Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

2 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

If Ryan Jack gets selected it just screams desperation and that we genuinely have no one else to select……..

Aye I was hoping we could of added in Hackney and see if he would be willing to commit to us, far higher ceiling than Jack 

Rightly or wrongly I think Clarke will want to give Ryan Jack a seat on the plane partly to reward his contribution in getting us to Euro 2020 as well as the current one. Jack and McLean have both been loyal servants to Clarke and both missed the last tournament injured. Obviously if they were significantly inferior players to the alternative options then it’d be wrong to make sentimental picks, but I don’t really see (m)any options that are better than both of those guys. I think they’ll both be on the plane.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Rightly or wrongly I think Clarke will want to give Ryan Jack a seat on the plane partly to reward his contribution in getting us to Euro 2020 as well as the current one. Jack and McLean have both been loyal servants to Clarke and both missed the last tournament injured. Obviously if they were significantly inferior players to the alternative options then it’d be wrong to make sentimental picks, but I don’t really see (m)any options that are better than both of those guys. I think they’ll both be on the plane.

If were calling someone up for the euros for purely sentimental reasons then that would obviously be wrongly.

3 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

If were calling someone up for the euros for purely sentimental reasons then that would obviously be wrongly.

Did you miss the part of my post where I said that their respective selections won’t be “purely sentimental”?

8 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Did you miss the part of my post where I said that their respective selections won’t be “purely sentimental”?

In any way sentimental would be wrong. Either way your not picking the team. So the reasons for selection would be guesswork.

Personally I don't think Steve Clarke would be picking players for any kind of sentimental reasons.

6 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

In any way sentimental would be wrong. Either way your not picking the team. So the reasons for selection would be guesswork.

Personally I don't think Steve Clarke would be picking players for any kind of sentimental reasons.

Hes proved to be a loyal guy in the past and like a settled squad. I’m 100% sure McLean makes the plane barring injury and would give Jack a very decent chance (80%+). Jack was on the bubble for me beforehand but the Ferguson injury and expanded squad make him pretty much a shoe in imho. 

4 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Hes proved to be a loyal guy in the past and like a settled squad. I’m 100% sure McLean makes the plane barring injury and would give Jack a very decent chance (80%+). Jack was on the bubble for me beforehand but the Ferguson injury and expanded squad make him pretty much a shoe in imho. 

But Jack hasn't kicked a ball since the 1st week in March and there's been no suggestion he's back imminently. I'm not ruling him out yet, I agree if he's fit and plays 2 or 3 games for Rangers before the end of the season he would go. But I'm not sure how you can claim he's 80% to go when he's not seen a football for two months and the suggestion is he's unlikely to play again this season.

As I said on previous page, I accept Hickey hasn't seen a ball for far longer but he's far more important to us. Hanley's in a similar boat of course but at least he actually made Norwich's bench last weekend. There are signs he may be fit.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

But Jack hasn't kicked a ball since the 1st week in March and there's been no suggestion he's back imminently. I'm not ruling him out yet, I agree if he's fit and plays 2 or 3 games for Rangers before the end of the season he would go. But I'm not sure how you can claim he's 80% to go when he's not seen a football for two months and the suggestion is he's unlikely to play again this season.

As I said on previous page, I accept Hickey hasn't seen a ball for far longer but he's far more important to us. Hanley's in a similar boat of course but at least he actually made Norwich's bench last weekend. There are signs he may be fit.

I’ve got to be honest, I don’t watch a lot of Rangers games so I didn’t even realise Ryan Jack is injured. I’ve only seen Hickey, McTominay, Tierney and Armstrong listed as doubts for the tournament whilst Ferguson is definitely out and Patterson is unlikely to be fit.

I don’t think you take a punt on Jack in the same way that you might on the other guys FWIW. Especially if McTominay does make it, we are pretty strong in those deeper central midfield positions with McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor and Kenny McLean, plus you can drop Christie or McGinn in there if need be. I’m more concerned about the attacking midfield positions/wingers with Ferguson out, Armstrong facing a race against time too. That only really leaves McGinn and Christie (which perhaps makes it less likely that they’ll play a deeper role and in turn strengthens the case to take Jack if fit).

Guys like Ryan Fraser, James Forrest and Ben Doak aren’t being mentioned because they are some kind of world beating silver bullet. They’re being mentioned because they play a position that we are a bit short on depth in and already have one player missing the tournament and another is a doubt. 

35 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I don’t think you take a punt on Jack in the same way that you might on the other guys FWIW. Especially if McTominay does make it, we are pretty strong in those deeper central midfield positions with McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor and Kenny McLean, plus you can drop Christie or McGinn in there if need be.

