get several league games post split along with the Scottish Cup semi-final. 

Edited by Hendricks

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I'll disagree with it. Kenny Miller disagrees with it. We all WANT it to be the case but it's rose tinted thinking in my opinion. Hypothetically, if Gunn breaks his leg next week and misses the Euros and Craig Gordon spends the rest of the season playing one more game for Hearts, I fully expect Zander Clark would be starting against Germany. Gordon will definitely go if any of the other three are injured but if he remains behind Clark at Hearts he'll almost certainly remain behind him for Scotland.

Clarke on Gordon This is not a ringing endorsement. He might take Gordon even if he's not playing regularly. You don't have to read very far between the lines to appreciate what he's saying here even if he rightly refused to outright spell it out.

It's very difficult for a goalkeeper to be match sharp playing training games and an occasional cup tie so it absolutely matters that he's not playing club football.

1 hour ago, Hendricks said:

It's probable that Gordon will get several league games post split along with the Scottish Cup semi-final. 

Hopefully. And then, assuming he does fine in them then there's no great controversy. Bad news for Liam Kelly but both Gordon and Clark go. And maybe Gordon does then come into thinking for the Number 1 spot.

1 Gunn

2 hickey

3 Robertson

4 McTominay

5 Hanley/Cooper

6 Tierney

7 McGinn

8 McGregor

9 dykes

10 Adams

11 Christie

12 Gordon/Kelly

13 Hendry

14 Gilmour

15 Porteous

16 McKenna/Souttar

17 Armstrong

18 Shankland

19 Ferguson

20 Jack/Taylor/Ralston

21 Clark

22 Patterson

23 McLean

4 defenders for 2 positions, 4 gks for 3 positions

I reckon he might go with Ralston for versatility as he has filled in left and right, if Jack isn't fit

14 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

5 Hanley/Cooper

16 McKenna/Souttar

20 Jack/Taylor/Ralston

I reckon he might go with Ralston for versatility as he has filled in left and right, if Jack isn't fit

I doubt McKenna's competing with anyone for his place. If he's fit I'm pretty sure he'll go. Souttar's in that No 5 conversation. If Hanley's fit he'll go. If not then Cooper and Souttar are in competition for his place.

That no 20 shirt is the one still up for grabs and it's not entirely inconceivable that both Cooper and Souttar go either.

I don't think Ralston goes if Hickey's fit. He's not taking three right backs, particularly given Hickey can play either side. If Hanley and Hickey are both fit then Cooper, Souttar, Jack and Taylor (and any other Doak like wildcard anyone cares to throw in the mix) are competing for one spot. IMO.

19 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

1 Gunn

2 hickey

3 Robertson

4 McTominay

5 Hanley/Cooper

6 Tierney

7 McGinn

8 McGregor

9 dykes

10 Adams

11 Christie

12 Gordon/Kelly

13 Hendry

14 Gilmour

15 Porteous

16 McKenna/Souttar

17 Armstrong

18 Shankland

19 Ferguson

20 Jack/Taylor/Ralston

21 Clark

22 Patterson

23 McLean

4 defenders for 2 positions, 4 gks for 3 positions

Gordon will go ahead of Kelly. I don't think McKenna's place is in any doubt and I think Souttar will go too. I think if Hanley is fit he will go and if he isn't Cooper will go, so now straight up between them depending on Hanley's availability. I don't think any your No20's ie Jack, Taylor or Ralston will go. Obviously this is entirely dependent on us avoiding injuries and getting Hickey back. So my squad with everyone available:

1 Gunn

2 Hickey

3 Robertson

4 McTominay

5 Hanley

6 Tierney

7 McGinn

8 McGregor

9 Dykes

10 Adams

11 Christie

12 Gordon

13 Hendry

14 Gilmour

15 Porteous

16 McKenna

17 Armstrong

18 Shankland

19 Ferguson

20 Souttar

21 Clark

22 Patterson

23 McLean

Edited by Hendricks

Gunn, Gordon, Clark

Hickey, Patterson, Porteous, Hendry, Hanley, Cooper, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson

Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong, Ferguson, McLean

Dykes, Adams, Christie, Shankland

I think Ralston, Jack, Souttar, Taylor narrowly miss out

If Hickey is injured though - Ralston will go