Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Not sure if it's possible to replace injured players after the tournament starts. It'll be a consideration if Clarke's thinking about gambling on a player just back from a long term injury, e.g. Hickey.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-48-Player-lists-Online

Steve Clarke's comments previously.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11613708/ben-doak-scotland-euro-2024-steve-clarke-celtic-liverpool/

Yeah so we have to name the 23 players by 7th June (and would have to even if we weren't IN the opening match).

Anyone getting injured after that date but before we actually play Germany on 14th June can be replaced (we play in the opening game of course but for instance any of the 4 sides who don't play their first game until 18th June have up till 18th June to replace someone).

Thereafter only a goalkeeper can be replaced.

We're playing Finland on 7th June. I assume a formal squad will be named before that game rather than after the full time whistle. I'm guessing it's likely we'll name the squad before the Gibraltar game on June 3rd and will likely play those two games, with only the Euro squad and no extras. However, anyone getting injured in those two games could be replaced in the following 7 days.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm guessing it's likely we'll name the squad before the Gibraltar game on June 3rd and will likely play those two games, with only the Euro squad and no extras. 

Aye, seem to recall it was the middle of May the squad was announced last time. 

Souttar been Rangers best player in that first half. Strolling it and looks back to his best. No chance Cooper, getting no game time at Leeds, will be picked ahead of a Rangers centre half playing big European games. Only question, as always with him, is can he stay fit. If he does he'll be in the argument for starting in Germany, never mind just being part of the squad. 

1 hour ago, peebles_Dee said:

I only post on Dundee forum so strange he knows about my posts

You're aware that everyone can read the Dundee thread aren't you?

On 14/03/2024 at 19:38, Hendricks said:

Souttar been Rangers best player in that first half. Strolling it and looks back to his best. No chance Cooper, getting no game time at Leeds, will be picked ahead of a Rangers centre half playing big European games. Only question, as always with him, is can he stay fit. If he does he'll be in the argument for starting in Germany, never mind just being part of the squad. 

Still think this after Souttar spent 25 mins trying to play himself out of the squad altogether tonight?

He's nowhere near any argument for starting.

If Hanley's fit and Cooper gets some game time he's not going.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Still think this after Souttar spent 25 mins trying to play himself out of the squad altogether tonight?

He's nowhere near any argument for starting.

If Hanley's fit and Cooper gets some game time he's not going.

Obviously he didn't play well last night but I certainly won't be discounting him being in the squad on the basis of that. Indeed the very fact he was put on ahead of Cooper shows where Steve Clarke's head is and that he is ahead of him. The Hanley injury problems are a massive blow to the team/squad in general.

Would be very surprised if Souttar isn't still ahead of Cooper. Clarke is about as far from a reactionary as you will find. The person who probably moved furthest in terms of cementing his place on the plane last night (assuming we agree Shankland is a cert) was Craig Gordon. 

8 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Obviously he didn't play well last night but I certainly won't be discounting him being in the squad on the basis of that. Indeed the very fact he was put on ahead of Cooper shows where Steve Clarke's head is and that he is ahead of him. The Hanley injury problems are a massive blow to the team/squad in general.

I'm not discounting him being in the squad. He'll likely go if Cooper doesn't play a few games for Leeds before the end of the season and he'll definitely go if Hanley doesn't get back either. But the idea you were peddling that he was a cert for the squad and and likely starter is very far away from the truth and last night underlined it.

2 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Would be very surprised if Souttar isn't still ahead of Cooper. Clarke is about as far from a reactionary as you will find. The person who probably moved furthest in terms of cementing his place on the plane last night (assuming we agree Shankland is a cert) was Craig Gordon. 

Still ahead of Cooper? Has he ever been ahead of Cooper?

He may be ahead of Cooper right now because Cooper's not playing club football. If both were I think Cooper would be his preference. He already knows full well what Cooper can do. I think he wanted a look at Souttar last night against quality forwards to see where he's at. It didn't go well.

And I'm not sure what you think Craig Gordon affected last night? As much as it wasn't Gunn's finest hour, he's going to Germany, and almost certainly as 1st choice. Gordon's competing with Kelly for 3rd choice (though were he displace Clark at Hearts for the rest of the season he may become 2nd choice). Nothing changed in terms of that competition last night.

The player who had the worst night was plainly Souttar who did nothing to imply he should be ahead of a fit and playing Hanley and Cooper. Ralston also confirmed he's ideally not going although that isn't any sort of change. He clearly isn't going if Hickey and Patterson are fit. If Hickey's not he'll go despite his shortcomings.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not discounting him being in the squad. He'll likely go if Cooper doesn't play a few games for Leeds before the end of the season and he'll definitely go if Hanley doesn't get back either. But the idea you were peddling that he was a cert for the squad and and likely starter is very far away from the truth and last night underlined it.

I think you are way off about what Steve Clarke thinks about Souttar regardless of a shite half hour last night but we will see. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him start on Tuesday. 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Still ahead of Cooper? Has he ever been ahead of Cooper?

He may be ahead of Cooper right now 

Glad we agree. 

Gordon is the only keeper capable of challenging Gunn for the starting role, the others will never be more than backups. Friday showed that at the very least we need someone capable of that. 

I honestly think that if everyone is fit there might only be one place left on the plane, and it's between Souttar, Cooper, Taylor, Jack, Fraser and Doak (the last two being long shots), or a wildcard. 

I think the other 22 are pretty definite if fully fit. Though currently doubts around Hanley, Hickey, and fingers crossed on the others. Its unlikely that everyone will be okay unfortunately. 

If he's fit and even just gets a couple of appearances for Liverpool I'd like to see Ben Doak there. He offers something different and is obviously one for the future, a bit like Billy Gilmour last time round.  I think we have enough cover, particularly with Kenny McLean's adaptability,  to go without any more defenders.

Edited by allyo

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I honestly think that if everyone is fit there might only be one place left on the plane, and it's between Souttar, Cooper, Taylor, Jack, Fraser and Doak (the last two having about the same chance of Kenny Dalglish and Joe Jordan at this stage)

Fixed that for you.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fixed that for you.

Disagree on Doak, although admittedly I'm not sure how long he is injured for.

An injury to one of our main strikers and an extra spot opens up for the likes of Nisbet, Stewart, Conway and of course Doak if he is back fit and in and around the Liverpool first team squad as he was pre injury.

Had he not been injured, I actually he think he would have had a bundle of starts for Liverpool this season given their injuries and would probably have been in the current Scotland squad as a result of that.

I agree it's not looking likely for him at this stage but to write him off completely as you have done is folly.

In, barring injury: Gunn, Hickey, Patterson, Robertson, Tierney, Hendry, Porteous, Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Adams, Dykes, Christie (14)

Likely in: Gordon, McKenna, McLean, Armstrong, Ferguson, Shankland (6)

On the bubble: Clark, Kelly, Souttar, Cooper, Hanley, Taylor, Jack, Brown (8)

Likely need someone else to get an injury: McCrorie x2, Ralston, Doig, Johnston, Hyam, Nisbet

Wildcard outside shot: Fraser, Forrest, Turnbull, Stewart, Conway, any of the Newcastle 5, Morgan (10)

Realistically I think it’s going to the top 20 plus a 3rd goalkeeper, one more centre back and then either Greg Taylor, Ryan Jack, or Jacob Brown. 

Edited by JS_FFC