I don't think any of those players are actually really that defensive minded in the role though, none of them are particularly good tacklers or great at breaking up play, which is what Jack was good at when he was at his best. Whether Jack can still do that now is debateable, but if he is in the squad that will be why, because I think it's actually a type of player we're really struggling to produce to any sort of decent level.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

I’ve got to be honest, I don’t watch a lot of Rangers games so I didn’t even realise Ryan Jack is injured. I’ve only seen Hickey, McTominay, Tierney and Armstrong listed as doubts for the tournament whilst Ferguson is definitely out and Patterson is unlikely to be fit.

I don’t think you take a punt on Jack in the same way that you might on the other guys FWIW. Especially if McTominay does make it, we are pretty strong in those deeper central midfield positions with McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor and Kenny McLean, plus you can drop Christie or McGinn in there if need be. I’m more concerned about the attacking midfield positions/wingers with Ferguson out, Armstrong facing a race against time too. That only really leaves McGinn and Christie (which perhaps makes it less likely that they’ll play a deeper role and in turn strengthens the case to take Jack if fit).

Guys like Ryan Fraser, James Forrest and Ben Doak aren’t being mentioned because they are some kind of world beating silver bullet. They’re being mentioned because they play a position that we are a bit short on depth in and already have one player missing the tournament and another is a doubt. 

In a 26 man squad Ryan jack is 100% selected if he was fit. There was maybe a debate about whether he went in a 23 man squad but pretty certain he'd make a 26 man one. The point is though he's not fit and at this stage appears unlikely to play again this season. I don't think he goes.

23 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Jack has barely played this season. I would be very surprised if he is selected 

He has in theory at least played 24 times this season (22 for Rangers and 2 for Scotland). However, half those appearances were as a sub. He's not kicked a ball at all since 13 minutes against Benfica in early March. Hes not started a game since early February (against Ayr in the Cup) and he's started only two games (the other was against Livingston also in February) since early November. I agree. He's too far away from it now. Maybe if he came back this weekend and plays their remaining 4 games, especially in light of the injuries elsewhere, but I can't see it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm yet to see a convincing argument beyond sentiment that Craig Gordon will be picked ahead of Liam Kelly. 

Because (regardless of game time) Gordon is a better goalie than Kelly. Its that simple.

If Angus Gunn and Zander Clark got injured at the tournament, are you genuinely saying you would trust Kelly in goals over Gordon? If you would then I suspect you would be in the minority. 

Assuming the goalies are Gunn, Clark and Gordon, I actually think Gordon would get the nod over Clark too if anything happened to Gunn at the tournament. 

Yep Gordon is the #2 goalie. Just because Hearts have Clark ahead of him doesn’t mean Scotland do. Steve Clarke has demonstrated that he has reservations about Clark and Kelly.

I wouldn’t put it past SC to take all four of them with the expanded squad size.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Because (regardless of game time) Gordon is a better goalie than Kelly. Its that simple.

If Angus Gunn and Zander Clark got injured at the tournament, are you genuinely saying you would trust Kelly in goals over Gordon? If you would then I suspect you would be in the minority. 

Assuming the goalies are Gunn, Clark and Gordon, I actually think Gordon would get the nod over Clark too if anything happened to Gunn at the tournament. 

I've consistently posted, including in the post you quoted but you edited that bit out, that I'd have Gordon ahead of Kelly every time. If he was playing I"d have him number one.

He's not though and Clarke dropped a very broad hint back in March that he needed to be. Two games for Hearts since and Clarke himself passed up the opportunity to give him game time v Northern Ireland when he easily could have. 

Kelly's had a poor season but he and Motherwell have certainly at the same time improved their form in the last couple of months.

I dont want it to be the case but I think Kelly goes if its picked this week.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

58 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I wouldn’t put it past SC to take all four of them with the expanded squad size.

There's no point in naming four - if a goalkeeper gets injured you can call up a replacement.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's no point in naming four - if a goalkeeper gets injured you can call up a replacement.

Yeah this, I meant to say that, otherwise likewise given the expanded squad I wouldn't have put it past him to name four. It would be utterly pointless though. As you say injured goalkeepers can be replaced.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Yep Gordon is the #2 goalie. Just because Hearts have Clark ahead of him doesn’t mean Scotland do. Steve Clarke has demonstrated that he has reservations about Clark and Kelly.

He has? When was this?

Is there any reason Lewis Morgan isn't being considered as one of the forwards? 

Was he not third top goalscorer in the MLS or something? 

57 minutes ago, Zazu said:

Is there any reason Lewis Morgan isn't being considered as one of the forwards? 

Was he not third top goalscorer in the MLS or something? 

IMO based on absolutely nothing , other than afaia Clarke hasn’t had them watched in the flesh I don’t think he rates the league highly enough.

I don’t understand otherwise why he’s not keen on at least seeing what Morgan and Gauld have to offer

15 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

IMO based on absolutely nothing , other than afaia Clarke hasn’t had them watched in the flesh I don’t think he rates the league highly enough.

I don’t understand otherwise why he’s not keen on at least seeing what Morgan and Gauld have to offer

Cause Clarke doesn't rate the league which is perplexing considering a lot of other nations similarly to us pick players from the MLS