Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

6 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Piece in the daily mail this evening that Gareth Southgate and other coaches are lobbying for 26.

If that’s the case I’d love to see a wildcard pick (Doak?) but I’d imagine it just solidifies Taylor, Jack and another centre half 

Doak isn't expected to play again this season. Had knee surgery on meniscus. 

Just now, Hendricks said:

England keen to make it 26 man! Favours the big countries if that happens! 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/27/southgate-backs-push-for-26-man-squads-at-euro-2024-amid-injury-pile-up

You say that, but I’d be interested to know how often the 24th-26th men even kick a ball in the tournament.

Last time we had Taylor, Fleck, Gallagher and Turnbull as outfield players who took no part in the tournament. Not saying they were necessarily the last three picks but it does imply that Clarke doesn’t see 23 outfielders as necessary.

Even that England team that went all the way to the final didn’t use Ben Chilwell, Ben White or Conor Coady

13 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

You say that, but I’d be interested to know how often the 24th-26th men even kick a ball in the tournament.

Last time we had Taylor, Fleck, Gallagher and Turnbull as outfield players who took no part in the tournament. Not saying they were necessarily the last three picks but it does imply that Clarke doesn’t see 23 outfielders as necessary.

Even that England team that went all the way to the final didn’t use Ben Chilwell, Ben White or Conor Coady

The thing for them though is because of their options it just means more quality depth so they can cover even more, even unlikely eventualities. Or if they have one or two certain starters struggling - imagine Kane was touch and go they can just have him in the squad even if he might not play till the semi. It's a big advantage for the top tier teams. 

Also worth noting that Chilwell might have played some role last time if he didn’t have to self isolate for 10 days in the middle of the tournament last time along with Mason Mount after Billy Gilmour tested positive for COVID and those two were considered high risk contacts. 

14 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

This seems to be gathering momentum

That's interesting. I could see it happening as I don't see any reason why it should be limited to 23 instead of 26.

My view on this is that it won't be that important for Scotland unless we manage to get into the later rounds and we start losing players through injury and/or suspension so we'll probably just increase our filler in the squad, say Taylor, Souttar and Jack for example. That said, other advantages are that we could take more risks with injured players who might be a gamble (e.g. Hickey) or maybe younger players.

For the fans it would mean they can get excited about their favourite players being called into the squad.

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's interesting. I could see it happening as I don't see any reason why it should be limited to 23 instead of 26.

My view on this is that it won't be that important for Scotland unless we manage to get into the later rounds and we start losing players through injury and/or suspension so we'll probably just increase our filler in the squad, say Taylor, Souttar and Jack for example. That said, other advantages are that we could take more risks with injured players who might be a gamble (e.g. Hickey) or maybe younger players.

For the fans it would mean they can get excited about their favourite players being called into the squad.

Given their depth of players I think overall it benefits the tier one teams big time more than the likes of us. Interesting that England are at the forefront of it in the week when it was blindingly obvious how much they miss their captain and goalscorer. Hypothetically this would allow them to take the likes of Kane if he were injured but with say a chance of being back by a semi-final given the options available to them. For us it's probably far less important though I guess it would provide more cover for the likes of Tierney who may struggle with three 90 minutes in 10 days or if God forbid Robbo/Hickey are struggling to make it for June 14th. 

Edited by Hendricks

On 27/03/2024 at 23:04, JS_FFC said:

Piece in the daily mail this evening that Gareth Southgate and other coaches are lobbying for 26.

If that’s the case I’d love to see a wildcard pick (Doak?) but I’d imagine it just solidifies Taylor, Jack and another centre half 

The larger squad size last time meant we were able to get Patterson, Turnbull and Gilmour in. Turned out to be a good thing with how well Gilmour did and the amount of caps Patterson and him have.

Absolutely no idea if there is any possibility of Barnes saying yes to Steve Clarke and Scotland but given what has happened at St James's this afternoon we should be pursuing him immediately if there is. With their ever increasing injuries and him back fit and coming on to score he is going to get a lot of game time over the next couple of months. He could be exactly the boost the squad requires. 

23 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

If the squad number is increased to 26 then surely Clarke will at least put the question to Batnes.

It would be negligent nort to ask. And if that’s happened already and it’s been rejected they should be coming out and saying so. Far too good a player, who may just have a great couple of months ahead of him, for the speculation to end given our options and resources. Would be a huge boost to the squad. 

I said it before and will say it again. Harvey Barnes is exactly the type of player we needed to inject some fresh blood and quality in the side.

Steve Clarke - last seen saying he knows where we are if he or anyone wants a cap . 

Steve has done a very good job but we know he is a stubborn so and so. I very much doubt he has proactively spoken to HB. Which in my mind is an absolute dereliction of duty and why at times I cannot warm to S Clarke. 

I'm trying to understand what you think is actually happening here? Do you think that every single player called up for Scotland under the current manager has had to phone him up and say "eh, can you please pick me"?

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I said it before and will say it again. Harvey Barnes is exactly the type of player we needed to inject some fresh blood and quality in the side.

Steve Clarke - last seen saying he knows where we are if he or anyone wants a cap . 

Steve has done a very good job but we know he is a stubborn so and so. I very much doubt he has proactively spoken to HB. Which in my mind is an absolute dereliction of duty and why at times I cannot warm to S Clarke. 

Steve Clarke can't force Harvey Barnes to play for Scotland. Given Barnes is saying his dream is to play for England then I'd say it unlikely he'll be thinking about Scotland and so all Steve Clarke can do is leave the door open for if he changes his mind.

It's something that every player wants to do, to represent their country (England), but I'm fully aware of the quality that they have - so I think it takes a real good run of form or something special to get yourself into that squad. There's no reason why, if I get back to having a good run of games and hit my best form, that I can't be back involved in the squad (England). That's my dream, to be back involved in there and get myself more caps – that would be amazing. 

Harvey Barnes

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/features/harvey-barnes-programme-interview-23-24/