Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

On goalkeepers, barring Craig Gordon playing most games for Hearts between now and June, the keepers will be Gunn, Clark, and one of Gordon/Kelly.

This is going to depend heavily on whether Gordon is back to the required fitness level. If Clarke and his team, believe he is, I've no doubt Gordon will make the squad. If they don't then it'll be Kelly.

I'd loved to have seen Craig Gordon make a total recovery and get game time at the Euros but unfortunately, I think it's unlikely. Although, personally, I'd have him on the plane if he feels he's fit enough and is assesed as fit enough.

Edited by Gordon EF

33 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

There's a few who should be off the plane after tonight but Clarke will just stick with them regardless no doubt. 

More due to the reality that there really isn't anyone beyond the current squad really making a case to get in.

There are very few if any players who can consider themselves unlucky not be getting a chance to stake a claim despite this run. The squad is thin bar 8 or 9 "automatic if fit" picks. The fact no one is challenging the current squad "filler" tells you all you need to know about Clarke's dilemma. 

8 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

More due to the reality that there really isn't anyone beyond the current squad really making a case to get in.

This will come up a lot with Patterson. But with Hickey injured, and Ralston not really being any better at the moment than Patterson, it's a real concern.

I also think it's the same with our striking options. Really limited there.

17 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

On goalkeepers, barring Craig Gordon playing most games for Hearts between now and June, the keepers will be Gunn, Clark, and one of Gordon/Kelly.

This is going to depend heavily on whether Gordon is back to the required fitness level. If Clarke and his team, believe he is, I've no doubt Gordon will make the squad. If they don't then it'll be Kelly.

I'd loved to have seen Craig Gordon make a total recovery and get game time at the Euros but unfortunately, I think it's unlikely. Although, personally, I'd have him on the plane if he feels he's fit enough and is assesed as fit enough.

I think it's interesting that Clarke gave us nothing in terms of clues about the keepers across this break. In playing his established current No 1 for 180 mins he kicked the can further down the road. I said last week that if he fielded Gordon against N Ireland it was a strong indication he favoured getting him in the squad and getting him match fit. If he played Clark (or Kelly) at all it was a strong indication Gordon was outside the squad altogether. He did neither and there's no ammunition for any of us but personally I don't see the fact he didn't get any game time as helpful to Craig Gordon's case.

So given we all think most of the squad is set in stone what did we learn in this two game window and who helped or hurt their cause?

Well not that much really.

Goalkeepers - As above, no clues given. However, the fact Clarke didn't give Gordon any game time doesn't suggest he thinks he's back where he was (neither does the fact Naismith still has him behind Clark).

Defence - Hanley and McKenna being injured didn't help, particularly the former which leaves a lot of doubt about his availability for the summer. McKenna's place presumably is ok. Souttar had a horror show in Amsterdam and didn't help his cause. Cooper did nothing wrong last night but wasn't remotely up against the same level of player. Still I feel Cooper's probably ahead of Souttar and Souttar's cause hasn't been helped in this window. Patterson's also had a horror show last night and left us all hoping Hickey's fit but I doubt his place is under any serious threat from Ralston who didn't particularly help his own cause when he came on against the Dutch. Porteous wasn't great in Amsterdam but his place isn't under threat. Hendry was steady enough over two games and looks an established starter.

Midfield - Nothing really learned. We miss McGregor more than some would have you believe. Ferguson got some significant game time without starting either game. I don't think he did anything to suggest he should be starting but all of our midfield played well in Netherlands and massively underperformed last night.

Strikers - Shankland's done ok across two games without excelling. He's not hurt his case for being third striker at all. There are those who would say he's helped his case for being 1st choice. Maybe he has. Neither Dykes (in one start) nor Adams (in two sub appearances) did anything of note. Don't think either has his place under any threat though.

