Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Quite strange that he didn't have an extended squad for the camp as England have done, especially with some marginal decisions (McCrorie over Johnstone, extra forward slot not being used where Conway perhaps could have been looked at). You'd think even 30 down to 26 isn't that much different to 28 down to 26 and allows a few more to get involved in camp, get some minutes maybe in the friendlies etc.

I think we're at the "not fucking about" stage. This camp is about pinning down who will play and the battle tactics for the three games.

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

How do you pronounce Doak's name?

Is it like Doke as in "okay doke"?

Is it "Do-ack"?

I would like to not look foolish when I mute the TV and do my own commentary.

It's  pronounced Ben GOAT

17 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

How do you pronounce Doak's name?

Is it like Doke as in "okay doke"?

Is it "Do-ack"?

I would like to not look foolish when I mute the TV and do my own commentary.

It’s pronounced ‘Ben’. He’s a humble lad.

I’d don’t really see many others that Clarke could have picked

Maybe Ryan Fraser but he’s now in the Championship, not playing regularly and probably burnt his bridges previously 

With the injury doubts and / or lack of minutes for Hanley & Cooper there was maybe a case for Dom Hyam or Liam Lindsay - but they have no international experience and Clarke is staying loyal

37 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

I think we're at the "not fucking about" stage. This camp is about pinning down who will play and the battle tactics for the three games.

This, England can afford to f**k about in the friendlies and probably ease themselves in to the competition a bit. We need to hit the ground running. If we were going to experiment the last round of friendlies was the time. 

A strong squad. Limited in some places, especially RWB, but we knew we were short in that area. As it stands, just one player (Hickey) out who'd be a stick on starter all being equal?

Not bad going. 

11 Defenders makes you think there's a strong chance one of them ends up chopped along with the goalie (Kelly) but it could easily be Ryan Jack, too. If he takes all 11 defenders it wouldn't be some massive shock, but I believe there are question marks over Souttar's fitness. Hanley too, albeit less so, I think?

A lot to be excited about and the squad does look stronger than the last euros. A lot of these players are better now than they were then. 

Hopefully that Frankenstein's monster diddy Lundstrum doesn't cut Mcgregor in half in the cup final.  Everyone else are done for the domestic season, aren't they? 

Aw, McTominay in the english final.

Merde. 

No point playing him in that, Ten Hag. Listen to your moronic supporters on twitter, he's not utd class etc etc. 

10 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

A strong squad. Limited in some places, especially RWB, but we knew we were short in that area. As it stands, just one player (Hickey) out who'd be a stick on starter all being equal?

Not bad going. 

11 Defenders makes you think there's a strong chance one of them ends up chopped along with the goalie (Kelly) but it could easily be Ryan Jack, too. If he takes all 11 defenders it wouldn't be some massive shock, but I believe there are question marks over Souttar's fitness. Hanley too, albeit less so, I think?

A lot to be excited about and the squad does look stronger than the last euros. A lot of these players are better now than they were then. 

Hopefully that Frankenstein's monster diddy Lundstrum doesn't cut Mcgregor in half in the cup final.  Everyone else are done for the domestic season, aren't they? 

Merde. 

No point playing him in that, Ten Hag. Listen to your moronic supporters on twitter, he's not utd class etc etc. 

Cooper, Adams, Armstrong(unlikely to play) have the English Championship play-off - Sunday I think...or maybe Monday as its an English holiday then

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was always going to kick that can down the road as far as he could. He's waiting for an injury in training or in one of the friendlies saving him making the call because he knows ultimately he's going to have to shatter either Gordon or Kelly. In Gordon's case ending his international career if he does so.

I'm still not 100% convinced he's not going to end up taking all four, particularly if Armstrong doesn't make it and creates a gap.

I think it would be really stupid to take all 4 provided no one else can't make it through injury. Because we can bring Kelly in if someone gets injured anyway.

I think he will take Gordon for what he can bring to the group and like you say it's pretty much the end of his international career.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think it would be really stupid to take all 4 provided no one else can't make it through injury. Because we can bring Kelly in if someone gets injured anyway.

I think he will take Gordon for what he can bring to the group and like you say it's pretty much the end of his international career.

Looks as if Kelly today announced his retirement from football - signing to sit on the Rangers bench is effectively the same thing.  McCrorie may well have made the squad if he had found a number one spot elsewhere.  Had to look up Jon McLaughlin on wikipedia to see that he is still a Rangers player and played zero games this last season.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Cooper, Adams, Armstrong(unlikely to play) have the English Championship play-off - Sunday I think...or maybe Monday as its an English holiday then

Aw baws, didn't realise that. 

