Stenhousemuir -vs- Peterhead (Tuesday 14 November 2023)

Mikey is certainly up there on recent form but I would agree with the the keyboard hardman that Finlay Gray remains the best midfielder in the division.

But I wouldn't swap the little dork for our Mikey all the same. I prefer them big and strapping.

30 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Mikey is certainly up there on recent form but I would agree with the the keyboard hardman that Finlay Gray remains the best midfielder in the division.

But I wouldn't swap the little dork for our Mikey all the same. I prefer them big and strapping.

You guys still can't get over his 80-yard run and goal at Ochilview last season.  The one where your defenders looked as if they were wearing diver's boots.

47 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

You guys still can't get over his 80-yard run and goal at Ochilview last season.  The one where your defenders looked as if they were wearing diver's boots.

Another dark day of the Swift era.

Our lads chasing back like when ye canny get moving in a dream as the wee man sauntered through.

Disgusting.

Disappointing lack of chat on this thread  considering this is the biggest sporting event in the country tonight.

Warriors 2-0 up and cruising by the looks of it.

Spoiler

Carlo Pignatiello is the best midfielder, best defender and best winger in the league. And if we could clone him and play him in all 10 outfield positions we would stroll to the title fwiw. He was absolutely class at centre-half against St Mirren in pre-season too. An absolute superstar.

What a performance, every player on the park stepped up and gave it everything. Nicky Jamieson was solid at the back, bossed their forwards all game. Andersonand Wedderburn controlled the midfield and Aitken lead the line superbly. 

Broony scored an absolute beauty into the top bin from about 20 yards and we could've won by more, if we had taken our chances. 

Fantastic to see the work rate and commitment of the players... Jamieson cheering and shouting up the tunnel was tremendous to see. 

Can only echo OFS’ comments - the team were magnificent tonight - but I think it’s also worth mentioning Kinlay Bilham as I thought he was brilliant tonight too. His desire to win his 50/50s started the moves that led to both our goals and he won the majority of the diagonal balls that Peterhead continually put in his direction.

It was such a commanding performance. Mikey Anderson was excellent but in that 2nd half Nicky Jamieson was just everywhere. We could have taken the rest of the back line off and let him to get on with it himself.

Really encouraging and for the first time in years it is a real joy going to the games. So many positive performances across the entire team. These are good times.

On 13/11/2023 at 16:52, Neilly said:

I take it back. If he can add goals to his game like tonight then there's no contest. What a moment he is in just now.

We were so good tonight it could have been four or five. DJ could have stayed in the hoose in all honesty.

Just fantastic stuff all over the park but above all else we are an absolute gang who will work their socks off for each other.

A fantastic team goal and then one of the best goals I've ever seen at Ochilview from Adam Brown.

1_SHOWBIZ-Typecasting-3.thumb.jpg.58988fb8a30a4f2c101704f25f96b8eb.jpg

That really felt like a statement victory tonight. The first half was as good as I've seen us in some time and although we were under moderate pressure at points after the interval, it was a  largely comfortable evening. It's not often you come away from beating the league leaders - who had won their previous six matches, by the way - complaining that you should have scored a couple more, but here we are. I really believe this side has what it takes to win the division and tonight confirmed it.

Everyone played to a high standard today and everyone contributed something positive. The best player on the park was Mikey Anderson, again, whose passing, control and direct running saw us gain and advantage we would not relinquish. He opened the scoring, slamming Kinlay Bilham's low cross into the net, and then teed up Adam Brown for a goal-of-the-season contender. Anderson wasn't quite as dominant in the second half but always looked good in and out of possession. His improvement at the club has been extraordinary - one of the wretched "BSC lot" signed by Stephen Swift in the summer of 2021, there were points where he looked badly out of his depth in League 2, but he's blossomed over his two years to the point where he's the best midfielder in the division. It's credit to the player and to Gary Naysmith, who's entrusted him in the middle of the park, for his development. If it's not happening already, we really must look into extending his contract beyond the end of the season.

Nicky Jamieson was also terrific at centre-back, heading away everything that came into his field of vision. As Peterhead ran out of ideas and lumped the ball forward, he was vital in making sure it never entered our penalty box. Jamieson was as important in the second half as Anderson was in the first. Brown's goal was breathtaking, the kind of thing you only ever see in a video game, and I can't wait to watch it back. He's another player who's flourishing in recent weeks. Ross Taylor's cameo was one of the most entertaining I can remember, and every single thing he did had you laughing. If only Matty Aitken had tucked away the chance at the death that began with Taylor slipping past two opponents on the flank! Everyone else's performance ranged from "very good" to "excellent"; it was a fun evening.

Peterhead looked nippy in spells but never really threatened our goal. There were a couple of efforts on target, but they were straight at Darren Jamieson, and they created some mild consternation when they dribbled into our box, but these moments were fleeting, and Stenhousemuir withstood their moderate offence. By the end, all they had to offer was pumping the ball upfield in the hope Rory McAllister could knock something down for Kieran Shanks but it didn't happen; they could probably have played all evening without scoring. Joe McKee looked good, right enough, and his range of passing was always a danger.

Let's hope this positive feeling continues and the team can take it to Stranraer on Saturday. Our record at Stair Park in recent years is not just poor, but we seem to reserve our very worst performances for Wigtown - Davie Irons' last match, some of Swift's dark days, our final visit there last season. If we can pick up three points here and finally put that crap run to bed, I fancy us a bit.