So overall not learned much. For me 23 will be:

Gunn, Clark, and either Gordon or Kelly

Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Hendry, Porteous, Hanley, McKenna

McGregor, Gilmour, McLean, McGinn, McTominay, Ferguson, Christie, Armstrong

Dykes, Adams, Shankland

And one other from Cooper, Souttar, Jack, Taylor, Ralston

If Hanley doesn't make it Cooper probably in, possibly Souttar.
If Hickey doesn't make it Ralston in.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The problem with Patterson is that a very limited full back who doesn't make so many mistakes is going to be better than a more talented one who is full of errors and lacking in confidence and game time. I don't think Stephen O'Donnell ever played as bad for Scotland as Patterson did last night, despite how limited a player he was at international level. I'm not sure who the equivalent to that would be right now, possibly Ralston, but Patterson on that form is a liability. I even wondered about moving Hendry to right back last night, it was that bad. 

It's the same old problem, though, we're constantly looking to protect our obvious weaknesses. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If Hickey doesn't make it Ralston in.

Might be a concern now that neither Robertson or Hickey make it. Haven’t seen any update on Robertson injury but it didn’t sound great. 
Squad with Paterson, Ralston, Taylor as full backs doesn’t sound great albeit obviously Tierney could play LWB/LB rather than LCB. 

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Might be a concern now that neither Robertson or Hickey make it. Haven’t seen any update on Robertson injury but it didn’t sound great. 
Squad with Paterson, Ralston, Taylor as full backs doesn’t sound great albeit obviously Tierney could play LWB/LB rather than LCB. 

Really? I've heard nothing other than he's going for a scan to see if there's ligament damage but the fact he played on 5 - 10 mins after doing it implied it wasn't seriously damaged surely? Although Reece Mimnaugh played on 10 minutes having done his cruciate earlier this season I suppose!

It was a long way away from me in the ground and I haven't seen any replays.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I had actually forgotten that Zander Clark played for Queen of the South.

Almost two seasons. Not sure the relevance of the comment though? One of three (or four) ex QoS players in the current set up depending on whether you count Robby McCrorie. Five if Max Johnston makes any late reappearance.

54 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Really? I've heard nothing other than he's going for a scan to see if there's ligament damage but the fact he played on 5 - 10 mins after doing it implied it wasn't seriously damaged surely? 

Aye I could have put that better. Didn’t see any of the game and just going on comments from a mate who was there and a “concern” picked up on a report on the game on line. As you say he may well be fine. Just an attempt to add to the discussion re who’s on the plane. 

19 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye I could have put that better. Didn’t see any of the game and just going on comments from a mate who was there and a “concern” picked up on a report on the game on line. As you say he may well be fine. Just an attempt to add to the discussion re who’s on the plane. 

I don't think he's "fine". He went off injured and the Liverpool press are suggesting he needs a scan and faces another spell on the sidelines. However, I'm assuming as it appears to be ankle ligaments and he played on for 10 mins or so, that it's probably not all that bad. He may miss 2 or 3 weeks but it's surely not the kind of injury that makes him a doubt for the summer.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think he's "fine". He went off injured and the Liverpool press are suggesting he needs a scan and faces another spell on the sidelines. However, I'm assuming as it appears to be ankle ligaments and he played on for 10 mins or so, that it's probably not all that bad. He may miss 2 or 3 weeks but it's surely not the kind of injury that makes him a doubt for the summer.

Aye hopefully so. 

5 minutes ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Have UEFA said it will only be 23 man squads?

At AFCON, countries were allowed up to 27 in the squad.

England keen to make it 26 man! Favours the big countries if that happens! 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/27/southgate-backs-push-for-26-man-squads-at-euro-2024-amid-injury-pile-up

4 minutes ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Have UEFA said it will only be 23 man squads?

At AFCON, countries were allowed up to 27 in the squad.

Piece in the daily mail this evening that Gareth Southgate and other coaches are lobbying for 26.

If that’s the case I’d love to see a wildcard pick (Doak?) but I’d imagine it just solidifies Taylor, Jack and another centre half