Hopefully if Adams  and/or Cooper does feature they come through okay. 

Posted (edited)

Happy with the squad. Wonder who'll be cut. There's no one I'd argue to be in or out. I thought we might have had a more youthful element, Doak aside. Funny all the talk about Barron in the end. A lot of the squad is 30 or over. Not a complaint, just an observation.

I really like how the regular's (Hanley, Armstrong and Jack) have the chance to prove their fitness. Good management imo. Good to have Forrest back as well as Doak and McCrorie getting selected.

All in all a well balanced squad with something for everyone to be happy about (apart from Dundee fans maybe)

Edited by 2426255

Just now, 2426255 said:

Happy with the squad. Wonder who'll be cut. There's no one I'd argue to be in or out. I thought we might have had a more youthful element, Doak aside. Funny all the talk about Barron in the end. A lot of the squad is 30 or over. Not a complaint, just an observation.

I really like how the regular's (Hanley, Armstrong and Jack) have the chance to prove their fitness. Good management imo. Good to have Forrest back as well as Doak and McCrorie getting selected.

Agree with the above.  I am really excited that Doak is in the squad.  Clarke will have been in touch with saff at liverpool and they will have been positive about his fitness and appearances in training.  Last Euro's we were excited about Gilmour and he was brilliant in the game against England (then discounted v Croatia for getting too close to Mount and James (I think) Doak is that bit different and has electric pace.....cant see him starting a game but he is an excellent option to bring on and will excite the fans

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

All in all a well balanced squad with something for everyone to be happy about (apart from Dundee fans maybe)

I’m not sure what’s most unbearable on twitter -  the Dundee fans, the Kilmarnock fans or the Celtic and Aberdeen fans about Jack. 

Still yet to see anyone suggest a defensive midfielder to replace Jack. 

49 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Merde. 

Well obviously not just McGregor involved in the Scottish Cup Final. Potentially Ralston, Forrest, Taylor, Souttar and Jack also.

McTominay in the FA Cup Final

Hendry and McKenna both have another club game.

Plus........

37 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

This. It's Sunday

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well obviously not just McGregor involved in the Scottish Cup Final. Potentially Ralston, Forrest, Taylor, Souttar and Jack also.

McTominay in the FA Cup Final

Hendry and McKenna both have another club game.

Plus........

This. It's Sunday

Ha yeah, I just don't think it's anywhere close to as bad if any of the other rangers or celtic players get an injury as it is if McGregor is ruled out. Forrest would be next in the 'please don't get hurt' stakes, but he'd be a ways back from McGregor who is a definite starter and pivotal to our chances of doing well. 

It's also worth saying that Ralston, Jack and Souttar probably won't play at all on Saturday.

Didn't realise Hendry and McKenna's season's were still ongoing. When do they play, if you know? Is this weekend the last, or are they playing in the week?

Edited by AndyDD

Pretty happy with that squad I really wasn't expecting Doak to be named. Welcome as it is I still have a feeling he'll be cut barring injuries. 

Good to see McCrorie getting a chance.

Stevie loves versatility in a player

16 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Ha yeah, I just don't think it's anywhere close to as bad if any of the other rangers or celtic players get an injury as it is if McGregor is ruled out. Forrest would be next in the 'please don't get hurt' stakes, but he'd be a ways back from McGregor who is a definite starter and pivotal to our chances of doing well. 

It's also worth saying that Ralston, Jack and Souttar probably won't play at all on Saturday.

Didn't realise Hendry and McKenna's season's were still ongoing. When do they play, if you know? Is this weekend the last, or are they playing in the week?

McKenna's last game is on Sunday v Nordsjaelland

Hendry's Al-Ettifaq still have two games left. One tomorrow and one on Monday. Hendry will be the last one finished with club football.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

McKenna's last game is on Sunday v Nordsjaelland

Hendry's Al-Ettifaq still have two games left. One tomorrow and one on Monday. Hendry will be the last one finished with club football.

Righto. 

Good thing we've plenty options at centre-back. No reason to assume either will get injured, I know. 

If we do really go into this with just the one starter out, that's a decent return given the sheer weight of games, and the number of players contesting for serious prizes deep into their seasons.