Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

2 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Dunno, Ralston has had a handful of starts since Christmas and 17x unused from the bench. Maybe his time in dark blue is waning a bit like SOD after the Euro's. McCrorie is at least putting numbers down.

Ralston was literally on the pitch against the Dutch in March at right back. McCrorie had one call up in the last campaign and didn't get on. I'm not seeing any evidence that if one of Hickey / Patterson had made it then Ralston would have dropped out and McCrorie stayed in.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

I see where you are coming from but what is the point in bringing in Kelly to a provisional squad?

Being overly simplistic is it easier having 4 keepers for training sessions and small sided games? I guess we could have invited him without being formally named in the squad. Also Clarke is loyal to players so maybe its a reward for that knowing full well he will only be in Germany if one of the other 3 keepers gets injured.

4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It's McGinn that's been captain when Robertson goes off or doesn't play and I think even McTominay before McGregor.

Yeah this. There are actually a lot of "captains" in the squad. Robertson's not his club captain but he's been Scotland captain for a long time. McGinn, McGregor, Cooper and Hanley are al club captains. That's before we even mention Tierney and McTominay as potential candidates.

12 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

If Doak remains in the squad he'll be used as an impact sub .

On the topic of Gauld:

Gauld will only be eligible for Canada after the 2026 world cup. He'll be 30 by then. Which means he'll be 34 at the next one.

I thought that was the case as well, however he arrived in Canada in 2021 and eligibility for citizenship says he has to have been in the country for three of the previous five years so I believe he will be eligible in time for 2026 WC.

I see where you are coming from but what is the point in bringing in Kelly to a provisional squad?

Nagelsmann has 4 keepers in the German squad and says it's do with training and balancing the workload. Could be a lot of shite but I suspect when you're bringing such a large number of players into a provisional squad how training is going to work comes into the thinking of international managers.

Just now, 101 said:

Being overly simplistic is it easier having 4 keepers for training sessions and small sided games? I guess we could have invited him without being formally named in the squad. Also Clarke is loyal to players so maybe its a reward for that knowing full well he will only be in Germany if one of the other 3 keepers gets injured.

He was always going to kick that can down the road as far as he could. He's waiting for an injury in training or in one of the friendlies saving him making the call because he knows ultimately he's going to have to shatter either Gordon or Kelly. In Gordon's case ending his international career if he does so.

I'm still not 100% convinced he's not going to end up taking all four, particularly if Armstrong doesn't make it and creates a gap.

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

That is maybe the only thing that I thought was odd. However, what is the alternative? Take another player from outside the regulars who would likely be cut anyway? 

13 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

"here Scotland, take your one tenth of coverage of anything that is important to you - proportionately you can't argue with that". 

That's certainly the case in terms of BBC investment in rights for radio coverage and highlights programmes of league football. If anything I think the service provided up here by the UK's public service broadcaster is about 1/100th of the standard on offer south of the border.

Perhaps not a popular opinion here but if I was the gaffer I'd be dropping Greg Taylor and one of the goalkeepers there. Tierney and Robbo cover left back and there's 7 centre backs there with McCrorie an emergency cover option (James Forrest being the emergency RWB cover if Ralston wasn't available). I expect Clarke will take Taylor though.

I'm not really surprised with any inclusion other than Doak and it may well be him that drops out. Chat is Gordon will drop out but I'd rather it was Liam Kelly. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps not a popular opinion here but if I was the gaffer I'd be dropping Greg Taylor and one of the goalkeepers there. Tierney and Robbo cover left back and there's 7 centre backs there with McCrorie an emergency cover option (James Forrest being the emergency RWB cover if Ralston wasn't available). I expect Clarke will take Taylor though.

I'm not really surprised with any inclusion other than Doak and it may well be him that drops out. Chat is Gordon will drop out but I'd rather it was Liam Kelly. 

If Robertson has to go off near the end of a game where we're defending a lead, you'd surely want to just chuck Taylor on rather than having to shift Tierney away from the middle (or have someone like McKenna or Cooper lumbering about at left wing-back). It makes more sense to drop a centre-back from the squad if this is your argument.

Posted (edited)

These large squads (26 for tournaments) are just like the nonsense amount of subs available on the bench in the Scottish game.

Solely helps the big teams who have two starting elevens already.

I can understand why they were increased but that should have just been a temporary measure and we should be back to 22/23 men squads maximum.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

Just now, craigkillie said:

If Robertson has to go off near the end of a game where we're defending a lead, you'd surely want to just chuck Taylor on rather than having to shift Tierney away from the middle (or have someone like McKenna or Cooper lumbering about at left wing-back). It makes more sense to drop a centre-back from the squad if this is your argument.

I don't really see a problem shifting Tierney over, we've done it before. As I say I expect Clarke to take Taylor and I'm fine with that, I'm just not a massive fan of him.

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You're not willing to consider the possibility that he maybe just thinks Doak and Forrest are better? I mean, you may well be right but it's not the ONLY reason he might have preferred others. As I said when all the "Ryan Fraser has to be called up now" stuff started a couple of months ago, he's not even been an automatic pick for Southampton this season, he's been on the bench more often than starting. The impact he's had there was exaggerated.

That said, completely accept he's been over-looked for someone with a month of form at the end of the season who has barely been seen for the 12 months before and a teenager who's been injured for five months!

I don't think any of the centre backs will be dropping out.

Oh cmon man, he's probably our best winger we can choose from atm, very pacey, works hard attacking and defending, can play wing back too, he gives us something different that you think Clarke would like. 

He wasn't being picked prior to this squad announcement either (when Doak was injured and pre-forrest form) then he picks Doak and Forrest over him as well as announcing 7 CB's not to mention the 4 keepers.

There is something not quite right with the whole situation and I'm sure Clarke will give some vague answer on it if he is pressed on it by the media. It is similar to the Ben White issue with England where you don't quite know what the real story is.

24 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

"here Scotland, take your one tenth of coverage of anything that is important to you - proportionately you can't argue with that". 

And the thing is that people are fine with that.

A classic symptom of an inferiority complex and a bit of Stockholm syndrome.

He's the fourth choice, he can come along and train with them in the meantime and if any of the other three get an injury he's already been part of the group. It's not like having Kelly there now is taking away a space from an outfielder: if he wanted to include another player just now he'd just make it a provisional squad of 29, and if he didn't want Kelly involved it'd be 27.

18 minutes ago, 101 said:

16 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Nagelsmann has 4 keepers in the German squad and says it's do with training and balancing the workload. Could be a lot of shite but I suspect when you're bringing such a large number of players into a provisional squad how training is going to work comes into the thinking of international managers.

Fair point lads. Hadn't thought of ot in such a practical way.

Could make an argument for bringing in a traffic cone to do a similar job though.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

We've come a long way from the times when most folk were saying Doak wouldn't go, late last year - all that's happened is he hasn't played a minute since!

Indeed we have, sure they will be on to hold their hands up shortly.

Fair point lads. Hadn't thought of ot in such a practical way.

Could make an argument for bringing in a traffic cone to do a similar job though.

God no. A traffice cone would be too difficult an opponent