Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Greg Taylor's performances against Norway and Georgia were very, very far from "a good job" 

I'm sorry, but the guys just pish. Absolutely out of his depth everytime I see him for Scotland and for Celtic against any decent European teams. 

On 04/03/2024 at 00:53, HoBNob said:

Someone posted it further back in the thread but McTominays goal return for his xG is just stupid. time. 

Theres still a misunderstanding of how xG works, though.

Two players could accumulate a xG of 2 over 6 games, yet one could have more chance of scoring 2 goals in that time.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Two players could accumulate a xG of 2 over 6 games, yet one could have more chance of scoring 2 goals in that time.

Well yeah. I’d back a player who had four 0.5 xG shots any day over a player who had a hundred 0.02 xG shots 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course, a player could have two penalties and a decent attempt and have xG or two, or he could've been pinging them in from anywhere and had multiple very low xG shots. 

22 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Well yeah. I’d back a player who had four 0.5 xG shots any day over a player who had a hundred 0.02 xG shots 

This does imply (correctly IMO) that the xG model isn't actually accurate in estimating the chances of scoring on each occasion, because the expected number of goals *should* be equivalent for these two players.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This does imply (correctly IMO) that the xG model isn't actually accurate in estimating the chances of scoring on each occasion, because the expected number of goals *should* be equivalent for these two players.

I refer to it as a general guide. No substitute for watching and re-watching a game multiple times, but that's time consuming! For McTominay, I interpret the relationship between his goals and the xG of his shots as highlighting a change in his game - we know it's due to a tweak in his position/role. I think over time both numbers will converge.

I assume the xG of a shot is fixed: based on where a shot is taken from, but doesn't take into account who takes it. If so, that's an obvious flaw if Craig Gordon's xG for taking a penalty is the same as M'Bappe's.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I refer to it as a general guide. No substitute for watching and re-watching a game multiple times, but that's time consuming! For McTominay, I interpret the relationship between his goals and the xG of his shots as highlighting a change in his game - we know it's due to a tweak in his position/role. I think over time both numbers will converge.

I assume the xG of a shot is fixed: based on where a shot is taken from, but doesn't take into account who takes it. If so, that's an obvious flaw if Craig Gordon's xG for taking a penalty is the same as M'Bappe's.

Craig Gordon’s would be better, Scotland don’t miss penalties. 

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Depends on the model. Some are constantly training themselves on new data, some chose a random stopping point and use the figures.

Some use a range of values like the height of the ball when hit and how clear a shot of goal they had, others simply look at the position of the shot.

WyScouts is absolutely dog shit. Opta is better, then Statsbomb is the best.

Some clubs create their own models, which are valued compared against only themselves instead of leagues/countries/world like other models. Believe some companies can make individual ones for players but that information will never likely be public and it requires a minimum amount of shots/goals to be worthwhile, and that number has to be huge. 

32 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Dykes is now 3rd choice striker in an awful QPR side. Think his place is now under theat

Wouldn't have thought so, he is still playing regularly, plus has a good record/fit for Scotland, with SSC being quiet loyal to his players, he falls into the get the passport ready que. 😉 

6 minutes ago, Super Staggie said:

Wouldn't have thought so, he is still playing regularly, plus has a good record/fit for Scotland, with SSC being quiet loyal to his players, he falls into the get the passport ready que. 😉 

I'm a fan of dykes but he's struggling to get a game now. Need all our players playing regularly in the lead up to the euros. Same concerns for Patterson as well

1 minute ago, edinabear said:

I'm a fan of dykes but he's struggling to get a game now. Need all our players playing regularly in the lead up to the euros. Same concerns for Patterson as well

Yeah I do get it but being totally serious at present it Adams(not that one) then sorry its a bit of a head scratching if Dykes was not part of the squad, Shankland is a possible, but with Brown, Nisbet, Stewart all injured, Conway, Hardie and Doak (injured)unproven and ts getting to the point we might be calling Mo Johnston to see if he is available. 

Dykes is our David Healy.

Club sides struggle to get the best out him but he just fits at National level. 

Injury is all that stops him making the squad and playing this Summer.

On 07/03/2024 at 00:13, Alan Twelve said:

Dykes has started six and been sub in the other four of QPR's last 10 games. I think he'll be OK for game time.

Agreed.
Came on after 55 minutes in yesterday’s game v Middlesbrough. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Assuming everyone is fit, I think the squad is almost completely settled. I'd say the 22 below are almost certain to go. I reckon Souttar is most likely to be the 23rd pick, though there's perhaps a chance Clarke takes Cooper to have another naturally left sided defensive option. Or he could go with Greg Taylor, but I think Hickey's ability to play both sides gives us enough cover at wing back. I think there's enough versatility in that midfield without needing to take Ryan Jack. Someone like Ryan Fraser might have an outside chance as the squad is a touch lacking in pace and Clarke might want a winger just to be able to mix it up. A few months ago I thought Shankland was about 50/50, but given his form there's surely no way he won't go, even if only to be used off the bench in the last 10/15 minutes if we're chasing a goal.

Gunn
Gordon
Clark

Hickey
Patterson
Robertson
Tierney
McKenna
Hanley
Hendry
Porteous

McGregor 
Gilmour
McLean
McTominay
McGinn
Christie
Armstrong
Ferguson

Adams
Dykes
Shankland 

I think you've named everyone in contention, other than perhaps Liam Kelly as third choice goalkeeper (I don't want it either). I'd be surprised if the March squad is anything other than all of the available players named above, then the Euros will be about whittling them down again. 

I’m starting to get the fear already 

Full squad can compete, no doubt, even with our striker department being a level below the rest if the squad.

But…. it only takes a few key injuries to seriously weaken us 

Im a bit disappointed neither of Doak or Stewart took the leap forward I was hoping for 

Doak has time, but for a country of our resources as we all know getting exceptional talent across the pitch is a hard ask

*fully aware Doak hasn’t proven anything yet

Hopeful Shankland might surprise us 

The Roger Milla of Germany 24 😎

Doak is still injured and has been for a while now, not sure when he is expected back. 

It's a shame, because Liverpool have had so many injuries in the last couple of months, I think he would have featured quite a bit for them and had a number of starts had he been fit.